shanewarner

I-134 Question, regarding self-employment

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi all,

I have a question regarding the I-134 affidavit of support and being self-employed.

Before my question, here's a quick run down of my possible situation in the next month or two:

- We just got NOA2 the other day so the packet paperwork should be coming in several weeks.

- I work as an independent contractor, but do so through a recruiting agency whom I've been with for over a year.

- The company I am working for through the recruiter has approached me, asking me to bill them directly outside of the recruiter since my contract is up with them, which I have agreed to. This would make me "self-employed", however this is still pending and don't have a concrete date as to when this is taking effect.

My question is this, if the paperwork for I-134 comes in after I have made this move to being "self-employed" and am no longer with the recruiting agency and am billing the company directly on my own, will this complicate things as far as not having a 1099 yet or any real proof of having been with them for over a year?

Seems it would be much simpler to provide proof now being with the recruiter as I have records of pay stubs and income dating all the way back to the beginning.

Sorry if that doesn't make a lot of sense, its kind of a strange situation and I tried to explain as best as possible.

Thanks,

Shane

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Hi all,

I have a question regarding the I-134 affidavit of support and being self-employed.

Before my question, here's a quick run down of my possible situation in the next month or two:

- We just got NOA2 the other day so the packet paperwork should be coming in several weeks.

- I work as an independent contractor, but do so through a recruiting agency whom I've been with for over a year.

- The company I am working for through the recruiter has approached me, asking me to bill them directly outside of the recruiter since my contract is up with them, which I have agreed to. This would make me "self-employed", however this is still pending and don't have a concrete date as to when this is taking effect.

My question is this, if the paperwork for I-134 comes in after I have made this move to being "self-employed" and am no longer with the recruiting agency and am billing the company directly on my own, will this complicate things as far as not having a 1099 yet or any real proof of having been with them for over a year?

Seems it would be much simpler to provide proof now being with the recruiter as I have records of pay stubs and income dating all the way back to the beginning.

Sorry if that doesn't make a lot of sense, its kind of a strange situation and I tried to explain as best as possible.

Thanks,

Shane

If you are an independent contractor receiving a 1099 instead of a W2, you're already self employed. "Employees" get a W2. Self employed people show evidence of income using tax returns and 1099's. Sounds like your "change" is a distinction without a difference.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

I am self employed as well. The Embassy in Auckland recommended I supply them with my most recent 1099, including worksheets. They also suggested a letter from the company I work with regularly just stating that even though I am on a contract position, the job is continuous and what I stand to make with them as far as annual salary. I also included copy's of recent pay checks.

You may want to ask the Embassy in Sydney and/or check in the Regional Aussie thread here on VJ to be clear on what they will require of you.

good luck.

timeline.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline
Hi all,

Thanks,

Shane

If you are an independent contractor receiving a 1099 instead of a W2, you're already self employed. "Employees" get a W2. Self employed people show evidence of income using tax returns and 1099's. Sounds like your "change" is a distinction without a difference.

Actually I'm currently being W2'd by the recruiter, but am considered by the client company as contractor. When I start billing them directly I will be 1099'd.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Hi all,

Thanks,

Shane

Actually I'm currently being W2'd by the recruiter, but am considered by the client company as contractor. When I start billing them directly I will be 1099'd.

Ok. That's not what independent contractor means. "Contracted" worker, yes but employed. Anyway, yes, I'd just do the I-134 now to simplify things.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

• 5 months later...
Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'm not sure this ever got adequately answered. I am in a similar situation.

I was "employed" in 2008 and have a W2. But now in 2009 I am self employed. I have no 1099 yet. What I do have are bank statements showing electronic deposits from companies utilizing my services

Will those bank statements be enough?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.