3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi All,

I've been searching for an answer to this question for a while, still with no solid answer. This is for those of you who entered the US on a K3...

I tried to activate my K3 at the US border but was turned down because I wasn't actually "moving" at that time. I was allowed into the US but not for my K3 to be activated. Does anyone know if that is correct, you have to be moving at the time to have it activated? It is a multiple entry visa so I'm not sure why it would matter.

The reason for this is that I need to be able to work in Canada for a little while longer (husband is in school), but we would like to start the EAD process now. I am the only one working so I can't move down there right away and neither of us work for three months while we wait for my EAD.

2003 Met my husband while going to school in U.S.

2005 Moved back to Canada :(

2005-2007 Many visits back to the U.S.

July 20, 2007 Married!

July 27, 2007 Sent off I-130 package

August 6, 2007 Confirmation service center received package via online tracking

September 6, 2007 NOA-1 Receipt date

September 10, 2007 Received NOA-1 in mail

Case pending at CSC

March 6, 2008 Touch

March 7, 2008 Touch

March 9, 2008 Touch

March 11, 2008 1-130 Approved

September 11, 2007 Sent off I-129f package

September 17, 2007 Confirmation service center received package

September 19, 2007 NOA-1 Receipt date

September 25, 2007 Received NOA-1 in mail

Case pending at CSC

March 6, 2008 Touch

March 7, 2008 Touch.

March 9, 2008 Touch

March 11, 2008 1-129f Approved

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Hi All,

I've been searching for an answer to this question for a while, still with no solid answer. This is for those of you who entered the US on a K3...

I tried to activate my K3 at the US border but was turned down because I wasn't actually "moving" at that time. I was allowed into the US but not for my K3 to be activated. Does anyone know if that is correct, you have to be moving at the time to have it activated? It is a multiple entry visa so I'm not sure why it would matter.

The reason for this is that I need to be able to work in Canada for a little while longer (husband is in school), but we would like to start the EAD process now. I am the only one working so I can't move down there right away and neither of us work for three months while we wait for my EAD.

This would have been because you told them you weren't immigrating yet. Generally, you don't have an option about whether to "activate" or initially use the K3 visa but maybe procedures vary in a border town. I would suggest simply pursuing the CR1 visa by pushing the I-130 through NVC. Then you may never use the K3 or even if you do, I'd rather pay $400 than $1010. CR1 enters as a permanent resident with full work privileges and a green card in the mail shortly.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.