swapdude

Residency Question

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: India
Timeline

Hi,

I have my interview coming up on January 7 and I recently received a letter for USCIS for additional evidence needed on my case.

I got my PR in Nov 2003, I can to US for 3 days .. did the process, registered for Selective Service and went back to India in 3 days because I had my exams coming up.

I stayed out of the country for 9 months and came back to US in Aug 04 and have been here since then.

The letter from USCIS wants me to prove that I did not try to give up my Residency during that period by showing proof of home/lease agreement, utility bills, tax return, bank statements etc.

Now I do not have any of that information during that period because I came to the US just for 3 days.

What can be done ? Will my transcripts and certificates from India suffice as I was a student back then ..

Please advice

Thanks,

Filed: Country: Sri Lanka
Timeline

Swapdude, you need to show evidence that you maintained US residency while you were back in India between Nov '03 and Aug '04. The list of items the USCIS asks for will prove that you maintained residency in the US, even though you weren't physically in the country. If you did NOT maintain residency then your clock might reset to Aug 2004. This means you'll be eligible to apply for naturalization (assuming naturalizing after 5-yrs of residency) around June 2009.

N-400

11-07-08 Mailed application to VT

11-20-08 NOA1 from NBC in Missouri

12-06-08 Biometrics

01-24-09 recieve appointment for 3/25 interview

01-25-09 Mailed letter to Hartford requesting new interview date (away on 3/25 at brother's wedding)

02-12-09 Recieve letter from NBC stating they have recieved my request for new interview date

02-21-09 Recieve letter for interview on April 7th. Hartford's got it's act together!

05-08-09 Oath ceremony in New Haven CT

Removal of Conditions

11-28-07 Mailed I-751 to VT

12-12-07 NOA (date-12-07-07)

01-10-08 Biometrics Appt

10-30-08 Approval letter (dated 10-27-08-approved!). Zero touches prior to letter

11-04-08 10-yr card arrives in the mail

Do you have any bill or anything thing that is in your name in the states for the time you were gone. WHo did you stay with when you came here for 3 days? Did you maintain any residence out here?If not then like the above people stated that they will move your date.

Edited by KyngSilva

My Citizenship Timeline

Service Center : Nebraska

CIS Office : St Paul, MN

Date Filed : 2008-07-31

NOA Date : 2008-08-06

Bio.Rcvd Date : 2008-08-15

Bio. Appt. : 2008-08-28

Interview Date : 2008-12-08

Approved : YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Final Approval 2009-03-16!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!File is in line for Oath Schedule

Oath Letter Rcvd: 2009-04-03

Oath Ceremony : 2009-04-30

Total Time So Far: 9 months, 0 days ..WooHoo!!!!!!!! Can You Hear The Sarcasm =)

I AM NOW A US CITIZEN!!!!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Anything over 6 months out of the country, you need to prove you resided in the US. You need to show bills, rental/mortgage payments etc, employment (if you worked outside of the US that will be a big issue if not for a US company) etc.

It's all up to you now to prove you resided in the US and the 9 months was temporary, you didn not 'live' there etc. They might not only deny your N-400 but you could risk jeapordizing your Green Card if they found you broke the rules by not maintaining residency status. The way you stated that you were only here 3 days then left, seems like you broke the residency and possibly could have your green card revoked...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

or as warlord stated, they could revoke ur greencard!! There are residency requirements one still has to meet when one has a greencard

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline
I don't have any utility/rent bills etc as they would have made no sense at that point.

I think I will have to go to the interview and they will ask me to reapply in may .. :(

Speak to and/or retain a lawyer. This could be money well spent considering some of the potential unfavorable outcomes mentioned by the other VJers. The lawyer won't be able to undo the past but he maybe have dealt with others in your situation.

N-400

12-06-08 Biometrics

01-25-09 Mailed letter to Hartford requesting new interview date (away on 3/25 at brother's wedding)

02-12-09 Recieve letter from NBC stating they have recieved my request for new interview date

02-21-09 Recieve letter for interview on April 7th. Hartford's got it's act together!

Removal of Conditions

01-10-08 Biometrics Appt

10-30-08 Approval letter (dated 10-27-08-approved!). Zero touches prior to letter

Filed: Timeline

Need more timeline information from you. You say you acquired PR in Nov 2003, how? And when did you enroll in school in India?

Hi,

I have my interview coming up on January 7 and I recently received a letter for USCIS for additional evidence needed on my case.

I got my PR in Nov 2003, I can to US for 3 days .. did the process, registered for Selective Service and went back to India in 3 days because I had my exams coming up.

I stayed out of the country for 9 months and came back to US in Aug 04 and have been here since then.

The letter from USCIS wants me to prove that I did not try to give up my Residency during that period by showing proof of home/lease agreement, utility bills, tax return, bank statements etc.

Now I do not have any of that information during that period because I came to the US just for 3 days.

What can be done ? Will my transcripts and certificates from India suffice as I was a student back then ..

Please advice

Thanks,

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Timeline

Hi,

Got my PR in Nov 2003

Came back in Aug 04

I was already enrolled in India for my Bachelors .. I just had to finish my 7th and 8th semesters.

Files in Sept 2008 ..

Met a few laywers .. they said that if the 8 months when i was out .. if that was close to 2008 then i had a slim chance of loosing PR but not when it was way back in 2003

Regards,

Edited by swapdude

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Good luck with the interview. Did the lawyers suggest how you might address the issue of staying out of the country for more than 6 months in 2003?

N-400

12-06-08 Biometrics

Removal of Conditions

01-10-08 Biometrics Appt

Timeline

Hi Asid,

I contacted a few lawyers and they had contracting opinions.

Few said that they will push back my date, few said i should create an affidavit stating the conditions under which i had to go back and i should be good.

Lets see how it goes ..

Swap

Good luck with the interview. Did the lawyers suggest how you might address the issue of staying out of the country for more than 6 months in 2003?

I don't have any utility/rent bills etc as they would have made no sense at that point.

I think I will have to go to the interview and they will ask me to reapply in may .. :(

In worst case, they can cancel your green card, and start deportation process since you didn't follow US immigration law.

Don't think everything for your convenience.

Immigration logic is different from common sense sometimes.

Immigration VISA was given to you since you express the intent of immigration, and living in U.S. for your lifetime.

If USCIS doubt your intention to live here as primary residence, you can be kicked out at any time.

Actually I was surprised that you were admited to come to U.S. with that long 9 month absense...

I'm curious how you did receive your plastic I-551 green card in mail.

Usually they mailed the plastic card in 2 ~ 3 weeks later to permanent residence where you did report at POE with immigration visa.

If I were you, I will look for good lawyer right away. You don't have much time.

Or you can send interview reschedule request via certified mail with valid reason such as... "I need more time to collect the evidence what USCIS is requested for."

Then find the good lawyer with reasonable evidence.

It really depends on whom you are dealing with.

You may ask lawyer to come with you for interview for better defense.

Edited by moonhunt

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Hi all,

I really thought that I should update this post for anyone who is in my situation.

I had contacted 2 laywers one said i was in trouble, the other (a bigger one ) said that i should not worry about anything at all.

I had my interview on the 7th and it went really well. The interviewer just went over the n400 .. and then 8 questions .. reading and writing and that was it. and while she prepared the oath document :) // we just plain chatted.

She did not ask me why was i out of the country, did not ask for transcripts, no tax returns nothing at all. Really strange she did not even mention anything about the yellow letter that i had received.

So I guess .. the interviewer clearly understands the situation here .. if the reason is genuine enough to be out, i really do not think they enforce the rules that strictly.

Anyways I am happy that my journey has ended.

Good luck to all of you who are still in the process.

Thanks!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.