emerce

Double Permanent Residency

7 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

This is a wacky question, but i'm wondering if anyone has any knowledge of it. I know permanent residency applications are based on being in the certain country for a certain amount of time. Has anyone ever seen or heard of a way to orchestrate becoming permanent residents in two countries at the same time?

Example: My husband just got conditional residency here and its not that we hate it here or dont mind staying but we miss Edmonton and know we could get much better jobs there. I think Canada is much more lenient and its easier to get most statuses there. Is there any possible way of orchestrating the time there so we could do it at the same time? We'd only have to pay for an apartment there since here we live at my parents home.

Thanks, and sorry if this is confusing :/

Well by definition - residency means one actually lives 'there.' But I suppose it'd be possible to 'orchestrate' living in two places simultaniously... Can't think of a good enough reason to though..

Timeline

1. Because we miss it

2. Because we could get better jobs there

3. His dad just got diagnosed with lung cancer and we need to be there longer term to help him.

So we figured if he went back, I would try to get perm. residency through him so we could stay together.

Filed: Timeline

You cannot hold permanent resident status in two places at the same time. Hence the term permanent.

Check CIC's website on how to get Canadian permanent residence through hubby.

And say hi to Deadmonton from me :) --- I sure do not miss the weather one bit!!! Though I do miss Whyte Ave :cry:

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
You cannot hold permanent resident status in two places at the same time. Hence the term permanent.

Check CIC's website on how to get Canadian permanent residence through hubby.

And say hi to Deadmonton from me :) --- I sure do not miss the weather one bit!!! Though I do miss Whyte Ave :cry:

For your husband, Google "maintaining permanent resident status". He's a Canadian Citizen so that's all the status he needs in Canada. You'll need the appropriate Canadian status to work but would remain a US Citizen. If he abandons his US LPR status properly, he can still visit the US. If you decide to live permanently in the US at some time in the future, go through the process again with a DCF filing in Canada.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

I read on quite a few other websites that if he applies for a re-entry permit he can go to canada for at least a year and if I went with him and got permanent residency i'd have one of the two years out of five id need to declare residency. Then we'd just have to make sure we fulfill the requirements for both.

Any ideas on that??

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
I read on quite a few other websites that if he applies for a re-entry permit he can go to canada for at least a year and if I went with him and got permanent residency i'd have one of the two years out of five id need to declare residency. Then we'd just have to make sure we fulfill the requirements for both.

Any ideas on that??

Same suggestion I already gave. Forget the "websites" and read the requirements for "maintaining permanent resident status" It will be the first link if you google as I suggested. There is no assurance a re-entry permit will be honored. If a CBP officer determines an LPR is not longer residing in the US permanently (which according to your plan, your husband wouldn't be) they can deny entry and deem the LPR status abandoned based on the information available to them. Words mean things and I'm sure you know the meaning of "permanent".

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.