laura miller

Work permit on the K1

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My fiance is finally going to be able to move here at the end of the month. We have a small problem though. I live in the Bay Area and it is quite expensive. I'd really like for my fiance to get a work permit as soon as possible. How long does it typically take? I've heard about 3 months but not sure.

If it's 3 months, I will just have to support him and him not work at all? I feel like I can't be the only one going through this and wanted to know what other people are doing.

Thanks!

-Laura

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Your fiance may be able to get a temporary work authorization at the POE, but as a rule that only happens at JFK and only if you ask for it.

It is, in essence, useless, and if JFK isn't convenient for you I advise you not to waste your time, as you fiance cannot work with the EAD alone-he needs a Social Security card as well. That takes some time, and as the temporary EAD is only good for 90 days it is usually expired or expiring by the time you get your SS card. If, by some miracle, he gets his SS card before the EAD stamp expires and manages to start working, if the temporary EAD expires and he has a job, he will have to stop working until a new one is issued.

It is much more common that your fiance will not be able to work until he receives the EAD during adjustment of status after you are married. This is an eventuality that you really need to be prepared for, and yes, it can take a few months.

well ur fiance can get a temp EAD at JFK POE. I have heard that's about the only airport issuing them now. My husband(then fiance) got his at JFK in June 2004. He received his SSN# the very next month and began working a few days later. He didn't stop working even when it was expired. No one asked him about it and we didn't get any flack about it either when we went to our AOS interview. They never inquired about it. Checkout my timeline below so you can get a better idea of what we went thru.

Sweetee

A good marriage begins when both partners feel they got better than they deserve~~~~~~~~~~~~~

K1 TIMELINE

09/23/2003...NOA1(TSC)

02/05/2004...NOA2

02/16/2004...NVC CLEARED

03/09/2004...PACKET RECEIVED(FIANCEE PICKED UP)

06/07/2004...INTERVIEW DATE(SUCCESSFULL.....GOD IS IN CONTROL)

06/10/2004...VISA IN HAND

06/25/2004...USA ARRIVAL

06/29/2004...Applied for SSN

07/06/2004...Applied for Job(SUCCESS)

07/12/2004...SSN arrived in mail

07/15/2004...Began new Job

08/11/2004...WEDDING DATE....(Court)

09/15/2004...EAD & I-485 filed(via infopass)

09/27/2004...EAD & I-485 Receipt date

10/01/2004...NOA 1

10/08/2004...Received Driver's License

11/22/2004...Biometrics

12/27/2004...EAD approval

12/31/2004...EAD card arrives

01/01/2005...Church Wedding(Happy New Year!!!)

03/29/2005...I-485 interview(APPROVED!!!)

04/08/2005...Green Card arrival

12/29/2006...Lift Conditions pending(90 day advance filing)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

From what I understand you can apply for SSN from about 2 weeks of arriving in the USA but before you get married. Then aftyer you get married file the AOS as well as the work permit and the AP if you wish to travel abroad before you get the green card. Im not sure on how long it will take for you to receive the work permit sorry :( but make sure you apply for SSN BEFORE YOU GET MARRIED

Lina (UKC)

PLEASE REMEMBER TO UPDATE YOUR TIMELINE AS THE STATISTICS ON THIS FORUM ARE CALCULATED VIA THE TIMELINES. PLEASE GO TO: http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

WAITING FOR AN INTERVIEW DATE AT LONDON? COME JOIN US HERE: <a

London Interview list

http://www.frappr.com/visaapplicantsvianebraska/map]http://www.frappr.com/visaapplicantsvianebraska/map</a>

Frapper map of the world for those who applied for marriage based visa through Nebraska, It's a good way to actually see where people are, if anyone is near you, send messages to discuss, vent, or share even meet up!!!

27 Feb. 2006: K1 petition sent to Nebraska Service Centre

2 March 2006: NOA1 dated (received in mail on 9 March 2006)

4 May 2006: NOA2!!!!! (DAY 66)

8 May 2006: File Sent to NVC (as stated on email dated 9 May)

24 May 2006: NVC sends our file to London Embassy

8 June 2006: Packet 3 arrives (DAY 101)

25 August 2006: Pack 3 sent to London Embassy registered post

29 August 2006: London Embassy receives my Pack 3 - 9/9/06 pack 4 arrives

SEPT 2006:APPLICATION PUT ON HOLD - WE HAD A FALLING OUT.

MAY 2007:RESUMED THE VISA APPLICATION

6 June 2007: Medical @ 2.30pm - need to get anew GP letter and psychiatric evaluation

7 June 2007: INTERVIEW @ 10am - waiting for new police record letter

3 July 2007: APPROVED/Visa arrives

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Belgium
Timeline
My fiance is finally going to be able to move here at the end of the month. We have a small problem though. I live in the Bay Area and it is quite expensive.

-Laura

Bay Area quite expensive... yep, I know what you mean! :(

Universal Healthcare is a Human Right

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Not to be a wet blanket, but unfortunatly the EAD can take much longer than 3 months. If you get married the day he arrives in the country, and if you mail off the AOS/EAD packet the day after your wedding, and if the packet is processed quickly and you get the NOA1 right away, and then if the biometrics appointment comes quickly and if they process the EAD application quickly, you will get it within 90 days after his arrival. However, most likely all those ifs won't come to pass, and it could very well be 5 or 6 months to get employment authorization.

Now, my suggestions to make this process go more quickly from your end.

1. Read over the AOS/EAD process before he gets here and get as much done as you can prior to his actual move.

2. After getting married, hand file the marriage license and see if you can get a marriage certificate on the spot. Don't let the officiant mail it in, because it might take you weeks to get the certificate You need to send in a copy of the certificate with the AOS/EAD forms.

3. Get the vaccine suppliments (if needed) as soon as possible once he is in the country. We waited until after we got married (albiet 2 weeks after my husband arrived), and it took 3 weeks for the form to be filled out and ready for us to pick up.

4. File for the SSN 2 to 3 weeks after he arrives. It will take that long for his enterance to be registered in the system. Don't wait until the I-94 is about to expire, because then they won't let you get the SSN and you'll have to wait until he gets the EAD to try again. If you have the SSN ready to go, when the EAD arrives, there shouldn't be any delay in the job hunting.

It sucks, but that's why they have us fill out the affidavit of support with the k-1. Good luck!

edited to add: While he's waiting for employment authorization, he can look into volunteer work in the community. This will provide US based references when job hunting time comes and keep him from going insane from bordom.

Edited by rahma

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Yep....you will have to support him while he waits for his EAD. I know you want him to work ASAP, but it just ain't gonna happen. My babe would love to get a job NOW but we knew ahead of time that I would be the sole supporter for a while so we were prepared for how tight it will be...and is. Just gotta plan ahead.

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.