nunyab

If you had known then what you know now??

373 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I think having some support is important. Other friends to help you out when you might be working (family too, if you have them around). Finding them hobbies or friends to hook up with quickly, while waiting to find a job some things to do at home so he's not bored outta his bean, having calling cards on hand so he can call home, a nice basket of new things for him (toiletries, towels, flipflops, some new duds, his own keys, maybe his own mug/cup, etc) Things that make him feel its his home too and that he his "own" things. And I can't even begin to tell you how awesome the Magic Jack is...we love it! Now that my MIL is here its a blessing too!!

Other things to get ready for is finding places that you can get foods he will like, scope areas out to purchase things to cook or to eat out whichever you have the income for. Things that will make him feel at home.

I'm sure all will be wonderful Rajaa! (F) I didn't run into any issues with the underwear as you mentioned...only in Jordan! LOL They will not put underwear in the same laundry as the clothing but no one seperated men/women underwear out (that would make for a LONG day of washing!!!). :devil::D

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

ok..

own keys

own mug

own slippers

magic jack

cell phone (g-1)

I am going to clean out half the closet and put some things he would like here that will help in the NW..

i already cook Halal and looking for friends he can hang with.

yes i am stressed and excited... i can't imagine seperating the clothes i can barely stand seperating the colors and whites as it is!

Filed: Timeline
ok..

own keys

own mug

own slippers

magic jack

cell phone (g-1)

I am going to clean out half the closet and put some things he would like here that will help in the NW..

yes i am stressed and excited... i can't imagine seperating the clothes i can barely stand seperating the colors and whites as it is!

If it were me and that was the hubbys request...I'd tell him sure thing babe, place your underwear in "this basket" and wash ur own drawzzz!! :devil:

Filed: Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Congrats on your spouse's arrival

First thing I did for him was cook him food the way he enjoyed it . Nigerian style.

idocare

NSC, NOA1 September 26th,03

received NOA1 in mail Oct. 03,03

RFE - received in mail March 29th,04

RFE returned April 17th,04

RFE received April 21,04 at NSC online

NOA2 received April 29th,04 via online

NOA2 received May 03,04 in mail

NVC receives file May 6th,04

NVC sends file to Nigeria May 11th,04

Lagos receives our file, notified thru e-mail May 19th,04

Victor goes and picks up packet #3....May 20th,04

Sent request for earlier interview date via e-mail May 20th,04

May 27th, Lagos won't change date.

August 16th, 2004 fly to Nigeria for Victors interview

August 19th, 2004 Interview date, visa approved.

August 25th, 2004 Victor picks up passport with visa stamp.

August 26th, 2004 fly back to USA

September 18th, 2004 Victor arrives in USA, Lord willing.

October 9th, 2004, we become husband and wife

October 25th, 2004 I learn that I'm pregnant.

Feburary 25th, 2005 AOS Appointment

( went to appt. and requested a reschedule)

June 7th, 05 gave birth to a boy child.

July 5th, 05 Victor packs he suitcase and leaves for good.

July 2005 2nd AOS appointment

( went and requested a reschedule )

August 2005- I file for divorce. and withdraw immigration paperwork.

Washington State/ Nigeria

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I found a few flea markets that he could go to so he could haggle to his heart's content. Big help since he missed bargaining all the time with the peeps in Cairo.

I got him a T-pass which allowed him unlimited number of trips on the bus and subway along with a map. That helped him and within 3 days he was navigating the subway system better than me and I've lived here all my life! It made him not feel trapped you know?

We went to three mosques in the beginning so he could find the one he liked the best. That helped immensely as well.

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Timeline
ok..

own keys

own mug

own slippers

magic jack

cell phone (g-1)

If it were me and that was the hubbys request...I'd tell him sure thing babe, place your underwear in "this basket" and wash ur own drawzzz!! :devil:

:yes:

and mine knows i would mean it too. :devil:

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Prepare him now for how it REALLY is here in the United States....People can be cruel especially to Muslims and it may take alot of time for him to find a good job.....Make him feel needed and reassure him things will always get better....Keep in touch with his family and friends as much as possible....Get arab channels for him to watch or introduce him to youtube...He can watch all his arab shows there for free.....He will get arabic speaking crazy if he doesnt speak/hear it everyday!LOL Independence is a BIG issue with Arab men....Great advice about busses, cars, maps, etc....Start him with all the basic information he needs: address, phone numbers, emergency contacts, etc.....Make sure you get him a driver's education book to read our road rules, this will help him when he can get a DL here......Show him your local Mosque and be sure you make time in your schedule so that he can attend on Fridays... As time goes you will get to know him much better.....with his new adjustment there will always be some spats....just remember to put yourself in his shoes first ....calm down...and then deal with the issue at hand....he doesnt realize how much the move will actually effect him, but it Will get easier....BE SURE to show him how to establish credit and keep it good...this is very important.

I could go on and on as Im sure we all could, each man is different but they are also very much alike !

January 16, 2013 - I-129F Petition Sent USPS
January 22, 2013 - Petition Delivery Confirmed
January 25, 2013 - NOA1 Email and Text Confirmation
January 30, 2013 - "Touched" Alien Number Generated
January 31, 2013 - NOA1 Letter Received via "snail mail"
June 21, 2013 - Transferred from Vermont

July 6, 2013 - Actual Approval but error did not generate our NOA2

July 17, 2013 - Service Request via USCIS (6 months)

July 22, 2013 - Approval affirmed via USCIS.gov new NOA2 generated

August 2013 - NVC Case # Generated

August 28, 2013 - Packet 3 received from Cairo Embassy

September 2013 - Medical Complete

October 22, 2013 - Packet returned complete to Embassy via DHL

February 2014 - Interview letter received

March 24, 2014- Interview - EGYPT

April 4 & 7, 2014 - Case Touched Twice - Requested Expedite due to Beneficiary's Mothers Passing (4/1/14)

April 7, 2014 - Passport sent to Embassy via DHL

April 14, 2014 - VISA Received

April 18, 2014 - Flight to USA

July 11, 2014 - MARRIED!!!!

August ,2015 - AOS finally filed ;-)

August ,2015 - RFE

September 2015 - Returned RFE information

November ,2015 - EAD Approved

November ,2015 - EAD Received

December ,2015- AOS Approved

December ,2015- 2 year Green Card Received

November 13, 2016 my little brother passed away :-(

December ,2017 Lift conditions InshaAllah

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Food was a big issue for us. My husband missed the cooking from his country. In time he has discovered new favorites.

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

food was and is still a major issue in our household. If yours has issues with food at all...let him know that you are ready to help make whatever kind of food he would like and you could even take him to the grocery store so he can help pick out the ingredients.

I had mine have his mom and sisters write down alllllllllll the recipes they could think of that he liked. I made sure to tell him to get the recipes for his most favorite dishes so we could prepare them like his mama did. That recipe book came in really handy many times since nobody cooks like mama! lol.... Also, since the recipes were in arabic, it gave us something we would do together. he would translate and I'd prepare. sometimes he'd have to show me coz he didn't know the english word for stuff. it was very interesting but created very fond moments.

OHHH and another thing...I wish i would have waited a week or so before introducing him to my family. I should have let him become a little bit more comfortable in our home and then slowly invited my family a couple at a time to the house to meet him in his own territory. It would have helped him feel more relaxed. He also wouldn't have told my mother that her house needed to be organized....

Edited by amal

Visited Jordan-December 2004

Interview-December 2005

Visa approved-December 2005, 1 week later after supplying "more information"

Arrived U.S.A.-December 2005

Removed Conditions-September 2008

Divorced in December 2013

lovingmemory.jpgInlovingmemory-2.gifmybabygirl-1-1.jpghenna_rose.jpg37320lovesaved-1.jpg

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

Since you are Muslim do you have friends that have hubby's that he could hang out with? I know that most of my friends husbands are too busy with work, etc. to hang out PERIOD, and since we are older and past our child rearing age that most of the men his age have been here forever and can't even remember being new.

Helping him fine a friend who speaks arabic and enjoys hanging out and can introduce him to others is probably the biggest thing I wish I could have done differently for my hubby. Most of the Egyptians in my community are pals with my ex (who is still here) so that made things awkward... (sure enough he got invited to coffee and my ex was at his table!) :rolleyes: But it all went well so now he has a coffee shop to go to where arabs hang out.

However he has almost given up talking to people he meets because so many take his number and say they will call and never do. Wish you weren't 3 hours up the I-5 or your hubby could hang with mine! ;)

We met a really nice Egyptian man at the Old Country Buffet in Bellevue (he's the manager), but alas too far away... :(

If your husband is religious a mosque with arabs (as opposed to an Indo-Paki or Somali) mosque is a good place to start. But that has problems associated with it too these days...

K

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I know that mine likes to hand wash alot of his clothes. Says the wash machine don't do a good enough job. and he hates the sound of the dryer.

07/21/11 filed AOS off tourist visa

07/28/11 USCIS cashed check

07/30/11 Recieved NOA1 and Biometrics letter

08/24/2011 Biometrics

08/25/2011 RFE sent to us for some info we've already sent in

08/30/2011 sent in the rest of info USCIS asked for

09/13/2011 went to congressman's office to sign papers for expedite of work permit, due to financial hardship

09/15/2011 Work permit expedite approved!! He can finally find a job!

09/24/2011 work permit arrives

09/26/2011 Apply for social security number!

09/30/2011 Letter is sent for interview

11/07/2011 INTERVIEW!!!

Its 2012 and still no approval! Still waiting

01/27/2012 Letter sent stating that file was sent on for more review :(

9iad5hjppr.png

Timeline

How's his English?

If its not up to par you might want to insist he take some ESL classes. I wish that I had made my husband take some during the time before he started working. He struggled so much and lost a lot of his independence the first year because of it. He couldn't go anywhere without someone to translate, make phone calls, etc.

0nboVVg.jpg0nbom6.png

moAOm6.png

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline
I know that mine likes to hand wash alot of his clothes. Says the wash machine don't do a good enough job. and he hates the sound of the dryer.

For my husband its the dishes.. doesn't want to use the dishwasher... would rather do them by hand... (says he's bored and has to have something to do!)

What I can't figure out is why he washes dishes in lukewarm water and a sponge that's been dipped in soapy COLD water... but wants me to boil his underwear!!! Hellooooooooooooooooooooo we don't EAT on the undies.. we do on the dishes! Maybe it comes from writing backwards... hehehehehehehe

Timeline
What I can't figure out is why he washes dishes in lukewarm water and a sponge that's been dipped in soapy COLD water... but wants me to boil his underwear!!! Hellooooooooooooooooooooo we don't EAT on the undies.. we do on the dishes! Maybe it comes from writing backwards... hehehehehehehe

That reminded me of how my husband used to wash his dishes with Tide in Morocco. Tee hee.

Do Egyptians do the same thing?

0nboVVg.jpg0nbom6.png

moAOm6.png

Timeline

lol...love the undeerwear versus disheses thing.

well i have some wonderful friends mashallah that attend masjiid here and have been to two of them and prefer (of course) the one further away. I am trying to organize some "dinners" with other couples and I think eventually he'll find some he will naturally click with.

Amal the new cook book i am sure will help but i totally dig the idea of having his mother write everything down i've always been a "traditions" kind of girl when it comes to "family recipes"

My husband says i shouldn't worry about him that he can live "anywhere" says the man that only lived in morocco and just moved to spain and hates that they only can speak one language...lol I just listen to what he says about life there and tell him it's worse here for him and he always says "but you're there" sure that will last how long??? Anyway, I started a list and am writting things down so when he gets ready to board his plane i can run around and just focus on my list.

i am worried about the budgeting thing but heck i'll roll with the punches.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.