Yevgeniy

Changing name after marriage questions

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hello, Me and my wife got married on the 4th of december. We would like to get Social security Card, and do Adjustment of Status. Do we need to change her last name to Mine for SS Card now or get a SS Card with her original last name?

Do I then fill out Adjustment of status with my last name for her or would i have to use her old last name since that's the name she has on passport and everything?

I've searched but can't find the order i should be going in....? please give advice, thank you

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline

my mother had the same question when she got married a long time ago, you cand do both with your last name. all you need is proof that you are legally married in other words your marriage certificate.

Timeline:

filed I-130: 2007/10/10 (child under 21 unmarried of a USC) "IR2"

uscis sends NOA: 2007/10/22

21st b-day: 2008/**/** (well that sucks)

I-130 approval notice: 2008/06/15 (was approved due to CHILD STATUS PROTECTION ACT, signed by Pres. Bush on August 6,2002)

case forwarded to NVC: 2008/06/16

biometrics bill received: 2008/07/13

biometrics bill paid: 2008/07/15

IV bill received: 2008/07/27

affidavit of support request received: 2008/08/02

affidavit of support request sent: 2008/09/20

IV bill paid: 2008/09/20

DS-230 request received: 2008/10/01

DS-230 request sent via express mail: 2008/11/20 (had to wait a loooong time for police certificates)

NVC receives DS-230 package: 2008/11/29

CASE COMPLETE!! : 2008/12/09 (no RFE)

case forwarded to embassy in Rio de Janeiro-Brazil:

medical exam:

interview date and time:

I believe you can use whatever name you choose. I chose to file my AOS with my maiden name and married name unhyphenated ie. Jones Smith. If she files using her maiden name she can change it later, but I believe there may be other paperwork involved in this.

Since the AOS name might not match the name on passport or other documents, you'll have to show the marriage certificate when flying, etc.

ROC Journey:

01/19/11 I-751 & ROC package sent via USPS Priority

01/21/11 Package delivered to California Service Center

01/25/11 Check cashed

03/07/11 Biometrics

04/14/11 Approval Notice Date

04/18/11 Approval Notice Received

Timeline
Hello, Me and my wife got married on the 4th of december. We would like to get Social security Card, and do Adjustment of Status. Do we need to change her last name to Mine for SS Card now or get a SS Card with her original last name?

Do I then fill out Adjustment of status with my last name for her or would i have to use her old last name since that's the name she has on passport and everything?

I've searched but can't find the order i should be going in....? please give advice, thank you

I can't do both? So do i file with My name or my girls Maiden name? Social security and AOS

thanks

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

What name does she want at the end ??

If you have your marriage certificate, it's the time to choose.

Personally, I decided for ... Maiden name[space]his name

It was a personal choice because I use my maiden name for work purpose and it also carry some kind of history.

Removal of conditions

01.11.2011 Remove conditions GC I-751 ($590)

01.18.2011 NOA1

02.24.2011 Biometric

03.25.2011 Approved

03.28.2011 Notice sent

03.31.2011 Received new green card (and it's green !)

AOS/EAD/AP from K1

07.23.2008 Send AOS/EAD/AP

07.29.2008 Check cashed

08.01.2008 NOA1

08.08.2008 Biometric Notice received

08.21.2008 Biometric Appointment

09.22.2008 Approval notice sent for AP (CRIS email)

09.22.2008 Card production ordered for EAD (CRIS email)

09.25.2008 Card production ordered for EAD (CRIS email) and a couple of touch since (last one 09.30.2008)

09.27.2008 Reception AP

10.02.2008 EAD Received

02.23.2009 Notice for interview (1.5 month late compared to LA statistics)

03.16.2009 AOS Touch

04.01.2009 Interview in LA  // Approved 

04.06.2009 Welcome to the USA Letter

04.13.2009 Reception GC

Naturalization
06/2016 Request
03/2017 Interview

Almost at the end !

Timeline

It was a personal choice because I use my maiden name for work purpose and it also carry some kind of history.

she wants my name, we want our family to have one last name which is my...

can someone please just tell me if i can change my name now? for social security? She'd have to apply for AOS with new last name... What about her old passport? will she be able to go to ukraine with her passport with maiden name but legally have my name?

Thank you for explaining

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

can someone please just tell me if i can change my name now? for social security? She'd have to apply for AOS with new last name... What about her old passport? will she be able to go to ukraine with her passport with maiden name but legally have my name?

Thank you for explaining

The lady at the passport office told me I had to change the name on my passport when I changed my lastname to my husband's. I would think once you change your name, you have to change it on all of your documents. If you are planning to travel soon then delay the name change. Otherwise, go ahead and do it now and then be prepared to update all of her other documents. I already went through it, it was tiring. Good luck!

Fariha

Edited by ~♥Fariha~♥~Zain♥~

---------------------------------------------

"Our 1,000 Mile Visa Journey Thus Far"

---------------------------------------------

I-130

Sent: 07/29/08

Recieved: 07/30/08

NOA1: 08/01/08

Touched: 08/07/08

Approved: 01/12/09

I-129

Sent: 08/07/08

Recieved 08/08/08

NOA1: 08/14/08

Touched: 08/19/08

Approved: 01/12/08

"A (visa) journey of 1,000 miles begins with a single step". - Lao-tzu

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Thank you for explaining

If you haven't already applied for the SSN, then she can do so with the name she chooses after marriage...your name I presume. She would then file for the AOS using her (your) married name. When she travels with her maiden name in her passport (her married name will be on the I-551 stamp in the passport), then carry a copy of the marriage certificate also, but it should be no problem. Also, on her next vist to Ukraine she can get a new passport with her married name OR she can get a passport from the Ukrainian embassy here prior to travel. As long as she has the documents to show she changed her name, she should have no problem.

This really is NO different than if you married a US citizen and she had a passport prior to marriage in her maiden name. You think they wouldn't let you honeymoon in Italy...or Ukraine? Of course! Just keep the necessary papers with the passport until everything is all in the same name.

Good luck

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.