aletheia

Please help!! Problem with SSN and last name change...

7 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I moved to Maryland, USA from Canada, two Octobers ago, after successfully going through the K1 Visa process. I applied for my green card soon after, and received permanent resident status with no problem this past July (didn't even need to go for an interview!). Just before I had applied for my green card, I got my Maryland ID card, at which time I was told my last name was legally changed to my husband's. I was waiting to get my SSN until after I received my EAD, but ended up putting it off until after I received my green card.

So three months ago, being a permanent resident, I finally went to apply for my SSN (especially for tax purposes). I brought in the necessary documents, and everything appeared to be fine. However, today I got a call from them saying that they've contacted Homeland Security multiple times, and my name keeps coming back as my maiden name so they can't issue me a SSN with my married name.

I don't understand how that could be since my permanent resident card is IN my married name! The woman from the Social Security office was not helpful at all, and simply told me that I must contact Homeland Security to have my name changed in order for my SSN to be issued under my married name.

Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone know what I should do to contact Homeland Security in this case?

I greatly appreciate any help anyone can give me. This website was a lifesaver during the K1 process, as well as my AOS process.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Hi aletheia,

Your best bet is to make an Infopass and explain the situation to them. Also, if you can go back to the SSN office where you applied (Columbia MD office is friendly, but you can go to any office) and since they mentioned that they cannot give you a SSN, get a denial letter from them (they will issue one if you ask) and take that with you to Infopass and show it to them and ask them why it's coming back under maiden name. Go from there and see what happens.

Hi all,

I moved to Maryland, USA from Canada, two Octobers ago, after successfully going through the K1 Visa process. I applied for my green card soon after, and received permanent resident status with no problem this past July (didn't even need to go for an interview!). Just before I had applied for my green card, I got my Maryland ID card, at which time I was told my last name was legally changed to my husband's. I was waiting to get my SSN until after I received my EAD, but ended up putting it off until after I received my green card.

So three months ago, being a permanent resident, I finally went to apply for my SSN (especially for tax purposes). I brought in the necessary documents, and everything appeared to be fine. However, today I got a call from them saying that they've contacted Homeland Security multiple times, and my name keeps coming back as my maiden name so they can't issue me a SSN with my married name.

I don't understand how that could be since my permanent resident card is IN my married name! The woman from the Social Security office was not helpful at all, and simply told me that I must contact Homeland Security to have my name changed in order for my SSN to be issued under my married name.

Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone know what I should do to contact Homeland Security in this case?

I greatly appreciate any help anyone can give me. This website was a lifesaver during the K1 process, as well as my AOS process.

Edited by jb_vj

AOS/ROC/Citizenship Timeline

DO - Baltimore

2010/2011

Day 0 - Nov. 29: I-751(ROC) Package Sent

Day 1 - Nov. 30: I-751(ROC) Package Delivered @ VSC

Day 4 - Dec. 03: I-751(ROC) Check Cashed

Day 34 - Jan. 13-2011: I-751(ROC) Biometrics Appointment Letter for 1/31/11

Day 46 - Jan. 31-2011: I-751(ROC) Biometrics Completed

Day 138 - Jun. 09-2011: I-751(ROC) Approval Letter Received

Day 0 - Oct. 26 '11: N400 Package Sent

Day 1 - Oct. 27 '11: N400 Package Delivered @ Lewisville, TX

Day 5 - Oct. 31 '11: N400 NOA-1

Day 34 - Nov. 28 '11: Email: Placed in line for interview

Day 57 - Dec. 22 '11: Received yellow letter

Day 144 - Mar. 17 '12: Received fingerprinting letter

Day 147 - Mar. 20 '12: Biometrics completed

Day 156 - Mar. 29 '12: Email: Interview scheduled, letter in mail

Day 190 - May. 02 '12: Interview Completed, Passed, Oath same day

Hi all,

I had that same problem today! I haven't got my Green Card yet but I do have my EAD (under my married name). I went to get my SSN and they said they couldn't give me one because the Homeland Security still has me under my maiden name. So I went to the DHS building and they told me to make an appointment with them and get an InfoPass online from this site.

www.infopass.uscis.gov

I've made my appointment and I've got to go back to the DHS on Tuesday and tell them to update their records. Make sure you bring your printed out appointment notice and your passport, Green Card, marriage certificate and birth certificate, just in case.

After you've had your appointment and they've updated their records, the Social Security Center will be able to process you SSN. I would call them to make sure that everything went through

Hope everything works out for you :)

Filed: Other Timeline

A former VJ member had the same problem, it took her about a year to sort it out with SSA. Only she had applied for her SSN shortly after she got to the US with her K1, then tried to change her name on it after her marriage, and they wouldn't do it. So she couldn't work for about a year, because her EAD and SSN didn't match :wacko:

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Hi aletheia,

Your best bet is to make an Infopass and explain the situation to them.

:thumbs:

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Thank you all very much! I just felt a little lost yesterday after receiving that phone call from the Social Security office because the woman was so unhelpful, and even kind of rude. People who haven't gone through or aren't going through the immigration process just don't understand how overwhelming it can be. They seem to think you can make a little phone call or just walk into a building and solve problems, and we all know how impossible that is. :)

Anyway, I'll be making an appointment with Infopass. Hopefully that goes nice and smoothly! Along with my marriage certificate, I have my EAD, my green card, my Maryland ID, and even my Canadian passport all in my married name, so I have no lack of proof on that front. Plus I'm 8 months pregnant so maybe they'll have some pity. :D Here's hoping! Thanks again! I'll keep checking in case anybody has anything else to add.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

i had my ssn change to my married name even before my application for AOS. i just showed my passport, i94 and the marriage certificate. though it wasnt so easy at first becuase for two times we have been denied because they said that i need my GC first, but i do remember when we first apply for ssn under my madien name, the in charge clearly said that once you are married just come back and have it change with your married name just bring the MC.

i got so disappointed already but my husband took time to call the supervisor of the ssn and finally they said come back tomorrow i will take care of it and lo and behold for 5mins she did it, so easy...

so sometimes, just my opinion, we just have to get to the right person...its so easy for them to say NO to us because they are in authority but they just dont know what hassle they put as through and for them not to do much about it.

but you will be fine, just keep going.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.