pinayangelus

F-1 VISA HOLDER QUESTIONS ABOUT FILING FOR AOS?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Hi All,

I had some good responses for my first question and I was wondering if you guys could help me again with some more questions that I have...

1. I have been married since July 2005 and have not decided to file for AOS until now. I've been trying to find out some ways that we could show that we have a bonefide marriage. Because I have kept my F-1 Visa status we dont have very many shared bills and documents together.

HERE ARE SOME OF THE THINGS WE SHARE:

- Of course we have our marriage licence.

- Family plan cell phone bill is under his name, but we share both share it and pay for it equally.

- Both of our cars have insurance, that include both our names.

- We have two dogs, both rescued, one under my name and one under my husbands name.

- We live in a mobile home, that is owned by my husbands parents, however I pay for the rental space each month and have done so since 2005.

- I am an authorized user of one of his credit cards.

- We have lived together since 2005 (I have backdated checks from rent)

THINGS WE DO NOT SHARE:

- We do not have a bank account together.

- We do not have a rental agreement or property together.

- Ownership of cars are seperate.

- I am not claimed on my husbands taxes.

I would love to have any input on whether you guys think that this is enough to prove our marriage or do we need more evidence?

2.My husband does not make a lot of money because he is still a student himself and only works part time. We wanted to get joint sponsors, and we have no problem with that. But I just wanted to know exactly what the sponsors will have to fill out... is it just the I-864, and the supporting documents? Is there anything else that is needed?

3.When does the medical examination take place? Am i supposed to find a civil surgeon to perform the exam before sending the AOS packet? Or does the USCIS tell when to do it, and then I just file it at a later date? I'm looking at the USCIS website and it says I have to submit this I-693 with the I-485 packet? Does this apply to me?

THANK YOU :star: FOR TAKING THE TIME OUT TO READ THIS, ANY REPLIES WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED!!

May 2002 -- Met online.

07/16/02 -- Decided to start a long distance relationship.

01/09/04 -- Finally met him in person when he visited me in London, UK.

June & Dec 04 -- Visited him in Los Angeles, CA.

07/10/05 -- Arrived in the U.S. on F-1 Visa.

07/18/05 -- Got married in Las Vegas, NV.

01/08/09 -- Visited London, UK with him.

06/12/09 -- My graduation, F-1 Visa expires in 60 days.

07/30/09 -- Sent off I-485 and I-130 TODAY!

08/02/09 -- Delivered to Chicago Lockbox @ 9.35pm.

08/05/09 -- Checks cashed.

08/08/09 -- Recieved 4 NOA-1's (I-130, I-485, I-131 and I-765).

08/11/09 -- Recieved Biometrics Appointment for 08/28/09 @ 10am.

08/13/09 -- Early (Walk-In) Biometrics taken today.

08/28/09 -- Original Biometrics Appointment.

09/08/09 -- Recieved Interview Appointment in Los Angeles, CA for 10/09/09 @ 9.45am.

09/15/09 -- EAD card production ordered.

09/16/09 -- AP document approval notice sent.

09/22/09 -- AP document recieved.

09/22/09 -- EAD approval notice recieved.

09/23/09 -- EAD recieved.

09/24/09 -- Applied for SSN.

10/02/09 -- Recieved SSN in the mail.

10/09/09 -- Interview Appointment in Los Angeles, CA @ 9.45am. APPROVED

10/15/09 -- Green card production ordered.

10/16/09 -- Recieved I-485 and I-130 Approval/Welcome letter.

10/21/09 -- Green Card recieved, IN HAND.

ticker.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline
Hi All,

I had some good responses for my first question and I was wondering if you guys could help me again with some more questions that I have...

1. I have been married since July 2005 and have not decided to file for AOS until now. I've been trying to find out some ways that we could show that we have a bonefide marriage. Because I have kept my F-1 Visa status we dont have very many shared bills and documents together.

- Family plan cell phone bill is under his name, but we share both share it and pay for it equally.

- We have two dogs, both rescued, one under my name and one under my husbands name.

- We live in a mobile home, that is owned by my husbands parents, however I pay for the rental space each month and have done so since 2005.

THINGS WE DO NOT SHARE:

I would love to have any input on whether you guys think that this is enough to prove our marriage or do we need more evidence?

2.My husband does not make a lot of money because he is still a student himself and only works part time. We wanted to get joint sponsors, and we have no problem with that. But I just wanted to know exactly what the sponsors will have to fill out... is it just the I-864, and the supporting documents? Is there anything else that is needed?

3.When does the medical examination take place? Am i supposed to find a civil surgeon to perform the exam before sending the AOS packet? Or does the USCIS tell when to do it, and then I just file it at a later date? I'm looking at the USCIS website and it says I have to submit this I-693 with the I-485 packet? Does this apply to me?

THANK YOU :star: FOR TAKING THE TIME OUT TO READ THIS, ANY REPLIES WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED!!

I would say that you need more than those,

Not counting the marriage license, the insurance and credit card (which you are an authorized user not a principal), pretty much you look more like roommates than husband and wife.

Gather photographs, love letters, notorized letters from people that can certifying the truthfulness of your relationship. Also, since the income tax filing time is coming, you have the option now to file jointly. Open a second account (checking or savings) under both your names and add your name on the credit card as primary instead of just an authorized user (by doing this your name will appear on the statement, whereas at this time it doesn't). Also some plane, train, bus tickets of trips that you have done together will serve as evidence of a life together.

Yes, a co-sponsor has to fill the supporting financial documents only, remember that even if your husband doesn't make enough money he also has to fill those forms and attach his earnings (W-2 and 2008 income tax), if any, if he hasn't made any money he should type a letter explaining his situation.

Yes, you should schedule your appointment with a civic surgeon and pay it by yourself. Find the list of local doctors on uscis.gov

05/01/08 Green Card in mailbox!!

06/05/10 Real GREEN Card RECEIVED!

01/17/13 Sent application for US Citizenship!!!

01/19/13 Arrived to Arizona Lockbox

01/24/13 Notice of Action

01/25/13 Check cashed

01/28/13 NOA received by mail and biometrics letter mailed as per uscis.gov

02/14/13 Biometrics appointment

03/18/13 In-line for inteview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I agree, after almost 4 years of marriage you may encounter questions like "why haven't you". It's no worries to open a bank account or have each other's names put on cars. I just think the more evidence you have the better and smoother process will go.

Good luck!

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Timeline
I agree, after almost 4 years of marriage you may encounter questions like "why haven't you". It's no worries to open a bank account or have each other's names put on cars. I just think the more evidence you have the better and smoother process will go.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice! I guess we just didnt start a bank account together because i thought you needed a SSN? i dont have one? LOL anyways we're gonna look into it. i'm also going to try and put my husbands name on my car and registration too!

May 2002 -- Met online.

09/08/09 -- Recieved Interview Appointment in Los Angeles, CA for 10/09/09 @ 9.45am.

ticker.png

Timeline
Hi All,

THINGS WE DO NOT SHARE:

I would say that you need more than those,

Not counting the marriage license, the insurance and credit card (which you are an authorized user not a principal), pretty much you look more like roommates than husband and wife.

Gather photographs, love letters, notorized letters from people that can certifying the truthfulness of your relationship. Also, since the income tax filing time is coming, you have the option now to file jointly. Open a second account (checking or savings) under both your names and add your name on the credit card as primary instead of just an authorized user (by doing this your name will appear on the statement, whereas at this time it doesn't). Also some plane, train, bus tickets of trips that you have done together will serve as evidence of a life together.

Yes, a co-sponsor has to fill the supporting financial documents only, remember that even if your husband doesn't make enough money he also has to fill those forms and attach his earnings (W-2 and 2008 income tax), if any, if he hasn't made any money he should type a letter explaining his situation.

Yes, you should schedule your appointment with a civic surgeon and pay it by yourself. Find the list of local doctors on uscis.gov

Thanks for the advice, I'll be sure to do that. I have some questions for you... if you don't mind answering them, LOL i'm really confused.

- Can I still file income tax with my husband even though I am still on F-1 status? and I dont work, I'm not on OPT?

- Also if i do add my name as a primary on one credit card will it affect my credit in anyway?

- How does the notorized system thing work? Do I have my family and friends write a letter and go get it notarized or does the notary have to be present while my family write the letter? How much does it cost?

Thanks a lot... you've been a big help!

May 2002 -- Met online.

ticker.png

Thanks for the advice! I guess we just didnt start a bank account together because i thought you needed a SSN? i dont have one? LOL anyways we're gonna look into it. i'm also going to try and put my husbands name on my car and registration too!

Technically, that's up to the bank's own policies (subject to any state laws also, yada, yada). There's no federal requirement that a bank account holder (or joint holder) has an SSN. I have a joint account with my wife but I don't have an SSN. There's some form filling to do for the IRS that your bank then keeps on file. I think it's a W-8 but don't quote me on it. Apart from that it's quite simple. The only thing that caught us out was that you need one item of proof for your old overseas address. The bank turned me away first time because it didn't even occur to me that I might need something like that. A utility bill, bank statement, etc, will do the job. I think it has to be less than 3 years old.

And the question about notory services, you'll probably find that a bank you have an account with will notorize documents for you free of charge. Otherwise, not more than a few bucks.

Adjustment of Status from K-1 (Very abridged version)

05/20/08 - POE: Chicago O'Hare

07/18/08 - Married

08/30/08 - I-485/I-765 mailed...

03/17/09 - Card production ordered (no notification received!)

03/26/09 - Green card received (196 days)

Removal of Conditions

02/15/11 - I-751 mailed to VSC...

02/22/11 - NOA1 (received 03/03/11)

04/04/11 - Biometrics appt (notice received 03/19/11)

08/22/11 - * * * t u m b l e w e e d s * * * (T+6 months and counting)

09/20/11 - Service Request #1

10/26/11 - Service Request #2

11/29/11 - Interview @ Atlanta Field Office - Approved & I-551 stamped

12/07/11 - Card production ordered

12/10/11 - Green card received (293 days)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.