sherry0201

depressing moment!

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Sherry, I feel your pain. I also have a degree in communication studies and am feeling like it was a waste of 4 years since I'm working for ####### money in a job I don't want to be doing long term... but even part time work is work experience on your resume.

I got a volunteer job at a local hospital network's marketing and communications department, which led to an interview for a full time job. I didn't get that job because I didn't have enough experience but I think of every interview as a positive thing, practise for the next one! They forwarded my resume to a sister hospital and I'm up for a job as a marketing and PR coordinator... my dream job. Right now I'm leasing apartments part time, as I said not something for me long-term but better than nothing and I get to do some stuff relevant to my degree.

I second the people who suggested temp agencies and recruiters. The way I got my first job (admin in an ad agency) was by sending out "will work for free in exchange for experience" letters - and I ended up with a part time paying job by doing that.

Just hang in there, it's a tough time at the moment for getting jobs, especially for us immigrants who don't have a lot of US work experience on our resumes, but you just have to keep trying and trying and eventually you'll get a good job.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline

Yep, everyone is struggling in this economy. My co-workers are getting small hours and they are all upset.

I really hope that things will get better soon.

06/19/2008 POE at LAX with K1 visa

06/28/2008 Married my husband

07/03/2008 Update my social security card

07/19/2008 AOS, EAD, AP mailed to Chicago lock box

07/21/2008 AOS, EAD, AP were received

07/28/2008 NOA1 for AOS, EAD, AP

08/04/2008 Biometric appointment letter arrived

08/15/2008 Biometric at Santa Ana office

10/21/2008 No update since biometric- contacted a local congressman, the ombudsman

10/22/2008 Was able to do service request

10/23/2008 EAD was approved

10/24/2008 AOS interview letter arrived

11/26/2008 Renew my State ID

12/10/2008 AOS interview approved right away

sherry, did u try applying as a bank teller? I know WaMu is still looking for bank tellers. I am working for them, and most of the banks are not laying-off tellers because they are needed. The company pays good and its a better job for a future references.

Edited by sheree

"I am holding my sons hands, they are holding my heart"

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.