DanS

Which Service Center to file

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hello:

I am in a unique situation and could use some advice.

My fiance lives in the Ukraine. I have recently returned from a visit and plan to file the K-1 pettion soon.

I currently live in Michigan and so I must file in California. But, I have reccently been given a job offer and will likely move to Virginia in about six weeks. I'm aware that Virginia petitions must be filed in Vermont.

My question is: Would it be better to file now to California or wait and file to Vermont?

I'm aware if I file now I would have to file a change of address in six weeks or so when I move.

Would filing a change of address cause delays or would it mean that my case would be moved to Vermont, also likely causing delays?

To wait or not to wait? That is the question...(with apologies to Shakespeare)

Thanks.

--Dan

Hello:

My fiance lives in the Ukraine. I have recently returned from a visit and plan to file the K-1 pettion soon.

I currently live in Michigan and so I must file in California. But, I have reccently been given a job offer and will likely move to Virginia in about six weeks. I'm aware that Virginia petitions must be filed in Vermont.

My question is: Would it be better to file now to California or wait and file to Vermont?

I'm aware if I file now I would have to file a change of address in six weeks or so when I move.

Would filing a change of address cause delays or would it mean that my case would be moved to Vermont, also likely causing delays?

Thanks.

--Dan

If you are in a hurry file now. You are saving at least 6 weeks over notoriously slow (for now)vermont. Changing address is not a problem.

Edited by geezer

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Chile
Timeline

I say DON´t wait, what if the moving process takes longer, and what if all of a sudden there´s an avalanche of filers before you?. And worst of all what if the USCIS or whoever decides to put an end to the Fiance type of visas due to the increased fraud going on?.

I don´t know what other VJer say, this is just my paranoic opinion.

Hope you make the best decision.

Our Timeline:

11/1999 - We met in Ecuador

02/05/00 - Relationship started

09/08/06 - Engaged & Pregnant!

03/13/08 - I filed for Citizenship

07/22/08 - Became US Citizen

08/02/08 - I-129F sent

08/13/08 - Case received by VSC

08/16/08 - NOA1

08/18/08 - Touched

12/18/08 - Touched again exactly 4 mos. after 1st touch!

12/18/08 - Noa2 @ 3PM-Gracias Dios Mio!

12/24/08 - NVC sent pckg. 3 to Embassy

01/02/09 - Pckg 3 rcvd. by Embassy

01/09/09 - Pckg 3 from Embassy received by beneficiary

02/09/09 - Medical exam

02/16/09 - Sent back checklist and docs required by embassy.

03/13/09 - We will fly to see Daddy Gary

03/16/09 - 1 PM Interview (Pray God he gets visa)

03/16/09 - 5PM INTERVIEW PASSED WOOHOO. Thank God.

03/25/09 - Visa on hand! he went to DHL office after phone call received.

04/18/09 - My Cuchi came, (NYC)a wonderful unbelievable moment!:)

04/20/09 - We applied for marriage licence. (Township Municipal Bldg Health Dept.)

04/23/09 - Licence on hand

04/29/09 - Applied for Social Security (He was in system!)

04/30/09 - Wedding day!!! Yeeebaa

05/07/09 - SS card in mail. "valid for work only with DHS authorization"

05/13/09 - Sent AOS paperwork.

06/16/09 - Biometrics Apptmt.

06/25/09 - EAD Card in mail!

06/26/09 - Letter saying case transfered to Cali.

08/08/09 - Residence Card in Mail! Yuuupiiiiiii.

THE END FOR 2 MORE YEARS.

I don´t need patience if I have love. Ah I que Viva mi Guayaquil Carajo!

-Cuchita-

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hello:

Thanks.

--Dan

trying to change address mid-process is sometimes problematic in that the change attempt does not always result in the change taking effect on the petition. With that in mind, if you file now can you use an address that will be good the entire time?

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

You be better off filing that in California than Vermont, if you see the threads here, Vermont taking almost twice as long as california and some of the files have been transferred to california. Then do a Change of Address later when you are settle in. California is quicker than Vermont... goodluck!

Honey Bun and Sweet Bun Forevermore

I also have heard of many problems involving change-of-address slowing down the process. I would think about it carefully. Besides, one month CSC is faster, a few months later, VSC is going faster. Good luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Good Luck!

Less than a year ago, I would have said file in Vermont. My case was approved in 61 days and I filed last march. About July or so the train ran off the track in Vermont and it has gotten very slow for K-1s, though my (now) AOS seems to be going quite fast, please, do not ask me to explain what has happened.

But here is another possibility. If you KNOW now what your address will be in Virginia you could file in Vermont now. The situation with the service centers can change, and your case will probably be forwarded to Vermont after you move, so...for what it is worth. I can confirm from the wife of a friend who works at the VSC that they have rcently hired a "bunch of people". I also know from the local news they had some sort of labor dispute at the VSC but I do not know if it affected processing visas...wife of friend says "no", but didn't give details. Go figure.

We are going there (VSC) for our AOS interview next week, but the office where they do the biometrics and interviews is not in the same building as where they do the visa processing. I cannot get any better information from them than what is available here from members of VJ. Their standard answer to ALL questions is "about 6 months". We had our one month ago, I asked them then "how long until we receive an interview and GC?" The answer? "About 6 months" 1 week later we got our interview letter with an appointment ONE month from the biometrics! We filed the AOS mid november and should have the GC within 2 months.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Hello:

Thanks.

--Dan

in my opinion FILE NOW!!! changing an address is stupid easy and takes virtually no time at all

Dr. Bill

I-130

Sent: 11-16-07 (date actually sent)

Rec'd: 12-23-08 (this is date listed as received by USCIS

NOA1 : 2-4-08

touch: 2-7-08

touch : 4-13-08 (probably due to address change)

touch : 4-21-08

touch : 4-22-08

APPROVAL!!: 4-21-08

Payed AOS fee 6-26-08

I-129f

Sent: 3-07-08

NOA1: 3-11-08

touch: 3-14-08

touch: 4-21-08

touch :4-22-08

APPROVAL: 4-21-08

NVC received: 4-28-08

consulate received: 5-5-08

INTERVIEW!!! : 7-17-08

6073.gif

7109.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.