Stan1234

Anyone taken a driving test in CA?

18 posts in this topic

Hello, so finally I've managed to get my driving permit (the lady at the DMV didn't even look at my EAD and didn't seem to care that my I-94 had expired months ago! so who knows?!).

Just wondering if anyone out there has taken their test in CA and give me any tips on what to expect. Its been *ah-hum* a few years :whistle: since I took my driving test in the UK and have probably fallen into some bad habits. I'll definitely have to try my hardest to stop at stop signs! not speed!! and it still seems unnatural to turn right on a red light.

I'm mainly interested in knowing whether their are any manouvers involved in the test because I really can't parallel park for s**t and might need to practice my 3 point turn!

Thanks

parallel parking and using turn signals :thumbs: Also, using your mirrors

Edited by jasman0717

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

The only "maneuver" I was asked to demonstrate was reversing in a straight line. Overall, the test was much easier than the one in Poland, years ago.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hello, so finally I've managed to get my driving permit (the lady at the DMV didn't even look at my EAD and didn't seem to care that my I-94 had expired months ago! so who knows?!).

Just wondering if anyone out there has taken their test in CA and give me any tips on what to expect. Its been *ah-hum* a few years :whistle: since I took my driving test in the UK and have probably fallen into some bad habits. I'll definitely have to try my hardest to stop at stop signs! not speed!! and it still seems unnatural to turn right on a red light.

I'm mainly interested in knowing whether their are any manouvers involved in the test because I really can't parallel park for s**t and might need to practice my 3 point turn!

Thanks

Hi,

Just wondering where in Cali are you taking your test?? some places would be more harder (depending on the location of the dmv). Just remember...full stop on stop signs, you can turn right on a red light, but still u need to stop fully before turning, or unless a sign says you can't turn right on a red. Some places like San Francisco might require you to do a parallel park. The 3 point turn seems to be mandatory on all dmvs.

Good luck ! Oh..you might have to go early also since the places gets pretty crowded ^^;;

"One moment of patience may ward off great disaster. One moment of impatience may ruin a whole life."

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Manilla, Philipines

I-129F NOA1 : Oct 3, 2008

Interview for AOS: approved on Dec 16, 2009

Greencard received: January 4, 2010

Thanks

Hi,

Just wondering where in Cali are you taking your test?? some places would be more harder (depending on the location of the dmv). Just remember...full stop on stop signs, you can turn right on a red light, but still u need to stop fully before turning, or unless a sign says you can't turn right on a red. Some places like San Francisco might require you to do a parallel park. The 3 point turn seems to be mandatory on all dmvs.

Good luck ! Oh..you might have to go early also since the places gets pretty crowded ^^;;

Making complete stops is a biggie :thumbs:

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Thanks for the replies. I'll be taking the test in sacramento so not sure how tough they are here?

My wife says I've already perfected the californian stop - the one where you kind of roll of to the stop line half think about stopping but don't! And my foot can be a little heavy, 25 just seems so slow. I'll have to try hard to be on my best behaviour for the test!!

Guess I'll also have to practice my parking just in case.

Timeline
Thanks for the replies. I'll be taking the test in sacramento so not sure how tough they are here?

My wife says I've already perfected the californian stop - the one where you kind of roll of to the stop line half think about stopping but don't! And my foot can be a little heavy, 25 just seems so slow. I'll have to try hard to be on my best behaviour for the test!!

Guess I'll also have to practice my parking just in case.

Ah hehe...yes the california stop...can't remember how many tickets I've been issued for that all these years -_- but yes just make sure you do complete stops....the person administering it may stop the test and fail you on the spot...as for the speed limit...just drive maybe a bit lower than the posted limit...just check your speed once in awhile during the test. Not sure about Sacramento dmv so sorries ^^;;

"One moment of patience may ward off great disaster. One moment of impatience may ruin a whole life."

I'm from Sacramento. I took my road test at DMV Carmichael branch last Nov 18. It just took me like maybe 10 minutes. The instructor didn't asked me to do anything. No parallel parking, no 3 points turn. I just drove around the dmv area. She just told me to make a complete stop on the "stop sign" and scanned the intersection before turning left or right.

Evelyn

29960_396648778323_615343323_4014936_8258670_n.jpg

Q3b5m7.png

Aug 3, 2006 Sent I-129f in to CSC

Aug 15, 2006 Sent in updated I-129f

Aug 23, 2006 NOA1

Aug 25, 2006 They cashed my check

Aug 30, 2006 NOA1 received in mail

Dec 2, 2006 NOA2 recieved in mail

Dec 12, 2006 I receive that letter from NVC

Mar 22, 2007 St. Lukes appointment

Mar 29, 2007 7:30am Interview

Mar 29, 2007 12pm APPROVED!!! PRAISE GOD!!!

April 10, 2007 Fiancee Arrived!!! WOO HOO!!!

June 26, 2007 Wedding

July 2, 2007 Medical for AOS

July 6, 2007 Sent in AOS (cutting it really close to the 90 days!)

July 8, 2007 USCIS receives i-485

July 16, 2007 NOA1

July 18, 2007 NOA biometrics

Aug 11, 2007 Biometrics appointment.

Oct 11, 2007 Interview

Oct 11, 2007 Green card Approved!!! You cant kick me out now Baby!

Oct 18, 2007 Welcome letter saying Green card is on its way

Oct 22, 2007 2 year Green card arrived!!

TIMELINE-I-751-Oct 11, 2009 GC Expiration

July 8, 2009- Sent 1-751 in to CSC

July 15, 2009- CSC sent back my papers saying its too early for 90 days expiration

July 16, 2009- Resend my papers 85 days before GC expired

July 18, 2009- Arrived at CSC-10:53 am

July 22, 2009- Cashed Check

July 27, 2009- NOA 1 recieved

July 31, 2009- Biometric Notice Recieved

Aug 18, 2009- Biometric Schedule

Sep 03, 2009- Card Production ordered

Sep 09, 2009-Approval letter recieved in the mail

Sep 12, 2009- 10 Year GC recieved

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

My husband hasn't caught on to the "california roll" just yet, which should help him in his test! Definitely practice your parallel parking, I have never heard of them not making you do it! They usually pick a big enough spot, but it might be embarrassing if it takes you 5 minutes! And when checking your mirrors, actually move your head, not just your eyes. This was the only mark I had on my test! :angry: Other than that it should be easy, my test only lasted about 10 minutes.

Our timeline-

February 6 2008- Mailed 129f

February 8 2008- 129f was received

February 12 2008- Check was cashed

February 13 2008- Received NOA1 hardcopy

June 20 2008- First touch

June 21 2008- Touch

June 21 2008- Received NOA2 hardcopy

September 17 2008- Touch

September 25 2008- Touch

September 26 2008- Touch

September 27 2008- Received second NOA2 hardcopy (hopefully this time it will actually get sent to NVC)

October 13 2008- Received packet 3

October 15 2008- Sent packet 3

October 29 2008- Packet 4 received

November 28 2008- Interview date

December 4 2008- Visa Received

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Claudeth starts driver training in nine hours :blink:

Why don't you be supportive, rather than seeming to mock her in every post? If she is as nervous as you have made out, smilies like this -------> :blink: are hardly appropriate. You should be giving her hugs, telling her she'll be okay and that you'll help her in any way you can.

Edit: for grammar

Edited by Magenta

Damn guess I'll have to practice my parking :angry:

I found a bunch of videos on youtube from the CA DMV which are hilarious.

Will also have to practice my ridiculously over exagerated looking - look my head is spinning more than the exorcist girl are you happy!

Timeline
Claudeth starts driver training in nine hours :blink:

Mmmm you should have let her do the driver's training in the Philippines...after that driving here should be easy :lol:

I'm from Sacramento. I took my road test at DMV Carmichael branch last Nov 18. It just took me like maybe 10 minutes. The instructor didn't asked me to do anything. No parallel parking, no 3 points turn. I just drove around the dmv area. She just told me to make a complete stop on the "stop sign" and scanned the intersection before turning left or right.

Evelyn

Wow :blink: ... I think that's probably the most easiest driving test I've heard off ^^;;

I taught Lucy to drive. I don't recommend drivers education as a marriage-building experience. Hire a professional instructor.

The test was conducted only on city surface streets. Max speed limit was 35 mph. There was no freeway driving or other high speed driving involved.

One vital thing on the test is that you must always come to a full and complete stop for every stop sign, and you must never exceed the speed limit, not even a little. Of course, those two rules don't apply quite so much after you get your license. Also, you must remember to signal every turn and lane change (that one really SHOULD apply after you get your license).

When I was teaching, I insisted on Lucy following those rules every single time, just like my high school driver's ed teacher insisted for me. There were times when she was angry, saying, "but you don't always stop completely". And she had a point, but my point was that she had to build the habits necessary for passing the test, so that when the instructor was in the car those things would come automatically without thinking about them. After she passed the test, she could interpret the stop signs and speed limits a little more like most drivers do.

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.