B74L

K1 vs K3 Visa

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Thailand
Timeline

Many Many thanks in advance for your most valued input. Happy Holidays to everyone and best wishes for the New Year.

My Thai Fiancee and I are tossing about some ideas on whether to apply for a K1 Fiancee Visa or a K3 Spouse Visa for the US. She is currently on contract as a manager on with a cruise company. Since the boat is at port in Florida all say every Saturday, I just fly down and we spend the day together, before she has to leave in the evening. We could easily take the time and get married one Saturday, when she is in port to satisfy the K3 visa application process.

Pro's and Con's about both?

I am not fully up to speed on the K3 (I am well informed about the K1 visa)--I have not been able to get a good, general consensus opinion about the K3 so far. Obviously, I want to take the process that is easier for my fiancee, and the shortest. But in the end, does it really matter which one to do? At first, I honestly thought that the K3 would be the way to go. But what little info I did read, that might not be the case at all, apparantly.

Here is what I have ascertained about K3--appreciate any input:

1) k-3 is a more expensive process?

2) gaining a social sec nmbr, the right to work in the US, and overall US citizenship takes longer in a K3? (it is important that she be able to work as

soon as possible, once she moves with me)

3) the k3 visa process actually takes longer than the K1 process?

The idea of getting married one day when she is in port is just an idea to help the visa process. She is on contract with the cruise until May, and we do have the K1 visa paperwork ready to go...but then the idea of the K3 came into mind.

Maybe it is best just to go with the K1 process? Thx again for your thoughts.

Lastly--since she is on the boat 24/7, relaying her accurate telephone contact for the K1 paperwork will most certainly be compromised. Has anyone ever placed an email contact? I want the BKK embassy to be able to contact her rapidly and reliably for the BKK interview process. Any suggestions for a good contact information for the paperwork? Email is by far the best--telephone contact on a remote boat location will not work. Could I give my phone contact information?

Regarding the BKK interview--when that comes--does the embassy call and tell you "this is the date of the interview", and is the notification time like onle a week? Reason I am asking--she is totally prepared to leave the ship and fly back to BKK for the interview. But she may need up to 2 weeks to be able to get back (in worst case the boat is in the middle of the ocean). I guess what I meant to ask, is how much lead time does the BKK embassy give to the interview-ee to set up a date for the interview?

Very best regards.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

If it is important that she be able to work immediately, I would recommend the IR-1/CR1 visa. Its a spousal visa (Similar to the K3). But its different because she will be a legal permanent resident of the US and able to work when she enters the US.

Her job would be important in determining which visa too. If you go the K1 route she could not leave the US until she received advance parole (AP) or her green card, AP can be expedited but you have to apply for it. She could get a temp EAD via JFK but its only valid for 90 days; you would have to marry and file AOS immediately to not have a lapse in her employment eligibility and a new employer may not be willing to hire based on a 90 day work permit.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Many Many thanks in advance for your most valued input. Happy Holidays to everyone and best wishes for the New Year.

My Thai Fiancee and I are tossing about some ideas on whether to apply for a K1 Fiancee Visa or a K3 Spouse Visa for the US. She is currently on contract as a manager on with a cruise company. Since the boat is at port in Florida all say every Saturday, I just fly down and we spend the day together, before she has to leave in the evening. We could easily take the time and get married one Saturday, when she is in port to satisfy the K3 visa application process.

Pro's and Con's about both?

I am not fully up to speed on the K3 (I am well informed about the K1 visa)--I have not been able to get a good, general consensus opinion about the K3 so far. Obviously, I want to take the process that is easier for my fiancee, and the shortest. But in the end, does it really matter which one to do? At first, I honestly thought that the K3 would be the way to go. But what little info I did read, that might not be the case at all, apparantly.

Here is what I have ascertained about K3--appreciate any input:

1) k-3 is a more expensive process?

2) gaining a social sec nmbr, the right to work in the US, and overall US citizenship takes longer in a K3? (it is important that she be able to work as

soon as possible, once she moves with me)

3) the k3 visa process actually takes longer than the K1 process?

The idea of getting married one day when she is in port is just an idea to help the visa process. She is on contract with the cruise until May, and we do have the K1 visa paperwork ready to go...but then the idea of the K3 came into mind.

Maybe it is best just to go with the K1 process? Thx again for your thoughts.

Lastly--since she is on the boat 24/7, relaying her accurate telephone contact for the K1 paperwork will most certainly be compromised. Has anyone ever placed an email contact? I want the BKK embassy to be able to contact her rapidly and reliably for the BKK interview process. Any suggestions for a good contact information for the paperwork? Email is by far the best--telephone contact on a remote boat location will not work. Could I give my phone contact information?

Regarding the BKK interview--when that comes--does the embassy call and tell you "this is the date of the interview", and is the notification time like onle a week? Reason I am asking--she is totally prepared to leave the ship and fly back to BKK for the interview. But she may need up to 2 weeks to be able to get back (in worst case the boat is in the middle of the ocean). I guess what I meant to ask, is how much lead time does the BKK embassy give to the interview-ee to set up a date for the interview?

Very best regards.

The direct costs associated with K1 and K3 visas are identical. They are both significantly more expensive than a CR1 visa.

She's likely to have several weeks notice of an interview for any fiancee or spouse visa and will need it in order to get the medical and other issues taken care of. You make it sound like working is a priority. If so, I'd seriously consider the CR1 path.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

I'd consider the CR-1 path too. We are wishing we had gone that way. My DIL wouldn't be bored right now. You will have plenty of advance interview notice for Bangkok. Is there another address in Thailand that she can use as a permanent one where a responsible person can take care of her official mail and email her? When we knew the case had gone to the NVC and then the embassy we emailed the Bangkok and had them use an address for "mailing purposes" only.

Thai Mom

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.