Laura+Tom

The 2009 United Kingdom Interview Thread!

3,097 posts in this topic

January 2009 Graduates of the US Embassy, London
Jason&Sarah, Hannah+Vito, Mrssmith, ShannonNick, adrianandlinsay, Marmite Lovers!

February 2009 Graduates of the US Embassy, London
Rob&Dawn, Zoe and Hal, Terri and Seb, Talyss, TeeKol

March 2009 Graduates of the US Embassy, London
Stinky Monkey, skparker, Laurence+Lauren, pothergavel, paumanda, texpat cymru, obbynox, jhonscotland, Caminic, Furious Biscuit, ahlpo, jojo_gee

April 2009 Graduates of the US Embassy, London
DairyFarmer, skeez&titanic, SwanTiger, miss g, LondonLad, niniel71, mr and mrs, Stinkerpotsam, Marty J, Helen&Dougie, KAT&Allie, KnightAndMagpie, paul., Kirsten UK, Colinjess, Alixhilary, prima and jay

May 2009 Graduates of the US Embassy, London
Graziumphry, emma77, Monkey Juice, Gemmie, mrs_sdp, H&V, RBAL_TN, laura819, JM&Vid, Brookeluvsadam, Bob and Patricia, MARM

June 2009 Graduates of the US Embassy, London
JimandChristy, krystiandjon, Nik+Heather, John and Camie, Ellie-and-David, aoifee, John & Mary, karenandtrev, emma88

July 2009 Interviews
7th July 2009.......JerrysGirlAnne.............DCF - APPROVED PENDING ADDITIONAL DOCUMENTATION
7th July 2009.......WHITE COW.................K-1 - APPROVED PENDING ADDITIONAL DOCUMENTATION
9th July 2009......Julie Ivy........................K-1520715s54t2dwed4.gif
14th July 2009....aidy............................CR-1520715s54t2dwed4.gif
16th July 2009....Jenn and Nick................K-1520715s54t2dwed4.gif
21st July 2009....app-girl.........................K-1 - APPROVED PENDING MEDICAL RESULTS
23rd July 2009....Yvie and Brett..............DCF - APPROVED PENDING ADDITIONAL DOCUMENTATION
29th July 2009....morretti.......................DCF520715s54t2dwed4.gif
31st July 2009....Gary_UK........................K-1
31st July 2009....yorkster.........................K-1

August 2009 Interviews
4th August 2009......imaisha..................CR-1
11th August 2009....Sherri and Matt........K-1
20th August 2009....sammills89..............K-1

Still waiting for approval 1404420hsc4u0qwkn.gif
stevi1123.........16th October 2008 - Approved pending additional documentation
Dave and Jess..10th March 2009 ?
The Dip Sticks..25th March 2009 ?
PB&JAM............22nd May 2009 - Denied, to file waiver
grapeeyes.........30th June 2009 ?

520715s54t2dwed4.gif= APPROVED
Updates/New entries/Changes highlighted in blue - will go to normal color in the next update.
Please let us know if you have an Interview Date to add to the list, updated information or corrections.

Visa Journey completed, but we are still here to provide support! :)

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Just had a brain fart moment reading back on some of the earlier posts.

on my I-134. My fiancee' hasn't ticked either of the boxes saying "intend" or "do not intend to make specific contributions".

but in the comments box put..

"N/A (K1 Visa Process for permanent residence)"

Can I change this to say some thing similar to what julie and ivy said e.g. "will support as required as Wife?"

Or would that be viewed as tampering with the application form ?

I'm kicking myself that I didn't see this earlier....

If anyone can help I would be very VERY grateful.

Just had a brain fart moment reading back on some of the earlier posts.

on my I-134. My fiancee' hasn't ticked either of the boxes saying "intend" or "do not intend to make specific contributions".

Can I change this to say some thing similar to what julie and ivy said e.g. "will support as required as Wife?"

Or would that be viewed as tampering with the application form ?

I'm kicking myself that I didn't see this earlier....

If anyone can help I would be very VERY grateful.

London likes it ticked and to say something similar as you mentioned above. Fill it in yourself and add the above.

Good luck Gary - it's my husbands Birthday that day and we are sending you good vibes.

K1

PLEASE SEE MY TIMELINE FOR K1 INFORMATION

AOS complete!

08/21/2009 - AOS package sent

08/28/2009 - NOA 1 for AOS, EAD, AP

08/31/2009 - Cheque cashed

09/05/2009 - Biometrics notice received

09/23/2009 - Biometrics Appointment

09/23/2009 - I-485 Transferred to CSC

10/02/2009 - EAD Approved (card production) & AP approved!

10/11/2009 - EAD Card received

10/20/2009 - AOS approved, GC card production ordered! (53 days in total)

10/26/2009 - Green Card received - nearly 11 months to the day of our K1 NOA 1!

11/25/2009 - Started my new job!

02/26/2010 - Passed my driving test :-p

07/20/2011 - Eligible to remove conditions

2012 - Going for citizenship

09/20/2011 - Removal of conditions submitted to VSC....here we go...again!

It's been a quick and relatively painless journey thanks to tireless research, dumb luck and this community :)

DONE with USCIS for a while :)

mnb0ir.png

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Scotland
Timeline
Andrew's medical went well. Just waiting for the embassy to recieve medical info and send visa.

Time to start looking for plane ticket. :dance:

Hey congrats on the interview and medical!

We've been busy getting Pat settled in and planning our wedding trip so haven't been on VJ much recently. Congrats to ALL the approvals that have happened in our absence.

Bob and Pat

Congrats to everyone ... and good luck to those still waiting!!

I'm enjoying married life in Iowa, but missing my family in Scotland! Oh well, I'll just need to get on with those Adjustment of Status forms to keep my mind off things!!

Take care all ...

Moira x

K-1

All information is in my timeline ....

AOS

08.22.09 ~~~ Posted AOS docs to Chicago

08.28.09 ~~~ Notice Date

08.31.09 ~~~ Received 3 x NOA's in the mail

09.01.09 ~~~ Date changed on status tracker - a "touch" woot ....

09.04.09 ~~~ Appointment notice arrived for Biometrics

09.22.09 ~~~ Biometrics

09.22.09 ~~~ A wee touch to AOS and EAD

09.23.09 ~~~ Another touch to both - email re transfer to Calfornia

10.05.09 ~~~ Emails to say both EAD and AP are approved!

10.06.09 ~~~ Touches to both EAD and AP

10.07.09 ~~~ Touch to EAD

10.08.09 ~~~ Touch and email advising card production for EAD

10.13.09 ~~~ EAD received!

10.15.09 ~~~ Applied for SS Number .....

10.20.09 ~~~ Email saying AOS approved and card being produced!!

10.24.09 ~~~ Green card received!

Mine said exactly that because it's what the VJ example says. It was passed without question.

There have been certain interviewers that seem to not like that and want it ticked.

I think you might could tick the box, but it would be hard to change the words without it looking altered. At this point, just go with what you have and hope you get the person(s) who think that's fine. If they don't like it, you'll have to join the "pending additional documents" people. You can also plan a debate stategy..."I'm not going to get a specific allowance. I'm going to be her husband"...something like that. I know another guy who ran up against that person and talked his way into approval. I think you have a good chance of it being fine.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

Mine said exactly that because it's what the VJ example says. It was passed without question.

There have been certain interviewers that seem to not like that and want it ticked.

I think you might could tick the box, but it would be hard to change the words without it looking altered. At this point, just go with what you have and hope you get the person(s) who think that's fine. If they don't like it, you'll have to join the "pending additional documents" people. You can also plan a debate stategy..."I'm not going to get a specific allowance. I'm going to be her husband"...something like that. I know another guy who ran up against that person and talked his way into approval. I think you have a good chance of it being fine.

Thank you Ellie & Nich-Nick for your input. :thumbs:

The more I stare at this I-134 my gut instinct is to go with as is. I know the government (including local government here) hate

the idea of having paperwork altered in any way unless it is totally re-submitted. At this late stage I dare not touch the papers and pray

that I get a sensible interviewer. The thought of getting the " congratulations your approved... but" line makes me cringe inside, It also makes

me wonder how long a delay in obtaining the visa would occur if they want additional information. I guess I should just cross that bridge when I

come to it and stay positive.

Reading the forums and knowing so much more about the interview and what to expect has been a big help with my approach to this stressful

peak of this 7 months or so process. And having to go through a process of "forceful relaxation" when my neck muscles start to tighten and telling

myself everything will be allright is becoming a mantra.

22 Hrs 52 mins to interview. ;)

Gary--Just a random idea to put in your bag of tricks to try to salvage approval, should it be questioned. The goal is to convince the officer so maybe this would help. You could get your fiance to write something and email to you that might could add a little to the discussion if you get the person who wants the box ticked. She could sign and scan her letter. Maybe just an email sent to you. Not a perfect thing, but easy enough to do on the off-chance it pushes their understanding over to the positive side. You could have it to pull out should they pause and discuss that item. Something like this--

Dear Sir--it has come to my attention at this late date that US Embassy London sometimes questions [form, line#]. Because I have just been told this, it would be impossible for me to get another form to London before my fiance's interview. I was told by my advisor
(sounds like maybe a lawyer)
to fill it out exactly as I did. It was my understanding that the form is also used for many non-family sponsors who may be giving a specific monthly allowance or providing an apartment for the beneficiary. Because Gary LastName will be my husband, I will be providing for any need he has, and did not think the wording "specific contribution" applied to a spousal situation. Please understand that I will be giving him unlimited monetary support as my husband.

The worse that could happen is they say No, which is what you've got anyway if they question it. But it could be helpful enough to have them give you a thumbs up. :thumbs: I hope you get the friendly young American guy. He'll be okay with the way yours is filled out.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Timeline
Gary--Just a random idea to put in your bag of tricks to try to salvage approval, should it be questioned. The goal is to convince the officer so maybe this would help. You could get your fiance to write something and email to you that might could add a little to the discussion if you get the person who wants the box ticked. She could sign and scan her letter. Maybe just an email sent to you. Not a perfect thing, but easy enough to do on the off-chance it pushes their understanding over to the positive side. You could have it to pull out should they pause and discuss that item. Something like this--

Dear Sir--it has come to my attention at this late date that US Embassy London sometimes questions [form, line#]. Because I have just been told this, it would be impossible for me to get another form to London before my fiance's interview. I was told by my advisor
(sounds like maybe a lawyer)
to fill it out exactly as I did. It was my understanding that the form is also used for many non-family sponsors who may be giving a specific monthly allowance or providing an apartment for the beneficiary. Because Gary LastName will be my husband, I will be providing for any need he has, and did not think the wording "specific contribution" applied to a spousal situation. Please understand that I will be giving him unlimited monetary support as my husband.

The worse that could happen is they say No, which is what you've got anyway if they question it. But it could be helpful enough to have them give you a thumbs up. :thumbs: I hope you get the friendly young American guy. He'll be okay with the way yours is filled out.

Nich-Nick that's an awesome idea! during the few short moments through today at work (it's been very hectic! ) I was thinking about verbally saying something similar but with the signed letter from Danielle may tip the scales in our favor if they are wobbling on the 50/50.

I have "word" fired up as I write this and will email it to her to sign, scan and send back to me.

I will update the thread as and when. :)

Thank you ! :thumbs:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Hi,

Does anyone know if it is possible to get a medical around the same time as the interview? The only reason I ask is that I will have to fly from Belfast to London for both and would love to keep it to one trip (I got laid off recently and money is tight....Boo hoo!)

I do have someone I can stay with in London for a couple of days if necessary.

I thought you had to have your medical results available to the embassy at the time of the interview however I saw on Marms post that you can have your interview approved while the medical results are pending.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Edited by Emily and Gareth

K-1 Visa Timeline

{April 3 2009 }-- Mailed packet to CSC via Priority Mail

{April 6 2009 }-- Received at CSC

{April 7 2009 }-- Cheque cashed

{April 8 2009 }-- NOA1 issued

{April 12 2009 }-- NOA1 Received

{July 15 2009 }-- Touch!

{July 15 2009 }-- Touch was the NOA2!

{July 28 2009 }-- NVC Received Case

{Aug 10 2009 }-- Packet 3 sent

{Sep 24 2009 }-- Called Department of State to check if Packet 3 was received in London - It was

{Sep 29 2009 }-- Called Department of State again to see if appointment date was Issued...it was!

{Oct 12 2009 }-- Going to have Medical in London

{Oct 16 2009 }-- Interview in London - Asked for a Police Clearance Certificate from Australia

{Oct 23 2009 }-- Sent away for Police clearance

{Nov 20 2009 }-- Received Police Clearance certificate

{Nov 24 2009 }-- Embassy Courier Collected Police Clearance and Passport

{Nov 30 2009 }-- Passport and Police Clearance qualified by Embassy

{Dec 8 2009 }-- Visa Issued

{Dec 10 2009 }-- Visa received in Belfast!

{Dec 14 2009 }-- Went through Immigration in Dublin and arrived in Indiana!

{Dec 21 2009 }-- Married 1000 Feet up in the air at the Stratosphere hotel in Las Vegas

AOS Timeline

{Apr 1 2010 }-- Sent AOS, EAD and AP package

{Apr 12 2010 }-- NOA for AOS, EAD and AP

{May 12 2010 }-- Biometrics Appointment

{June 9 2010 }-- Received Email that EAD card had been ordered

{June 9 2010 }-- Received Email that AP had been approved

Hi,

Does anyone know if it is possible to get a medical around the same time as the interview? The only reason I ask is that I will have to fly from Belfast to London for both and would love to keep it to one trip (I got laid off recently and money is tight....Boo hoo!)

I do have someone I can stay with in London for a couple of days if necessary.

I thought you had to have your medical results available to the embassy at the time of the interview however I saw on Marms post that you can have your interview approved while the medical results are pending.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Hello!

Yes, people have successfully had their medical done one the same day as their interview. It is only a matter of 3-4 working days' delay (according to current experiences) until you receive your visa in hand--no big deal. Of course you should have your medical scheduled around the same time as the interview to save yourself a second trip and money. Call Knightsbridge and make an appointment if you know your interview date :)

Out of curiosity, how long did it take all of you to get your interview date once you submitted your checklist? Please advise.

Thanks,

Kam

It took us 14 days to get an interview date (we called DOS once a week after sending in packet 3 and on day 14 since submitting packet 3, DOS told us we have an interview date, and we received packet 4/interview letter in the post 2 days after being informed that we got a date).

Filed: Timeline
Question: When i started this process i sent a check to us dept of homeland security for 455.00 is this statement talking about this money or do i need to pay this additional amount of 400?

The fee for an immigrant visa is $355.00 per person plus a security enhancement surcharge of $45.00, totaling $400.00 per person. If this fee has not already been paid to the National Visa Centre in the United States, you will be required to pay $400.00

Where did you find that? It sounds like what you've found is about the IR/CR-1 visa- we pay $400 to NVC for the immigrant visa.

The $455 you payed at the beginning of the process is just the fee for USCIS to process your petition.

You'll have to pay $131 at the interview for your K-1 visa, plus the courier fee which is around 14 pounds.

I recieved the same info as contained within the first quoted post. I am a k1 applicant, in my appointment letter, I was given this link

http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new/visa/forms/IV018.pdf

which mentions the $400 fee.

My appointment is tomorrow, so I will take $431, so I am easily able to pay either the $400 or the $131 fee, guess which one I would prefer to pay ? LOL

GL to the others who will be at the embassy tomorrow as well, I see I will not be the only one.

Hanshi--A K1 visa is a NON-immigrant visa, so the fees etc mentioned for the immigrant visa do no apply to you. People who are applying for IR1/CR1 visas (immigrant visas) have all of their permanent resident papers processed by the National Visa Center in the US and pay the fee to them before they interview. When they enter the US, they will be issued a green card, social security card, and can work immediately.

K1s, K3s are only getting a visa to enter the US and the NVC does little with your case but assign an LND case number and pass the file on to London. You will pay $131 for the visa. When you get to the US, you will marry then pay $1010 and file more papers to get your green card.

K1 is your only choice being a fiance. K3s (married) could get the IR1 or CR1 instead. It used to take a lot longer so people opted for the K3 to be reunited in the US with their spouse faster. The time difference now isn't too much different so many are going back to the IR1/CR1s because it's cheaper, and they don't have to file for AOS or wait to work.

Here's a preview of the paperwork you will file (ideally within 90 days of entering the US) and pay $1010 for.

I-485 (Adjustment of Status)

Photographs (2) of immigrant (passport type)

Photocopy of birth certificate of immigrant with translaton

Photocopy of passport biographical page and K1 visa page

Form G-325A Biographic Information Sheet (immigrant)

Form I-864 Affidavit of Support (by USC) with photocopies of supporting documents: This varies by each applicant so here's generic suggestions

---Employment letter

---3 tax returns including copies of W2s (Photocopy)

---six recent pay stubs (Photocopy)

(If needed)Form I-864 Affidavit of Support (by Co-sponsor) with photocopies of supporting documents:

---Proof of co-sponsors citizenship/status, ie US birth ceritificate, bio page of passport, naturalization papers, or LPR status

---Employment letter

Photocopy of I-797 Notice of Action, I-129 Petition Approval Notice from USCIS (That's your NOA2)

Certified copy of Marriage Certificate

Photocopy of Form I-94 Arrival/Departure record (card from the plane, may be stapled in passport)

Form I-693 with the immunization section filled out by a US Civil Surgeon, signed and sealed by him. Read the instructions for the form.

or DS-3025 from UK medical if all shots were completed at Knightsbridge

I-765 (Employment Authorization)

Photocopy of Form I-94 Arrival/Departure record

I-131 (Advance Parole travel document)

Statement of circumstances that warrant issuance of advance parole

And a check for $1010 made out to the Department of Homeland Security

That's 3 separate applications with supporting evidence all mailed together in one envelope with one check. They will get processed in different places, so that's why the duplication of evidence. You don't have to do all three, but the second two are free if sent with the AOS and will get you authorized to work or travel sooner than waiting for the green card to arrive in most cases. Green card could take 6 months. Work and travel 60-90 days.

Do not work until the I-765 is approved and you have the EAD card

Do not leave the US until the I-131 is approved (K1s) and you get the travel documents or you will not be allowed back in.

Sorry to hijack the interview thread with AOS stuff, but most are clueless to the expense and more paperwork shortly after they marry. I thought a little dose of reality and a heads up might make you realize there's lots more to do and the interview isn't the end of stress.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Filed: Timeline

Had my interview today, everything went smoothly. The total interview lasted maybe 3 mins.

Nick Nick,

Ty for the time that went into your post. You was 100% correct, that the K1 cost $131. However as the letter the embassy sent me had the link to the page highlighting the $400 fee, I did take enough, 'just in case'.

I would like to say a huge TY to all VJ posters, for helping us get to this point in the process. We may not be anywhere near ttoal completion, but we would not have got this far without all of you !

For any lurkers out there, all the info you need is contained within this site, soemtimes it just takes a lil digging.

GL to all those who are there today, tomorrow and everyday forth !!

Hanshi--A K1 visa is a NON-immigrant visa, so the fees etc mentioned for the immigrant visa do no apply to you. People who are applying for IR1/CR1 visas (immigrant visas) have all of their permanent resident papers processed by the National Visa Center in the US and pay the fee to them before they interview. When they enter the US, they will be issued a green card, social security card, and can work immediately.

K1s, K3s are only getting a visa to enter the US and the NVC does little with your case but assign an LND case number and pass the file on to London. You will pay $131 for the visa. When you get to the US, you will marry then pay $1010 and file more papers to get your green card.

K1 is your only choice being a fiance. K3s (married) could get the IR1 or CR1 instead. It used to take a lot longer so people opted for the K3 to be reunited in the US with their spouse faster. The time difference now isn't too much different so many are going back to the IR1/CR1s because it's cheaper, and they don't have to file for AOS or wait to work.

Here's a preview of the paperwork you will file (ideally within 90 days of entering the US) and pay $1010 for.

I-485 (Adjustment of Status)

Photocopy of birth certificate of immigrant with translaton

Form G-325A Biographic Information Sheet (immigrant)

Form I-864 Affidavit of Support (by USC) with photocopies of supporting documents: This varies by each applicant so here's generic suggestions

---Employment letter

(If needed)Form I-864 Affidavit of Support (by Co-sponsor) with photocopies of supporting documents:

---Proof of co-sponsors citizenship/status, ie US birth ceritificate, bio page of passport, naturalization papers, or LPR status

---Employment letter

Photocopy of I-797 Notice of Action, I-129 Petition Approval Notice from USCIS (That's your NOA2)

Certified copy of Marriage Certificate

Photocopy of Form I-94 Arrival/Departure record (card from the plane, may be stapled in passport)

Form I-693 with the immunization section filled out by a US Civil Surgeon, signed and sealed by him. Read the instructions for the form.

or DS-3025 from UK medical if all shots were completed at Knightsbridge

I-765 (Employment Authorization)

I-131 (Advance Parole travel document)

Statement of circumstances that warrant issuance of advance parole

And a check for $1010 made out to the Department of Homeland Security

That's 3 separate applications with supporting evidence all mailed together in one envelope with one check. They will get processed in different places, so that's why the duplication of evidence. You don't have to do all three, but the second two are free if sent with the AOS and will get you authorized to work or travel sooner than waiting for the green card to arrive in most cases. Green card could take 6 months. Work and travel 60-90 days.

Do not work until the I-765 is approved and you have the EAD card

Do not leave the US until the I-131 is approved (K1s) and you get the travel documents or you will not be allowed back in.

Sorry to hijack the interview thread with AOS stuff, but most are clueless to the expense and more paperwork shortly after they marry. I thought a little dose of reality and a heads up might make you realize there's lots more to do and the interview isn't the end of stress.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.