kyle.sari

2008 Tax Return??

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

If the interview date is Feb 24th do you think they will want my tax return for year 2008? Even if I haven't filed or received my W-2 by then? I sincerely hope that 2007 will be enough.

In 2007 i made a little over $20,000 which should be totally fine.

In 2008 i made $17,850. Only $350 over the 125% poverty limit.

Now I AM over the limit, albeit just barely. Do you think they can deny me based on this even though I made enough??

Has anybody here been asked to get a co-sponsor even though they made more than the minimum??

Thank you!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
If the interview date is Feb 24th do you think they will want my tax return for year 2008? Even if I haven't filed or received my W-2 by then? I sincerely hope that 2007 will be enough.

Now I AM over the limit, albeit just barely. Do you think they can deny me based on this even though I made enough??

Has anybody here been asked to get a co-sponsor even though they made more than the minimum??

Thank you!

Last day to file the Tax is April 15 so you dont have to worry abt filing tax for the year 2008.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Thank you!

It is definitely not unheard of for the CO to ask for a co-sponsor even if you are above the minimum. If you think about it, 125% of the poverty limit is the minimum they will ask for to issue a visa. The CO has the discretion to ask for additional evidence of financial support if he/she wishes. It is up to them.

Similarly, it is not unheard of for them to ask for the 2008 return even though it is not due yet; it is more likely they will ask for it if the person is barely over the minimum. Also, if the beneficiary is coming from a high fraud country like India, they are more likely to ask for such additional documentation.

One thing that should ease your mind is that the CO will not deny the visa for this reason. They would put you under something called administrative processing (aka 221g). Once you supplied whatever documents you requested to their satisfaction, they would issue the visa.

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Islamabad, Pakistan

Marriage : 2007-11-24

I-130 Sent : 2008-01-17

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-02-12

Expedite Request Approved - 2008-04-17

NOA2: 2008-04-22

National Visa Center

Case Number Assigned: 2008-04-25

DS-3032 and AOS Fee Bill Generated: 2008-05-05

AOS Fee Bill Paid: 2008-05-03

DS-3032 Accepted: 2008-05-07

I-864 Hard Copy Mailed: 2008-05-07

IV Fee Bill Paid - 2008-08-04

DS230 Mailed - 2008-08-06

Case Completed - 2008-08-13

Interview - 2008-10-07 - Put on AP

Passport Requested - 2008-12-14

Passport Received - 2008-12-26

POE - 2008-12-29

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Someone just had their interview and was asked to bring back the 2008 taxes or a cosponsor in order for the visa to be approved, so yes...they can ask for that indeed.

You should have your w-2's by then, i would include them even if you havent filed. Also a letter from your employer couldnt hurt.

Good luck!

"you fondle my trigger then you blame my gun"

Timeline: 13 month long journey from filing to visa in hand

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

UPDATE: Gosh im such a dope. Upon reviewing my last paycheck of 2008 i noticed my actual gross income was $19,900. Which is much better than $17,850 that i thought I had earned. Although its not a huge increase, it is definitely enough to hopefully put the CO at ease. Maybe i can report some birthday money on my tax return to get it over the $20,000 mark which sounds even better.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.