legospaceman

I-129 and Marriage Certificate translation issues

6 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Hey everyone,

So I got my I-130 NOA1, and the directions for the I-129 say that I need to send ANOTHER translation of our marriage certificate.

My questions to you are:

1) is this necessary?

2) does it have to be an original of the translation certificate or a copy from the one sent for the I-130?

The reason I ask is because according to my folks in Pakistan, it is difficult enough to get a the official marriage certificate translation once, let alone twice. And I believe them given how hard it is to get paperwork through the bureaucracy in Pakistan, because the one I got for the I-130 was absolutely festooned with stamps and signatures from a minimum of 5 different departments. If you guys sent multiple translations, how did you get these translations done in Pakistan?

Thanks,

legospaceman

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

for USCIS purposes... a regular photocopy of your already translated document will suffice... never send an original or original translation of any document to the USCIS unless specifically requested

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Seems like you went overboard with the translation also. I believe you only need it translated by someone who is literate in both English and the language it is written in. They can sign a simple letter stating they are literate in both languages and that is enough. No official seals and extra stuff is needed.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Our timeline:

9/3/08: Submitted I-129

9/5/08: CSC received

9/8/08: NOA1 date

11/12/08: Requested expedite (promised response by 11/17/08)

11/19/08: Received status info by calling USCIS - Additional info sent

12/4/08: Call from CSC & "Touch"

12/4/08 to 12/22/08: Too many calls & faxes to mention, NO RESPONSE!

12/22/08: NOA2 Approval!

12/30/08: NVC forwarded petition to Embassy in Tokyo

12/31/08: Letter from NVC stating they forwarded petition

1/4/09: Received Letter from NVC

1/7/09: Packet Issued from Tokyo Embassy

4/18/09: Tokyo still unable to grant interview, moved to Philippines.

6/22/09: Our daughter was born (more embassy paperwork)

6/30/09: Reqeusted transfer of case to Manila

8/26/09: Visited embassy in Manila AGAIN, personally requested transfer of case (no record in their system)

11/4/09: Case Transferred from Tokyo to Manila - no notice sent

12/5/09: Notification that Manila received the case.

12/30/09: Interview packet received from Manila

1/25/10: Medical check in Manila (took 4 days)

2/1/10: Interview - requested additional docs,

2/2/10: Additional docs submitted, Embassy kept passports - expect visa soon.

4/5/10: Received Visa FINALLY!

4/12/10: Entry to USA

8950.gif

Filed: Country: Pakistan
Timeline
Hey everyone,

So I got my I-130 NOA1, and the directions for the I-129 say that I need to send ANOTHER translation of our marriage certificate.

My questions to you are:

1) is this necessary?

2) does it have to be an original of the translation certificate or a copy from the one sent for the I-130?

The reason I ask is because according to my folks in Pakistan, it is difficult enough to get a the official marriage certificate translation once, let alone twice. And I believe them given how hard it is to get paperwork through the bureaucracy in Pakistan, because the one I got for the I-130 was absolutely festooned with stamps and signatures from a minimum of 5 different departments. If you guys sent multiple translations, how did you get these translations done in Pakistan?

Thanks,

legospaceman

Get a translation done from the Magistrates siting outside the city courts in Pakistan for 50 to 100 PKR and it will suffice.

***I-130***

2006-12-14 I-130 Sent to Vermont Service Center

2007-01-12 I-130 NOA1

2007-04-06 Approved!

***I-129F (new form)***

2007-01-31 I-129F Sent to Chicago

2007-02-07 I-129F NOA1

2007-04-06 Approved!

***US Embassy Islamabad***

2007-04-25 Packet Received by my wife

2007-05-15 Medical Exam

2007-05-29 Interview Approved!

2007-05-29 AP starts

2007-11-01 Wife got call to pickup her Visa from American Express

2008-01-12 POE at JFK

***I-485***

2008-11-10 I-485 Sent to Chicago

2008-11-20 Payment accepted

2008-11-22 I-485 NOA1

2009-01-09 Biometric

2009-03-08 Interview Letter

2009-04-08 Interview Approved!

2009-04-08 Welcome letter received

2009-04-18 Green Card Received

USA_b.gifpakistan_b.gif

Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer and anything posted is just my own opinion

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
Seems like you went overboard with the translation also. I believe you only need it translated by someone who is literate in both English and the language it is written in. They can sign a simple letter stating they are literate in both languages and that is enough. No official seals and extra stuff is needed.

Our marriage contract had 23857 stamps and seals also. They were not on the translation however.

A copy is totally suffice as others said, and I hope you didnt send the original with the 130 packet :unsure:

Good Luck!

"you fondle my trigger then you blame my gun"

Timeline: 13 month long journey from filing to visa in hand

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Our marriage contract had 23857 stamps and seals also. They were not on the translation however.

A copy is totally suffice as others said, and I hope you didnt send the original with the 130 packet :unsure:

Good Luck!

Hah, my original marriage certificate has maybe 3 seals. The translation was another story. But thanks folks, Khurram I'll tell em to go to the magistrates.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.