Mrs Rhoades

For people who when with k3 Visa, did you regret it???

5 posts in this topic

April will be 2 year we are married. My husband don't mind paying extra for k3, I on the other hand was wondering if we are making a mistake. I am seeing most people saying that k3 is a longer more expencive process when you arrive in the US. I just want some advice from persons who have gone through this and what would be their best advice. Thank you.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
April will be 2 year we are married. My husband don't mind paying extra for k3, I on the other hand was wondering if we are making a mistake. I am seeing most people saying that k3 is a longer more expencive process when you arrive in the US. I just want some advice from persons who have gone through this and what would be their best advice. Thank you.

K-3 is not necessarily longer... but it is possibly $500-$600 more expensive...

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

For the most part CR1/IR1 visas are way better than K3s because there is no need to apply for AOS and you get your green card a few weeks after you enter the US, which means you can start working and get a driver's license as soon as that happens. With K3 visas you would have to wait at least 3-6 months to get your green card.

If you think you can wait just a bit longer and get your CR1 visa instead, then by all means do it. If not, then the K3 visa is they way to go.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

My DIL arrived last week on a K-3. It is much more complicated (but doable) once you get to the US. If the I-130 has made it to the NVC, I would recommend the immigrant visa. The kids will avoid removing conditions, but have the whole EAD, AOS process to go through. Everyone's situation is different.

Thai Mom

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

You can also ask this question in the Adjustment of Status forum since most people who came to the US with a K3 visa will be there going through AOS. The main hassle with K3 visas has nothing to do with getting a visa at the embassy, it all gets expensive and time consuming and in some cases complicated once they have to file for AOS.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.