Kharkov_Natalie

Calling all American women married to Russian men

51 posts in this topic

Hi everyone-

Great to see you all, I have not been here in a while. Kopa, glad to hear things are going well!

I will read this thread more carefully when I have more time, but I immediately see great advice as KGSodie said. My husband and I are still loving life together and are so grateful for the miracle of our meeting. But there are certainly bumps in the road (possible future child rearing attitudes, included). He is doing well in the work arena and things are going better in his interactions with my family, whom we (unfortunately) see rarely. We all love taking long walks together. They taught him to play bridge and he picked it up quickly, so I think that gave him confidence. He and my brother play chess and they both enjoy that.

Learning to drive, he had an accident and now does not want to resume for fear of potential financial and other ruin that could ensue. Not sure how to address this except to just maybe say, get an instructor and do it. He passed the written in TX and came close to passing the driving test, but in TX. Now we are in CA.

I handle finances. He does dishes and lots of other help. Overall things are really good, but I know he struggles sometimes with our culture and language here. English is REALLY hard. If anyone wants to talk (Natalie!) PM me and we can talk by phone. Best to everyone, and hang in there.

my fiance refused to do dishes while he was here; however, he now swears he can't wait to come do the dishes! :thumbs:

"why would I want to do the dishes?"

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

I just want to thank everyone who replied. I took something from each of your posts and I think the overall message was that with patience things will get better with time and to live the American way and in time they will get used to that as well.

I also discovered that the issues are similar whether the husband or the wife is the USC.

If any of you would like to talk personally, feel free to PM me.

Good luck to all of you who are about to embark on this journey. It can be a rollercoaster ride, but that's what makes it exciting!

Edited by Kharkov_Natalie

• Jan 2004 - Met Sergey in Kharkov Ukraine when I substituted for his English teacher
  • August 2006 - Sergey and I are reacquainted and begin dating
  • February 2007 - Sergey proposes
  • May 19 2007 - Sergey and I are married in Ukraine
  • Jan 16 2008 - Filed I-130 petition at Kyiv Embassy
  • Jan 31 2008 - I-130 Approved
  • Feb 18 2008 - Medical Appointment
  • Feb 21 2008 - Final Interview Date - Visa approved
  • Feb 25 2008 - Visa delivered!
  • April 24 2008 - Arrived in America
  • June 21 2008 - Our son is born (3 months early). We made it to America just in time!
  • Waiting to "Remove Conditions" in 2010

Removing Conditions

• Feb 17 2010 - Sent off I-751
  • Feb 22 2010 - Date of NOA1
  • Mar 26 2010 - Date of Bio
  • May 10 2010 - Approved
  • June 2 2010 - Received Card in the mail

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline
He still says what he thinks very bluntly. He expected to get a job at the top and not have to work his way up....

Complains about our country a lot even though I know he wouldn't give it up and go back for all the money in the world, etc.

As for softening things up when talking to people, being "nice," showing a little common courtesy, etc., it will happen.

And yes, Russian people say things bluntly as they are. That's how we are. I can't get used to American sweet talk even after 4 years here. It is just culture. What is considered rude in America is perfectly fine in Russia and American extreme tactfullness is perceived as hypocrisy in Russia.

Awsome topic. Now I know why everybody here (where I live) thinks I am Russian. I had no idea we were so much alike.

I have been here 3.5 years and had previously lived in USA. Also I worked with many Americans in Poland so I thought I knew where I was going. I guess I was wrong. I used to live in Chicago in Polish community. Huge difference between Chicago and Virginia where I am now.

I am the immigrant spouse who all that quotes above apply to. People also perceive me as "rude" because I refuse to lie :P It took a while for me to realize that I offend people by truthfully answering questions. Every time my husband introduced me to somebody, their very first question was: "so how do you like it here ?". Well..... I thought they really wanted to know (why ask otherwise ?) so I would answer "oh, I absolutely hate it". Just recently my co-worker of 2.5 years told me it was considered rude ?!?!?! I won't tell anyone they have an ugly baby or I hate the dinner they made, even if this is the way I feel but why how am I offending somebody by not liking the town they live in ?

I could talk/type about it for hours, but I will make it short: Good luck to you all and hang in there. Hopefully your Russian/foreign spouses will get used to the new reality and life will get easier. I see myself changing bit by bit, but I swear: I will never say I like this town unless I really get to like it ;)

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Common responses in one culture can be shockingly rude in another. My first advise to my Russian students was to be very careful when saying "of course!" (конечно!) in English. While usually not rude in Russian, ("Is the museum closed?" "Of course! It' past 5 o'clock!") this phrase can sound very rude and even insulting in English when spoken with the normal Russian intonation.

Now convincing your spouse to change his/her habits of speech may present some challenges. ;)

Edited by PJB

Feb 11, 2005 ZAGS wedding in Moscow

Aug 7,2005 married in the Cathedral in Dmitrov

June 27, 2008 mail I-130

July 11,2008 sent I-129F

Oct 2, 2008 Yuri received packets 3+4 from US Embassy Moscow

Nov 20, 2008 Interview....VISA APPROVED!!!!!!

Dec 10, 2008 Yuri arrived! No problems :)

April 20, 2009 mailed AOS

May 4, 2009 medical exam

May 21, 2009 biometrics done

June 5, 2009 received EAD by mail

Aug 10, 2009 interview-given greencard congradulations letter with stamp

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Can you even imagine the party we could have if we all lived closer together! :)

It's great to find women who I can find things in common with when it comes to being married to a Russian husband.

Keep in touch, everyone! Thanks for sharing all the great advice. Natalie, don't disappear now; keep us informed.

I-129F Sent : 2007-10-11

I-129F NOA1 : 2007-10-22

I-129F NOA2 : 2008-02-04

Interview Date : 2008-04-24

Visa Received : 2008-04-29

US Entry : 2008-05-24

Marriage : 2008-06-21

AOS Filed : 2008-07-24

NOA Date : 2008-07-28

RFE(s) : 2008-09-09

Bio. Appt. : 2008-09-10

AOS Interview: 2009-04-07

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Israel
Timeline

By far, one of the most interesting topics here in RU forum....Mox is right, it's been dead in here lately.

Reading the whole thread made me laugh and realize that i am not the only one who's going through everything you ladies said. My husband is originally from Lviv, Ukraine but moved to Israel about 7 years ago before we met. So a lot of his mentality is Ukrainian/Israeli.

He's been here for 1.5 years and I think only now little by little starts adjusting to USA and maybe feeling like this is becoming his country and not Israel.

He felt the same way as Natalie's husband about the job. He didn't want to start from the low ladder, he wanted his first job to be a high paid job and something with a nice title. He couldn't understand why should he work for a low salary and etc when he got his university degree in IT/WebDesigner/computer programmer. I think Sergey ( Natalie's husband) would become best friends with my hubby LOL....they seem to have almost the same personality. Yeah, my hushband is very blunt too. On some level, our relationship is probably a bit easier than others since I am Russian myself, so we don't have any language barrier but that really doesn't mean that we don't have our bumps or it was easier for him to adjust to USA. I would probably say that learning English is probably harder for him than for any of your husbands because you guys talk english at home and we speak Russian. When we go somewhere he will ask me to ask something and will not speak english in front of me even though he knows how to say it but he always underestimates himself. Even when he does ask someone something and they will reply back, right away he will look at me like " oh my god, i don't know what he/she said". More often than not, he just underestimates himself. When he's watching some American comedy shows, he's laughing and then he goes to me " oh my god, i understood everything" So it's like he understands, he speaks it but he doesn't believe in himself. Even when it comes to work/job, he's just looking to work with Russians or with Israelis, he's afraid to work for Americans just in case he won't be able to communicate with them. I tried to explain more than once, that he's in America and sooner or later he will NEED to work with Americans and communicate with them, as of now it's just pointless to talk about it. So just like everyone else, I am just asking for patiece.....LOTS OF PATIENCE :blush:

And english is harder for him because he speaks 4 languages fluently and English is his 5th, so every language he knows is being mixed in with English.

Edited by NYGirl

12/14/09 - I-751 mailed

12/23/09 - Check cashed

12/28/09 - NOA1 (dated 12/21/09)

01/03/10 - I-797 NOA received for biometrics appt

01/26/10 - Biometrics appt.

01/27/10 - Touch

04/29/10 - Approved

reminder for myself: apply for citizenship in november 2010

• 2 weeks later...

new cultural difference discoveries... fiance skyped me today and i was chewing gum. i was told that i looked like a cow. apparently all cows do is chew, so chewing gum when talking to others is prohibited. also, my tiny, fluffy, white, clean dog sleeps in my bed. according to him, it's disgusting. last, but not least, i can't wish anyone dead. not even in anger, because god will punish me.

Get used to stuff like that because you're going to hear something like that at least once a day once you're together.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Get used to stuff like that because you're going to hear something like that at least once a day once you're together.

great :rolleyes:

And it's only the beggining...

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
new cultural difference discoveries... fiance skyped me today and i was chewing gum. i was told that i looked like a cow. apparently all cows do is chew, so chewing gum when talking to others is prohibited. also, my tiny, fluffy, white, clean dog sleeps in my bed. according to him, it's disgusting. last, but not least, i can't wish anyone dead. not even in anger, because god will punish me.

Never heard that first one .. But the last is pretty much the norm in most christian religions :-)

I always find asking why and talking about it if i find it strange to be a good way to make it better. My fiancee has some quirks as such but we always talk about it and figure it out. You will be fine just be patient and communicate. :-)

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Living together may result in your education about "the evil draft". Russians believe that a cold draft will cause all kinds of dangerous illnesses. At night I like to sleep with a window open and only a light blanket over me (this is Los Angeles and the night temps are usually in the 60'sF). Hubby has agreed to let me go to sleep with a window open only 4 inches. But everynight I wake up in a sweat and find not only is the window closed but he has covered me with quilts. He's doing this out of love and fear for my health so I can't really argue about it, just keep kicking off the blankets. :yes:

Feb 11, 2005 ZAGS wedding in Moscow

Aug 7,2005 married in the Cathedral in Dmitrov

June 27, 2008 mail I-130

July 11,2008 sent I-129F

Oct 2, 2008 Yuri received packets 3+4 from US Embassy Moscow

Nov 20, 2008 Interview....VISA APPROVED!!!!!!

Dec 10, 2008 Yuri arrived! No problems :)

April 20, 2009 mailed AOS

May 4, 2009 medical exam

May 21, 2009 biometrics done

June 5, 2009 received EAD by mail

Aug 10, 2009 interview-given greencard congradulations letter with stamp

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.