sweet_peach

Spouce with no SS number

21 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
how long does a person have to file the "ammended" return and what is that??? sorry don't know much more then the basics on taxes

no time limits on filing amended returns - but if you wind up owing taxes be prepared for penalities and interest. if you cannot file by the years deadline then you should file an extention and follow-up.

irs.gov

actually there is a time limit... it is three years from the due date of the return or the date of filing (whichever is later) if your change will result in a refund

Generally, to claim a refund, Form 1040X must be filed within 3 years from the date of your original return or within 2 years from the date you paid the tax, whichever is later. Returns filed before the due date (without regard to extensions) are considered filed on the due date.

http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc308.html

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

I'm also going to file HOH, as always..there are "considered unmarried status" guidelines. I meet all of them, and i want the fullest tax return possible, since he has never stepped foot in the country, i think its fair lol not to mention legal heh

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p17/ch02.h...ublink100032144

"Considered Unmarried

To qualify for head of household status, you must be either unmarried or considered unmarried on the last day of the year. You are considered unmarried on the last day of the tax year if you meet all the following tests.

You file a separate return, defined earlier under Joint Return After Separate Returns .

You paid more than half the cost of keeping up your home for the tax year.

Your spouse did not live in your home during the last 6 months of the tax year. Your spouse is considered to live in your home even if he or she is temporarily absent due to special circumstances. See Temporary absences , under Qualifying Person, later.

Your home was the main home of your child, stepchild, or foster child for more than half the year. (See Home of qualifying person , under Qualifying Person, later, for rules applying to a child's birth, death, or temporary absence during the year.)

You must be able to claim an exemption for the child. However, you meet this test if you cannot claim the exemption only because the noncustodial parent can claim the child using the rules described in Children of divorced or separated parents under Qualifying Child in chapter 3, or in Support Test for Children of Divorced or Separated Parents under Qualifying Relative in chapter 3. The general rules for claiming an exemption for a dependent are explained under Exemptions for Dependents in chapter 3. "

I know that didnt answer your question sweetpeach, sorry :)

"you fondle my trigger then you blame my gun"

Timeline: 13 month long journey from filing to visa in hand

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
how long does a person have to file the "ammended" return and what is that??? sorry don't know much more then the basics on taxes

no time limits on filing amended returns - but if you wind up owing taxes be prepared for penalities and interest. if you cannot file by the years deadline then you should file an extention and follow-up.

irs.gov

actually there is a time limit... it is three years from the due date of the return or the date of filing (whichever is later) if your change will result in a refund

Generally, to claim a refund, Form 1040X must be filed within 3 years from the date of your original return or within 2 years from the date you paid the tax, whichever is later. Returns filed before the due date (without regard to extensions) are considered filed on the due date.

http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc308.html

absolutely correct, thank you. I was thinking of the "guidelines for filing" the 1040 and not the amended return 1040X.

Timeline:

3/11/08 I 129 F filed

3/20/08 NOA1

6/20/08 NOA2

7/05/08 Packet 3

12/22/08 Interview

12/29/08 Visa Delivered

1/26/08 POE

3/20/08 Wedding

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

What I was told by IRS. Yes you can put your wife and kids on your tax return, and they do not have to have a Social security numbers. You file as any couple would do and claim most of the deductions. There is a form that you fill out for wife and kids, for taxpayer Identification numbers. I forget the number. sorry. They can not get SS number before they get to the USA, but they can get TIN number. And it is applied for, at the time you send in your taxes. IRS told me not to file an amended return. More work for you and them, and a waste of time. don't let any tax preparer try to tell you otherwise. This came straight for IRS. I am in the same situation with wife and two kids.

06-10-2008I-130 sent Chicago lock box

10-16-2008 (NOA1)Received Calif service center

10-19-2008 (touch)

10-25-2008 (NOA2) I-130 approval sent to NVC

02-10-2009 Interview

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

you are right about the spouse not having to be living in the US. as long as you are married anytime during the year and you provide for that persons support. It counts and no ss NO. needed. Just and ITIN you apply for when you send in the taxes.

06-10-2008I-130 sent Chicago lock box

10-16-2008 (NOA1)Received Calif service center

10-19-2008 (touch)

10-25-2008 (NOA2) I-130 approval sent to NVC

02-10-2009 Interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.