Shawnra

Establishing Domicile

8 posts in this topic

Right now, my husband and I are gathering the documents for the interview. And I have a question about the I864.

The situation is I dont have an established domicile in the US right now. The plan is to stay with my relatives until we get things in order and we used their address on the I-130 as the intended address of the immigrant. We are also using a joint-sponsor but they are not the same people.

So, to establish a domicile what does that require given the circumstances? Can I use my relatives home?

I'm worried the situation is a bit messy and it might be better to use the joint sponsor's address as the intending address. In that case would they need to fill out the I-864A instead? And how do I change the intended address with the embassy?

My Visa Journey so far......

Met my husband..... May 2004

First visit to Brazil....June 2006

Second visit to Brazil....May 2007

Married in Brazil....October 4, 2007

Applied for Brazilian Residency.... November 2007

Brazilian Residency Approved.... August 2008

I-130 Sent.... December 1, 2008

Packet 3 received.... December 19th, 2008

DS forms mailed... March 16, 2009

Packet 4 received.... April 6, 2009

Immigrant Visa Interview... May 27, 2009

Pregnant... due April 2009

Lydia Lorraine Nascimento born April 18th, 2009

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Where do you receive mail in the USA?

Do you have a valid US driver's license, what is the address on it?

Did you vote in the last election?

Have you filed IRS returns while out of country? US citizens may be exempt from paying tax on foreign income but are NOT exempt from filing returns. Past year IRS return is a requirement of form I-864

More here: http://travel.state.gov/pdf/I-864GenInfo-FAQ-Final.pdf

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Right now, my husband and I are gathering the documents for the interview. And I have a question about the I864.

The situation is I dont have an established domicile in the US right now. The plan is to stay with my relatives until we get things in order and we used their address on the I-130 as the intended address of the immigrant. We are also using a joint-sponsor but they are not the same people.

So, to establish a domicile what does that require given the circumstances? Can I use my relatives home?

I'm worried the situation is a bit messy and it might be better to use the joint sponsor's address as the intending address. In that case would they need to fill out the I-864A instead? And how do I change the intended address with the embassy?

As Yu has touched on, 'domicile' for immigration purposes does not necessarily mean just having a house to stay at in the U.S. when you arrive.

This thread might help you:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...p;#entry2437540

Have you filed IRS returns while out of country? US citizens may be exempt from paying tax on foreign income but are NOT exempt from filing returns. Past year IRS return is a requirement of form I-864

My driver's license expired since I've been living in Brazil. And the address on it is my mothers old address which she doesnt live in anymore.

I didnt vote in the last election.

I was exempt from filing taxes since I've left the country because I havent been working.

I've read the list of things you can use to establish a domicile but I have nothing. And the only thing that is possible for me to do as far as establishing a domicile is signing a lease. But I'd rather not do that. Because I'm not sure when I'll be leaving for the US. So I was hoping there was another way...

I may still recieve some mail from my mothers new address... Would supplying a letter with my name and her address on it be enough?

As Yu has touched on, 'domicile' for immigration purposes does not necessarily mean just having a house to stay at in the U.S. when you arrive.

This thread might help you:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...p;#entry2437540

I read the thread and it helped a lot. We got some good ideas. I just hope its enough. Thanks! :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My driver's license expired since I've been living in Brazil. And the address on it is my mothers old address which she doesnt live in anymore.

I didnt vote in the last election.

I was exempt from filing taxes since I've left the country because I havent been working.

I've read the list of things you can use to establish a domicile but I have nothing. And the only thing that is possible for me to do as far as establishing a domicile is signing a lease. But I'd rather not do that. Because I'm not sure when I'll be leaving for the US. So I was hoping there was another way...

I may still recieve some mail from my mothers new address... Would supplying a letter with my name and her address on it be enough?

Depends. Every consulate is different. As you know, from reading the thread I linked above, or maybe I didn't mention it - we supplied much more than just a letter with an address and we were asked by NVC to supply more proof of domicile.

Maybe Brazil is really lax in terms of proving domicile - I just don't know, hopefully someone with some first hand experience will come by and give you some information on that.

Some things you can do right away:

- Open a U.S. bank account and deposit at least a bit of cash.

- Get a letter from whomever you are going to live with when you get there - stating that you and your wife will be living there and that you have agreed on a rental amount.

- Get a written quote from a moving company, even an online quote, with your anticipated date of move and what it will cost.

- Write a letter stating that you plan to reestablish domicile no later than the intending immigrant, as soon as her visa is approved.

Try not to think of it as 'establishing' domicile, try to think of it as 're-establishing' domicile. As mentioned in the other thread, what things can you send them/show them that say 'hey - we are moving'. Good luck

Edited by trailmix

Also, be sure to write "USA" for your domicile on the I-864.

My Crafting Blog - On a Roll - Blogspot

3179788211_95b93e62af_t.jpg3179788215_6a1e497e9b_t.jpg3165849344_f296789fd3_t.jpg

US Immigration Timeline

-------------------------

24 Feb 2007 - Sent I-130 to London USCIS office (I'm the petitioner)

25 May 2007 - NOA2

2 June 2007 - Received Packet 3

12 Oct 2007 - Sent Packet 3 back by special delivery

5 Nov 2007 - Interview in London - Approved without any hitches!

7 Nov 2007 - Visa and MBE arrived by SMS! :)

30 Jan 2008 - Fly to Michigan!! :)

*Note: Any delays in our case are only due to us taking things slowly

Filed: Country: El Salvador
Timeline

Hello,

I am the USC and since I was doing Direct Consular Filing I was living in El Salvador for the past two years and my address in the application was in El Salvador.

My address in the US was my mom's but come to think of it I never used it. The only place I put an address in the US was where the intending immigrant was going to live and that was our co-sponsors address since my husband wanted to live with his relatives.

Our packet 4 was sent to this address of our co-sponsors probably because it is the address the intending immigrant is supposed to be living in the future. (When I called to see where our packet 4 was they had that as my address and not that in El Salvador)

Don´t know if that helps... =)

Nydia Y Neftaly (NYN)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.