w¡n9Nµ7 §£@¥€r

Survey: Media blamed for making fiscal crisis worse (this wins todays no sh1t award)

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Seventy-seven percent of Americans think the U.S. media are making the economic situation worse by highlighting negative news and, as a result, lowering consumer confidence and investment activity.

The survey of 1,000 adults was conducted in early December by Opinion Research Corp., which asked: “Do you think the financial press is making the economic crisis worse by projecting fear into people’s minds?”

Broken down by income, 79 percent said yes from households making $25,000 to $35,000, and 78 percent said yes from households making $75,000 or more.

By demographic, 85 percent of 18-to-24 year olds said yes, while 65 percent of African-Americans agreed.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantonio/stor...29/daily33.html

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
The media can talk a market up and it can talk it down. None of this is surprising or even new.

That may be the cause and effect, but hardly an excuse for blame.

The media can talk a market up and it can talk it down. None of this is surprising or even new.

We have to blame somebody, why not the media?

:rolleyes:

If you don't think financial markets are swayed by the media, I don't know what to tell ya ;)

The tool of fear works amazingly well. What sad is the majority of ppl suck it up.

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."- Ayn Rand

“Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you.”

― Andrew Wilkow

If you don't think financial markets are swayed by the media, I don't know what to tell ya ;)

The financial markets are fickle and swayed very easily, sometimes over nothing. Look at the bubble that drove oil to $147. That run up was idiotic.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Timeline

This amounts to nothing but lame-azz scapegoating.

The financial markets are fickle and swayed very easily, sometimes over nothing. Look at the bubble that drove oil to $147. That run up was idiotic.

Exactly. Swaying the financial markets is easy, and yet Steven doesn't believe it.

Timeline

Exactly. Swaying the financial markets is easy, and yet Steven doesn't believe it.

Again cause and effect vs. blame. It's how people react to media reports. It's up to the individual to sift through all the information they have available to them and make informed decisions instead of being reactionary. Sorry but I won't join in you scapegoating the media.

Exactly, it's up to the individual. That's the nature of financial markets, they're a collection of a very large number of individual decisions (some taken by individual investors, others by institutional investors). The media and all other sources of information affect those decisions. This is financial markets 101.

Timeline
Exactly, it's up to the individual. That's the nature of financial markets, they're a collection of a very large number of individual decisions (some taken by individual investors, others by institutional investors). The media and all other sources of information affect those decisions. This is financial markets 101.

Blaming the media

We were thinking of covering rising non-performing assets at Birmingham, Ala.-based Superior Bancorp, who saw its NPAs rise well ahead of loss reserves during the second quarter. The bank saw its allowance for loan losses fall to just 69 percent of total nonperforming loans, down from 160 percent coverage one year earlier and 90 percent to start the year.

But then we saw that the bank was blaming the media for a resulting drop in Q2 earnings:

The entire banking industry is operating in an adverse environment relative to maximizing short-term performance. Factors such as the challenging credit cycle, housing softness,
gloomy media coverage
, weakened consumer confidence and dramatic Federal Reserve rate reductions are causing a stiff headwind in 2008. [emphasis added]

We don’t make investment calls here, but seeing a bank’s loss coverage ratios fall precipitously while non-performing assets rise — and then seeing the bank blame “gloomy media coverage” as a factor behind an “adverse environment” — well, it suggests a management that hasn’t yet come to terms with market reality.

It also gave us an idea, to test out Superior’s thesis: if a bank’s earnings keep falling, and loss coverage ratios keep falling, but the media doesn’t cover it, does it still happen?

http://www.housingwire.com/2008/07/28/blaming-the-media/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Seventy-seven percent of Americans think the U.S. media are making the economic situation worse by highlighting negative news and, as a result, lowering consumer confidence and investment activity.

The survey of 1,000 adults was conducted in early December by Opinion Research Corp., which asked: “Do you think the financial press is making the economic crisis worse by projecting fear into people’s minds?”

Broken down by income, 79 percent said yes from households making $25,000 to $35,000, and 78 percent said yes from households making $75,000 or more.

By demographic, 85 percent of 18-to-24 year olds said yes, while 65 percent of African-Americans agreed.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantonio/stor...29/daily33.html

i don't blame the media for making the economic situation worse by highlighting negative news, i blame aj for that :D

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!