leapoffaith

how to get SS

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I am on K1 visa. When I filed the I 94 at the airport, I was given a paper which stated that I would receive the SS within 3 weeks.

But, I also see the form here to apply. How does it work ? Do I have to apply ? or would I get it automatically ?

I've never heard of a K-1 automatically receiving a SSN. I took Claudeth to the social security office after she had been here for two weeks and she received her card about a week after that.

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10096.html#how

Wait about 2 weeks to get into the system, then go apply.

Edited by Nagishkaw

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Filed: Timeline
I am on K1 visa. When I filed the I 94 at the airport, I was given a paper which stated that I would receive the SS within 3 weeks.

But, I also see the form here to apply. How does it work ? Do I have to apply ? or would I get it automatically ?

The Social Security Administration (SSA) has entered into agreements with the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and the Department of State (DOS) for those agencies to assist SSA by collecting as part of the immigration process the information SSA needs to assign Social Security numbers and issue SSN cards. DHS electronically forwards the data to SSA once the person is admitted to the United States (U.S.), to assign Social Security numbers and issue SSN cards. SSA calls this data sharing process Enumeration at Entry (EAE).

RM 00202.315 Enumeration At Entry:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100202315

Original SSN or replacement card applications are now taken at most United States embassies as part of the immigrant visa application process.

Individuals applying for nonimmigrant visas currently are not eligible to be assigned Social Security numbers through the EAE process and all K visa classifications are nonimmigrant visas.

An individual that entered the United States with K-1 status applying for a work authorized SSN must present evidence at an SSA office or Card Center to establish his or her age, identity and current lawful employment authorized status.

An individual needs to provide at least two documents as evidence to establish age, identity and current lawful employment authorized status.

SSA will not assign an SSN or issue a card to an individual that is within 14 days of his or her alien status expiring. Until the 76th day after entry an individual with K-1 status only needs to provide an unexpired I-94 showing current K-1 status to establish employment authorized status for SSN purposes.

Once, an individual that entered the United States with K-1 status has been in the United States 76 days he or she will need another document, i.e. I-551 or I-766 to establish employment authorized status for SSN purposes.

RM 00203.500 Employment Authorization for Nonimmigrants:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203500#C1

RM 00203.410 Evidence of Alien Status for an SSN Card for an Alien Lawfully Admitted for Permanent Residence:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203410

Note: Marriage does not affect an individual with K-1 status's eligibility to be assigned an SSN and/or issued a card.

Only the marriage document is needed to establish the name change if it meets the following criteria:

-- The new name can be derived from the marriage document, i.e. bride

takes the groom’s last name, groom takes bride’s last name, compound

name (with or without hyphen) of each spouse’s original name for

either or both parties.

Note: The type of name change requested must also be allowable under state law, i.e. groom taking bride’s last name.

-- The marriage occurred within the past two years

-- The marriage document shows sufficient identifying information

(e.g., biographical data such as age, date of birth or parent's

names), and

-- The identifying information matches the information on his/her

Social Security number (Numident) record.

The applicant may need to submit an identity document in the old name along with the marriage document if:

-- The marriage occurred within the last two years and has biographical

information, e.g., age, date of birth or parent's names which does

not match our records, e.g., the SSN record.

-- The marriage occurred within the last two years, but does not show

biographical information, or

-- The marriage occurred over two years ago (with or without

biographical information.

The identity document used to establish the old name must match the name on the current SSN record. The identity document is acceptable even if over two years old or expired.

In name change situations when evidence of identity in the old name is required and the applicant does not have any acceptable evidence of identity in the old name with him or her at the time the SSN application is filed, we can request the following documentation to process the name change:

1. Name change document (e.g., marriage document) showing the old name that agrees with the name on the latest Numident record (Numident) (e.g., maiden name), and

2. Acceptable evidence of identity in the new name (name to be shown on the SSN card), excluding marriage document if it was submitted as the name change document and

3. Verification of identifying information (SSN, name(s) on latest Numident record, date of birth, place of birth, parents’ names) from the latest Numident record.

If these three documentation requirements are not met, the name change request cannot be processed under this new policy. Evidence of identity in the old name would need to be submitted per EM-06064.

Note: Refer the Social Security office personnel to EM-06064, which was issued 10/02/2006 and EM-07045, which was issued 07/03/2007 for the current procedures regarding name changes based on marriage.

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/public/refere...cttocategory=EM

This is in addition to proof of current lawful employment authorized status.

RM 00203.210 C. Procedure - Immigration Document as Evidence of Legal Name:

When an alien applies for an SSN card, we presume the name on the immigration document is the legal name unless the applicant presents evidence of a legal name change, e.g., marriage, which occurred after the immigration document was issued.

In cases where an alien applies for a replacement SSN card and submits an immigration document showing a name that is different from the name on the prior Numident record, accept the immigration document as evidence of the legal name. In these cases, the prior SSN card may have been issued in a name that was not the number holder’s legal name.

RM 00203.210 Changing Numident Name Data:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203210

When requesting an SSN card, the documents presented, as evidence must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. SSA cannot accept uncertified or notarized photocopies as evidence.

“If the applicant has no immediate need for the SSN and the translation can be done promptly or the foreign language document is the only evidence available; have the document translated by an authorized translator and use the document as evidence.”

“If the applicant has a pressing need for an SSN, and evidence other than the foreign language document is available; request other evidence and process the application without the foreign language document.”

RM 00203.040 Reviewing SSN Evidence:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203040#B3

SSA translators comprise two groups:

-- Field office and Payment Center employees who volunteer their

services as translators

-- Central Translation Section translators who hold actual translator

positions.

GN 00301.340 Authorized Translators Defined:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0200301340

If a foreign-born person has the foreign birth certificate (BC) in his/her possession or can easily obtain a copy, he or she must submit it as proof of age. When a person is foreign-born, a BC may not exist, may not have been recorded shortly after birth, or the probative value of the document may not be high. In these situations, SSA can accept alternative evidence of age in order of probative value. The alternative evidence of age may be less than a year old, e.g., a DHS document or passport.

You can find detailed information regarding evidence that establishes age on the SSA Website at:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203110

The documents acceptable as evidence of identity are now based on three factors: (1) the applicant’s age, (2) the applicant’s citizenship/alien status, and (3) the relative probative value of documents.

Primary Identity Evidence for an alien:

-- Form I-551, Permanent Resident Card (includes temporary I-551

Stamp in combination with an unexpired foreign passport when the I-

551 Permanent Resident Card has not yet been issued)

-- Form I-94, Arrival/departure Record in combination with an unexpired

foreign passport

-- Form I-766, Employment Authorization card

-- Form I-688B, Employment Authorization card

Note: Document must be unexpired

Secondary Identity Evidence for an alien:

-- Unexpired valid U.S. driver’s license (excludes licenses known to be

suspended or revoked)

-- U.S. State issued non-driver identity card (issued by the same State

agency which issues driver’s licenses/State-level agency with

issuing authority over the State’s identity card and not expired)

-- Marriage document showing in addition to the applicant’s name

either the applicant’s date of birth ( DOB) or age

-- Certified copy of medical record (clinic, doctor, or hospital) or

letter providing extract data from the medical record showing in

addition to the applicant’s name, the applicant’s DOB or age

-- Health insurance or Medicaid card showing, in addition to the

person’s name, either a photograph of the person or his/her DOB

-- School identity card or record (for current school year) showing, in

addition to the applicant’s name, either a photograph of the

applicant or the applicant’s DOB

-- Life insurance policy for the person showing his/her age or DOB.

However, the acceptability of an identity document must be evaluated on a case by case basis by the office processing the application.

You can find detailed information regarding evidence that establishes identity on the SSA Website at:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203200

SSA cannot accept an application filing receipt or notice of action as evidence of an immigration document.

Take the required documents to the nearest Social Security office. Individuals age 12 or older applying for an original SSN and card must apply in person at one of our offices.

You can obtain the address and directions to the nearest Social Security office from the Social Security Office Locator, which is available on the Internet at:

http://www.ssa.gov/locator

Note: Applicants who live or receive mail in the Brooklyn, NY, Queens, NY, Phoenix, AZ, Orlando, FL, Sacramento, CA or Las Vegas, NV area MUST apply in person at one of the Social Security Card Centers.

Card Center Information:

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/ssa.cf...hp?p_faqid=1412

Sacramento Card Center

8581 Folsom Blvd. Suite B

Sacramento, CA 95826

Hours: Monday through Friday, 9:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m.

Normally, an SSN card should be received in the mail within two weeks after the application and document(s) have been received and verified.

However, when an alien requests an SSN or replacement card, we must verify his or her documents/current status with the appropriate Bureau of the Department of Homeland Security. If the initial online verification is not possible through the Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements (SAVE) system, we may need to send a Form G-845 to the appropriate Bureau of the Department of Homeland Security for manual verification.

Since 01/06/2007 Social Security field offices can submit an additional electronic online verification, which in the majority of applications eliminates the need to send a Form G-845 along with copies of the applicant’s immigration documents.

However, some applications still require a copy of the immigration document(s) being verified to be sent at the request of the Department of Homeland Security along with the Form G-845 for manual verification.

Note: If the applicant has changed his/her name after an immigration document, i.e. I-94, was issued, e.g., married and is now using the married name, but has not obtained a corrected immigration document showing the new name; this is not a name discrepancy for enumeration purposes, i.e. SAVE clearance, if the applicant can provide an acceptable legal name change document to establish the new name.

The 14 day status expiration limit for assigning an SSN and/or issuing a card applies even if an individual submitted his or her application before being within the 14 day period and entered the 14 day period while waiting for his or her status to be verified.

All cards are mailed from Social Security Headquarters in Baltimore, Maryland to the postal address provided on the Form SS-5.

When am I legally required to provide my Social Security number:

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/ssa.cf....php?p_faqid=78

I guess you have to apply. Its quite easy, you just need to present your passport and I-94. I arrived last Dec 23, and applied yesterday (dec 30), 7 days after arrival.

Edited by rheanick

K1 Process:

May 1, 2008 Submitted I-129F to CSC

May 8, 2008 Received by CSC

May 9, 2008 NOA1

May 18, 2008 Touched

October 9, 2008 RFE

October 28, 2008 RFE Reply

October 29, 2008 Touched

October 30, 2008 Touched

November 1, 2008 NOA2 (HardCopy)

November 11, 2008 Letter from NVC (Hardcopy)

November 14 & 17, 2008 Medical (Passed)

November 26, 2008 Interview (Passed)

December 5, 2008 Visa Received

December 23, 2008 US Entry (POE: Hawaii)

February 7, 2009 Private Wedding

AOS Process:

March 9, 2009 Mailed AOS Application via Express Mail (I-485, I-765, I-131)

March 10, 2009 USPS confirmed that AOS application was delivered and received in Chicago

March 18, 2009 Received NOA for AOS, EAD and AP

April 8, 2009 Biometrics Done

April 27, 2009 AP Approved

May 1, 2009 AP received in the mail

May 2, 2009 EAD card received in the mail

May 29, 2009 AOS interview (Approved)

June 29, 2009 GC received

ROC Process

March 1, 2011 Mailed I-175 Application via Express Mail

March 4 ,2011 NOA for I-175

April 05,2011 Biometrics [Early Biometrics March 22, 2011]

April 21,2011 Approval

April 27,2011 10 Year Green Card Received

Naturalization Process

March 6, 2012 Mailed N-400 Application via Express Mail

[/size]

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
I guess you have to apply. Its quite easy, you just need to present your passport and I-94. I arrived last Dec 23, and applied yesterday (dec 30), 7 days after arrival.

Could I send the filled application form along with my passport and I-94 through my fiancee ? or do I have to be there in person.

Her office is near the ss office and it would be difficult for her to leave office and take me there. I cant drive and there's no public

transport here.

No For an original SSN and card you have to apply in person if age 12 or older.

Even if you could apply by mail, would you really trust the USPS and the SSA with your passport and I-94? (they don't take copies) It would be very unwise to give up your identity and immigration documents for an unknown period of time while they process. Goodness only knows what might happen in the mean time... Getting pulled over and asked for ID by the cops springs to mind - you'd be stuffed, to put it mildly!

Much better to appear in person, present your documents and take them away with you when you leave :)

Adjustment of Status from K-1 (Very abridged version)

05/20/08 - POE: Chicago O'Hare

07/18/08 - Married

08/30/08 - I-485/I-765 mailed...

03/17/09 - Card production ordered (no notification received!)

03/26/09 - Green card received (196 days)

Removal of Conditions

02/15/11 - I-751 mailed to VSC...

02/22/11 - NOA1 (received 03/03/11)

04/04/11 - Biometrics appt (notice received 03/19/11)

08/22/11 - * * * t u m b l e w e e d s * * * (T+6 months and counting)

09/20/11 - Service Request #1

10/26/11 - Service Request #2

11/29/11 - Interview @ Atlanta Field Office - Approved & I-551 stamped

12/07/11 - Card production ordered

12/10/11 - Green card received (293 days)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

The SS site has conflicting info to what has been stated here... it says that someone needs a work permit to be eligible for an SSN number.

Original Social Security Number for a Noncitizen Adult In general, only noncitizens who have permission to work from the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) can apply for a Social Security number. If you do not have permission to work but need a Social Security number for other purposes, see “Work eligibility” for further information.

The SS site has conflicting info to what has been stated here... it says that someone needs a work permit to be eligible for an SSN number.

Original Social Security Number for a Noncitizen Adult In general, only noncitizens who have permission to work from the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) can apply for a Social Security number. If you do not have permission to work but need a Social Security number for other purposes, see “Work eligibility” for further information.

FamilyGuy_SavingPrivateBrian_v2f_72_1161823205-000.jpg

Timeline
Hi JeremyR

You are right. I won't risk my passport.

My fiancee works in the same area so I thought she could take it and do the needful for me.

According to the SS site they merely look at the birth certificate & passport and then hand them back to you, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Filed: Timeline

SSA does assign non work authorized SSNs and card bears the legend, “NOT VALID FOR EMPLOYMENT,” but someone with K-1 status is pretty much ineligible.

The only valid nonwork reasons are:

-- Federal statute or regulation requires that the alien provide

his/her SSN to get the particular benefit or service to which he or

she has otherwise established entitlement;

-- State or local law requires the alien who is legally in the U.S. to

provide his/her SSN to get public assistance benefits to which the

alien has otherwise established entitlement and for which all other

requirements have been met.

Examples of valid non work reasons:

-- Receive Social Security benefits

-- Receive Medicaid

-- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)

-- Food Stamps

-- State/Local General Assistance Benefits

Needing an SSN for school aid or enrollment, tax purposes, private health insurance, banking, credit cards, loans or to be issued a state professional or driver’s license are NOT valid non work reasons for needing an SSN.

RM 00203.510 Alien without Work Authorization - Nonwork Need for an SSN:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203510

Timeline

SSA does assign non work authorized SSNs and card bears the legend, “NOT VALID FOR EMPLOYMENT,” but someone with K-1 status is pretty much ineligible.

The only valid nonwork reasons are:

-- Federal statute or regulation requires that the alien provide

his/her SSN to get the particular benefit or service to which he or

she has otherwise established entitlement;

-- State or local law requires the alien who is legally in the U.S. to

provide his/her SSN to get public assistance benefits to which the

alien has otherwise established entitlement and for which all other

requirements have been met.

Examples of valid non work reasons:

-- Receive Social Security benefits

-- Receive Medicaid

-- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)

-- Food Stamps

-- State/Local General Assistance Benefits

Needing an SSN for school aid or enrollment, tax purposes, private health insurance, banking, credit cards, loans or to be issued a state professional or driver’s license are NOT valid non work reasons for needing an SSN.

RM 00203.510 Alien without Work Authorization - Nonwork Need for an SSN:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203510

I wonder if needing an SSN to enroll in DEERS (Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System) for military dependents would be a valid reason?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.