hheaven67

Employment Discrimination in the US

78 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Well I think every one has given a lot of good suggestions. Honestly though, I have heard of employment agencies being very helpful to many people I know. It seems a little off to me that three different agencies all "sucked".

If you are qualified you will eventually get a position somewhere.

Good luck.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
I should add that I don't think its important to drill the information of the "founding fathers" into kids at a young age, I would rather them learn how to spell and add first. But I guess thats the way its done here.

But my son could tell you the presidents in order and who they were. He finds American history more interesting than Canadian history. I guess he's already been assimilated into the culture. :P

I've found that I know far more about American History than my wife does about Canadian History. I was able to inform her of certain important dates in Canadian History (I'm a geek, so I research stuff). My wife's not dumb at all; she's somewhat uninterested in modern history and finds ancient history far more interesting. If you wanted to know details about the Greeks or Romans or Egyptians or any other ancient culture, she'd have it for you.

The point, however, is that I think Americans are more familiar with their own country's history due to the teaching methods employed in schools. Whether or not that's good or bad or part of indoctrination is up to personal interpretation. I do think that Canadians should learn more about their own country. I'm sure it's quite fascinating in parts.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I skipped a few pages so this may have been said already, but I think that in the vast majority of cases you aren't dealing with discrimination... you are dealing with reality. As you stated the economy is very weak right now & a lot of people are looking for work. With that being said it's human nature (and perfectly acceptable) for an employer to chose an equally qualified citizen over a non-citizen. Weak economy + non-citizen = a steep hill to climb in finding a job.

My newlywed wife will be looking for a job in a few months & what I am telling her is start out with modest expectations (I will also get her into some college courses). Like many have said temp jobs may be a viable alternative & we will consider them as well. Good luck!

FamilyGuy_SavingPrivateBrian_v2f_72_1161823205-000.jpg

Filed: Timeline
I do think that Canadians should learn more about their own country. I'm sure it's quite fascinating in parts.

Huh? :blink: We learned about our own country! :bonk:

Oh yeah? What happened on February 30th in Canada? :P

What the heck?! Is this a surprise test?! Do you know how long it's been since I've been in history class?!! :lol:

iagree.gif

Timeline
My newlywed wife will be looking for a job in a few months & what I am telling her is start out with modest expectations

Very smart! :thumbs: Reality is important.

My eyes filled with grit

Timeline
I do think that Canadians should learn more about their own country. I'm sure it's quite fascinating in parts.

Nothing. February only has 28 days.

Edited by Sprailenes

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

lol.. yeah

me wonders if deadpool meant that as a trick question :lol:

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

lol.. yeah

Just trying to keep everyone on their toes! :ph34r:

Well I think every one has given a lot of good suggestions. Honestly though, I have heard of employment agencies being very helpful to many people I know. It seems a little off to me that three different agencies all "sucked".

Good luck.

Yup, Google ACT1 or AppleOne, MANY out there screwing people over...MANY reviews on there...I'm now VERY sceptical...please remember, this wasn't all about finding a job but about EMPLOYMENT DISCRIMINATION...that's what I was asking VJ members about...

Thanks...

effective May 13, 2011 - back in Canada, journey is over

Timeline
Yup, Google ACT1 or AppleOne, MANY out there screwing people over...MANY reviews on there...I'm now VERY sceptical...please remember, this wasn't all about finding a job but about EMPLOYMENT DISCRIMINATION...that's what I was asking VJ members about...

Thanks...

I won't google anything because I don't need to. Of course many agencies screw people over, just like many agencies HELP people.

I don't care what the topic was originally about either because we gave you our opinions about employment discrimination and thereafter you made several posts about how you can't find a job. It appears many of us don't know what else to tell you except keep looking.

I will repeat myself: "If you are qualified for whatever you are applying for, you will eventually get a position". Money doesn't grow on trees and neither do jobs.

My eyes filled with grit

lol.. yeah

Just trying to keep everyone on their toes! :ph34r:

Ahhhh, you have jokes. And here's me thinking you were such a serious dude. :P

Ooops! Looks like we may have hijacked hheaven's thread. Sorry, hheaven. :blush:

/thread hijack

iagree.gif

Timeline

Good luck.

Thanks...

I used AppleOne in Canada and it didn't screw me over. I wouldn't believe everything you read. No you don't get paid as much as regular workers, but being a temp at an office when I was 20 allowed me to prove myself and get hired on full time.

Regardless of what the topic was about, we're Canadians working in the US and trying to help you. Perhaps you need to look at yourself rather than point the finger at everyone else.

Edited by Sprailenes

Donne moi une poptart!

I used AppleOne in Canada and it didn't screw me over. I wouldn't believe everything you read. No you don't get paid as much as regular workers, but being a temp at an office when I was 20 allowed me to prove myself and get hired on full time.

We used AppleOne at my former employer, also. They were fine to deal with. There are good and bad everywhere, unfortunately. I also have to agree with Sprailenes to take any opinions you find online with a grain of salt. Why, I just read the Lake County Magazine Top 10 List and found two "Best of" restaurants who won top place and I found them total #######. LOL. So, yeah. Don't believe everything you read. Good advice. :thumbs:

iagree.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.