Amby

Prince Harry a racist?

24 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Britain's Prince Harry will be grilled by top army brass on Monday over his use of racist remarks after a self-filmed video was released showing him calling an army colleague a "Paki" and telling another he looked like a "raghead."

Lawmakers, Muslim groups and the Pakistani public criticized Harry on Sunday after a British newspaper published video footage of him using offensive and racist language.

Harry, third in line to the British throne and an army lieutenant, issued an apology on Saturday after the News of The World reported that he had used offensive terms to refer to people from Pakistan and people of Arab descent.

Britain's opposition Conservative Party leader, David Cameron, said Harry's comments undermined work to root out racism from the country's armed forces. "It is obviously a completely unacceptable thing to say," Cameron told the BBC.

The paper reported that Harry made the remarks in 2006 during a visit to Cyprus to carry out training exercises with fellow military cadets. In part of the video apparently filmed by Harry himself, he refers to one colleague as "our little paki friend" — using a derogatory term for people of Pakistani origin.

Iftikhar Raja told the BBC the cadet was his nephew Ahmed Raza Khan, who he said is now a captain in Pakistan's army. He said Khan graduated from the Sandhurst military school in 2006 and received an award from Queen Elizabeth II as the best overseas officer cadet.

"We expect better from our Royal Family on whom we spend millions and millions of pounds for training and schooling," Raja told the BBC.

In a second video clip, Harry calls another cadet — who is wearing a headscarf — a "raghead." The newspaper said that the video was filmed by other cadets and supplied to the newspaper.

Harry's language "is sickening, and he should be thoroughly ashamed of himself," said Mohammed Shafiq, director of the Ramadan Foundation — a British Muslim youth organization.

Labour Party lawmaker Khalid Mahmood, a Muslim, also criticized Harry over the comments. "He needs to understand that this is not acceptable, especially in light of the office that he is going to hold in the army and as a member of the royal family," Mahmood said.

St. James's Palace — the office of Harry and his older brother, Prince William — said on Saturday that Harry was sorry for any offense caused by his use of the word "paki." Spokesman Patrick Harrison said that Harry had used the other offensive term to refer to either the Taliban or Iraqi insurgents.

In Pakistan, many people reacted angrily to the report.

"Anything like this is unacceptable to us, even to anyone around the world. We have all the abilities to call the prince something or anything, and things about his father and mother, but we don't do that because we believe that is wrong," said Mohammad Arslan, a 33-year-old technician in the capital, Islamabad.

Barkat Ali, a 46-year-old driver in Islamabad, said the comments were regrettable, and called on Pakistan's government to seek an explanation from Harry and British leaders.

But Ibrar Ahmed, a schoolteacher in Multan, said most people had more important things to worry about. "Let's be fair about it. Dogs may bark, but people go about their business," Ahmed said.

Harry served with the British Army in Afghanistan for 10 weeks last year, but was withdrawn from the combat zone after his previously secret deployment became public.

Harry's behavior has hit the headlines several times before. He has previously acknowledged drinking underage and smoking marijuana. In January 2005, he apologized after being pictured in a newspaper at a costume party dressed as a Nazi, complete with a swastika armband.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,479164,00.html

Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

awww the royal family lays another goose egg.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Israel
Timeline

IN a fraternal order name calling is very common. He was in Grunt mode barking orders and not thinking in a capacity of "its not so unlikely that I could be King of England one day"

Just because I might be president one day it isnt fair that a camera caught me calling a friend of mine a faggot or a whatever.

This will blow over faster than a hooker in a motel room with an 8 ball

Emmett Fitz-Hume: I'm sorry I'm late, I had to attend the reading of a will. I had to stay till the very end, and I found out I received nothing... broke my arm.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
IN a fraternal order name calling is very common. He was in Grunt mode barking orders and not thinking in a capacity of "its not so unlikely that I could be King of England one day"

Just because I might be president one day it isnt fair that a camera caught me calling a friend of mine a faggot or a whatever.

I doubt it to be honest. Harry kind of has a history of doing things that are... "ill-advised" for someone in his position.

Nothing of course that is uncommon in someone of his age, or in the context of a rowdy military unit - but the public perception of him is determined by the media, so whether its fair or not - he does get judged according to different standards, not least because the public purse is paying for his (and his family's) upkeep.

Timeline

I doubt it to be honest. Harry kind of has a history of doing things that are... "ill-advised" for someone in his position.

Nothing of course that is uncommon in someone of his age, or in the context of a rowdy military unit - but the public perception of him is determined by the media, so whether its fair or not - he does get judged according to different standards, not least because the public purse is paying for his (and his family's) upkeep.

If his bro becomes King and Harry becomes top-gun in their military it wont really matter if the public has a negative perception. William is the face and Harry presses the buttons.

Emmett Fitz-Hume: I'm sorry I'm late, I had to attend the reading of a will. I had to stay till the very end, and I found out I received nothing... broke my arm.

Timeline

If his bro becomes King and Harry becomes top-gun in their military it wont really matter if the public has a negative perception. William is the face and Harry presses the buttons.

It won't happen.

Timeline

It won't happen.

and that really doesnt affect me either way. Though if the US and UK maintain very close relations in terms of military strategy I might want someone who is a little edgy and has to answer to his older brother and king. It makes military decisions a little more important because you can't just dismiss some random general for failing to accomplish military objectives when he is second in line to be king

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Agreed. It's hard to understand if you don't already understand the royal family and their supposed conduct. I've said things around my friends that I shouldn't have, but if I knew I was being scrutinized under a microscope you better believe I would have long shut my mouth, brigade or no brigade.

You do know that Britain is a monarchy in name only, right?

The head of State doesn't have any actual power...

Just like the queen is the head of state in Canada and has no power. Constitutional Monarchy...I don't think he gets it.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline

yes aware... but I dont think prime ministers and parliments want to commit political suicide telling Kings and Princes what to do

Timeline

I'm not against the monarchy, but I do think that some of them need to be kicked off the gravy train. Those that do nothing to represent the country (like Prince Edward) and unethical jerks like Prince Charles.

yes aware... but I dont think prime ministers and parliments want to commit political suicide telling Kings and Princes what to do

You don't think that happens?

It does - it just happens behind closed doors, rather than publicly (though Maggie Thatcher got pretty close to that)

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Just like the queen is the head of state in Canada and has no power. Constitutional Monarchy...I don't think he gets it.

I know the Queen (and the royal family) are more for show than anything else, but having the monarchy as my head-of-state still rubs me the wrong way. Maybe it's because I'm American and, in general, the U.S. tends to frown upon monarchies. Whatever the reason is, I don't think anyone should technically be the leader of one's country -- whether it's a formality or not -- simply because they were born into it.

He is walking in his Grandfathers footsteps......Prince Phillip has been known to drop a blunder or two..lol

DCF - London

18 Jul 04 - Police Certificate Requested

19 Jul 04 - I-130 sent

22 Jul 04 - NOA I-130 logged with INS

29 Jul 04 - DS230 sent

29 Jul 04 - Had vaccinations

14 Aug 04 - Police Certificate Received

30 Sept 04 - I-130 approved

30 Nov 04 - Received I-864 from co sponsor

04 Dec 04 - Sent DS2001

13 Jan 05 - Interview date 04 Feb 05

04 Feb 05 - VISA APPROVED!!!

08 Feb 05 - Proud owner of IR-1 Visa

09 Jun 05 - Arrived in the USA

24 April 09 - US Citizen

26551rm8.th.jpg

Timeline

Prince Philip is worse (as was the Queen Mum by all accounts), but they're of a different time.

His "spend any more time here and you'll go slitty eyed" comments in China and (to aborigines) "do you still chuck spears at each other" were pretty appalling.