donkasm

How to use English version of Ukrainian name on documents?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hi, My fiance, now wife is from Kiev, Ukraine. Her birth certificate and Ukranian ID use her given first name of Ganna. She wants to shorten it to Anna for all her US documents, but because we had to use Ganna for her K-1 VISA and therefore marriage license I am wondering how we can start using Anna instead of Ganna.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

I would assume she needs a legal name change done through the courts.

My brother has done this and it wasn't a huge deal but others might have better ideas.

I'm going to move this topic to somewhere it might receive better responses. ;)

timeline.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hi, My fiance, now wife is from Kiev, Ukraine. Her birth certificate and Ukranian ID use her given first name of Ganna. She wants to shorten it to Anna for all her US documents, but because we had to use Ganna for her K-1 VISA and therefore marriage license I am wondering how we can start using Anna instead of Ganna.

depends on how the name change after marriage works for your locale.... In MN, either party to the marriage can change any of there names... My wife changed the spelling of her first name, adopted her maiden as her middle and changed her last name to mine....

YMMV

Friend's wife from China uses a different name - never changed it as far as I know. You can put Anna in the "other names used" section of the forms - most have them.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

we were told that we could do a legal name change in the U.S., and then in Ukraine they'd change documents based on the U.S. version

i don't think it will be too difficult

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

In most states changing her first name "legally" is not a big deal. For most informal purposes you can use "Anna" or anything she else she likes, just do so. I mean, I know dozens of people that use their middle name as "first" name not to mention nicknames. My father was ALWAYS known as "Red" (guess what color hair he had?) and I doubt one in a thousand people who knew him could even tell you his "real" first name. If she prefers "Anna" just use it. For legal documents she would have to use her "legal" name but who cares? "Babe" was NOT George Herman Ruth's first name!

As one other person has mentioned, most documentation now asks "what other names have you used", even employment applications ask this, so just list the names. As I am sure you are aware, most Russian/Ukrainian names have a "long" and "short" form. My wife uses the short form of her name for everything except legal documents, I think maybe 3 people know what her "real name" is. One caveat....she was listed on my insurance with her "real name" and when the first claim came from the doctor it used her "short name". It caused a bit of confusion but nothing that couldn't be handled with a brief phone call. We also had the same problem with my step-son, so you may want to let your insurance know what name she will use. Basically as long as there is no intent to defraud, there is no problem.

Gary

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I had another thought. Random thoughts spin in my head and sometimes pop out unexpectedly!

Ukrainian and Russian names must be transliterated, since they use a different alphabet, and the Ukrainians are good at changing things around themselves. For example, my step-son has the Russian name "Pavel" which the Ukrainians spell as "Pavlo" and his short name is "Pasha" which is what everyone knows him as. Incidently, Pavel and Pavlo are the Russian and Ukrainian versions of "Paul". So he could just as easily say his name is "Paul" and not be "changing" anything.

I am not familiar with the name "Ganna" but suspect her "short name" is Anna anyway.

Anyway, Welcome...Anna!

Gary

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Thanks to all of you for your responses. They have helped guide us in the right direction and eased our concerns. We will check locally for the name change process but may just do as many of you have stated and use Anna as much as we can. thanks again!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.