amnonbabs

Interview in Los Angeles CA

9 posts in this topic

I'm writing this just in case someone out there is wondering how the L.A process is.

My appointment was for 7:30, there was a LONG line outside and it took me about 45 minutes to get inside the building, BRING A JACKET!, lol, I was freezing, I would suggest getting there earlier than the 30 minutes they ask you for but it really doesn't matter, they don't seem to care whether you are late or early as long as you show up on the correct date, the wait is mainly because you have to pass security. I went to the elevators asked somebody where the room they assigned was and then came inside the room. I put my interview letter in a little tray they have over there and played the waiting game for a about 30 more minutes. The officer called my name I went to his office, he asked me very easy questions from the civic test. Trust me, if you study you will pass this test, there are no hidden question, there are no "trick" questions, the whole thing is very straightforward, you study the material they give you you'll pass that test. The written test was one sentence only, I repeated it and then wrote it down.

Like many of the people here I will STRONGLY suggest to study your N-400 form, especially if you don't speak english very well, they do ask you the questions in the form and things about your marriage like "how many years have you been married"? "how many kids do you have?" etc.

After that the officer gave me my result (passed) and told me to wait for the Oath letter, it was pretty simple, the experience was EXACTLY like a job interview, these people weren't nice but they weren't rude either, they seem to just be doing their jobs, I don't know how else to explain it. In L.A. it is overwhelming the amount of people you'll see but remember it is not a competition.

I Wasn't asked to show any additional evidence but I wouldn't show up with nothing, bring ALL of your evidence even if they already have copies and bring the passport or whatever you used to go out of the country in trips even if it is expired. He did ask me if I had it I took it out inmediately and then he said, "it's ok, I don't need it".

OK, if you guys got any questions send me a message, I'll try to help however I can. Love y'all.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sudan
Timeline
I'm writing this just in case someone out there is wondering how the L.A process is.

My appointment was for 7:30, there was a LONG line outside and it took me about 45 minutes to get inside the building, BRING A JACKET!, lol, I was freezing, I would suggest getting there earlier than the 30 minutes they ask you for but it really doesn't matter, they don't seem to care whether you are late or early as long as you show up on the correct date, the wait is mainly because you have to pass security. I went to the elevators asked somebody where the room they assigned was and then came inside the room. I put my interview letter in a little tray they have over there and played the waiting game for a about 30 more minutes. The officer called my name I went to his office, he asked me very easy questions from the civic test. Trust me, if you study you will pass this test, there are no hidden question, there are no "trick" questions, the whole thing is very straightforward, you study the material they give you you'll pass that test. The written test was one sentence only, I repeated it and then wrote it down.

Like many of the people here I will STRONGLY suggest to study your N-400 form, especially if you don't speak english very well, they do ask you the questions in the form and things about your marriage like "how many years have you been married"? "how many kids do you have?" etc.

After that the officer gave me my result (passed) and told me to wait for the Oath letter, it was pretty simple, the experience was EXACTLY like a job interview, these people weren't nice but they weren't rude either, they seem to just be doing their jobs, I don't know how else to explain it. In L.A. it is overwhelming the amount of people you'll see but remember it is not a competition.

I Wasn't asked to show any additional evidence but I wouldn't show up with nothing, bring ALL of your evidence even if they already have copies and bring the passport or whatever you used to go out of the country in trips even if it is expired. He did ask me if I had it I took it out inmediately and then he said, "it's ok, I don't need it".

OK, if you guys got any questions send me a message, I'll try to help however I can. Love y'all.

Congratulation!

I see you sent you application before the 90 days and they received 90 days exactly.

Did the interviewer mention anything to you about that?

I am wondering if you could share the timeline below

1- Green card issued date

2- Date you signed your application

3- Date you mail your application

4- Date USCIS received your application

5- Priority date.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

congratulations... :dance::dance: were you given the options of which test to take? my interview is on january 12 at the same field office..

I-R5 at USCIS California Service Center

Consulate: Manila Philippines

5/19/09 Filed I-130 at Chicago Lockbox

5/22/09 USCIS rcvd I-130

6/01/09 Checks cashed

6/03/09 NOA1 rcvd for both parents

8/12/09 Email approval for Dad

8/17/09 Rcvd NOA2 for Dad

8/20/09 Rcvd RFE email for Mom

9/08/09 Email approval for Mom

9/12/09 Rcvd NOA2 for Mom

NVC

8/19/09 NVC rcvd dad's case

9/18/09 NVC rcvd mom's case

9/22/09 Emailed DS3032

9/28/09 Paid AOS/ I-864 fee of $70 for both

10/08/09 rcvd emails: DS3032 accepted

10/08/09 sent I-864

10/09/09 IV bill generated for both cases

10/10/09 Paid IV bill $800 for both

10/13/09 I-864 rcvd by NVC

10/15/09 DS230 mailed to NVC

10/16/09 I-864 accepted & entered into the system

10/19/09 DS230 rcvd by NVC

11/02/09 rcvd checklist emails

11/09/09 sent RFE to NVC via UPS

11/12/09 NVC received RFE

11/19/09 AVR: checklist response rcvd 11/18/09

11/28/09 Log-in failed for both

12/01/09 Case complete as of 11/30/09

12/14/09 rcvd emails of interview date

01/04-05/09 medical @ St.Lukes done

01/11/10 Interview @ USEmbassy Manila 6:30am

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Thaks for the post - I have my interview in atthe LA office on 6th Jan 2009.

I noticed you applied before Oct 2008 - were you given a choice as to which test you wanted take? (old/new).

I understand I need to study - just want to make sure I am studying the "right" thing LOL

N400 at California SC, Field office- Los Angeles

Sep 3, 2007 Application Mailed

Sep 12, 2007 - Priority date

Nov 9,2007 - check cashed

Nov 20,2007 - NOA1: "expect to be notified within 425 days of this notice",

Jan 10, 2008 - fingerprints appointment (letter lost due to mailing address receipted incorrectly)

Feb 7, 2008 - fingerprints done (took about 10 min - as a walk-in)

Sept 8, 2008 - Interview date (letter received Jul 18) - rescheduled at my request

Jan 6, 2009 - Interview date

Feb 26, 2009 - Citizenship Oath

*online status "case received Oct 29", no touches showing.

No mention about the 90 days, I was expecting they would say something but nothing happened thanks the Lord.

About your questions:

1- Green card issued date = Nov 20 05

2- Date you signed your application Nov 21 08

3- Date you mail your application Nov 21-08

4- Date USCIS received your application Nov 25 08

5- Priority date. Nov 25 08

Congratulation!

I see you sent you application before the 90 days and they received 90 days exactly.

Did the interviewer mention anything to you about that?

I am wondering if you could share the timeline below

1- Green card issued date

2- Date you signed your application

3- Date you mail your application

4- Date USCIS received your application

5- Priority date.

Yes, he did ask me "which test do you want to take, the old one or the new one?" and I took the old one, even though I studied for both the old one seemed easier and I didn't want to risk it.

congratulations... :dance::dance: were you given the options of which test to take? my interview is on january 12 at the same field office..

Thaks for the post - I have my interview in atthe LA office on 6th Jan 2009.

I noticed you applied before Oct 2008 - were you given a choice as to which test you wanted take? (old/new).

I understand I need to study - just want to make sure I am studying the "right" thing LOL

Yes, he did ask me which test I wanted and I said the Old one, call me a chicken but I didn't want to risk it , lol, I did study for both just in case.

No mention about the 90 days, I was expecting they would say something but nothing happened thanks the Lord.

About your questions:

1- Green card issued date = Nov 20 05

2- Date you signed your application Nov 21 08

3- Date you mail your application Nov 21-08

4- Date USCIS received your application Nov 25 08

5- Priority date. Nov 25 08

Thank you very much, I think you meant Aug 21 and Agu 25 not NOV 21 and NOV 25

I-130/I129f

6/14/2008 Sent to Chicago lockboxt

6/18/2008 received by USCIS

6//27/2008 NOA1

8/14/2009 upgarded the I-130 to immedi Reltive

8/25/2009 send I-129F

9/2/2009 NOA1 for I-129f received

9/10/2009 sent expedite request.

9/16/2009 first Touch since 6/27/2008

9/16 129f and I-130 Approved

9/22 Hard copies received

9/23/2009 NVC received my I29f/K3 still waiting for the I130

9/24 I29f sent to embassy

10/05 NVC case number assigned to my I-130

10/7 received DS3032 and AOS email

10/7 Sent DS-3032 by email and mail.

10/7 paid AOS

10/9/2009 AOS sent

10/9/2009 expedite request accepted, login failed, case sent to the Eabassy

11/22/2009 Interview

11/24/2009 Visa issued

11/29/2009 arrived to the US.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline
Yes, he did ask me which test I wanted and I said the Old one, call me a chicken but I didn't want to risk it , lol, I did study for both just in case.

Thanks for responding - I plan on doing the same as you - studying for both, but, given the choice I will do the old test - IMHO it seems a little easier.

Oh, and BTW - congratulations!

N400 at California SC, Field office- Los Angeles

Sep 3, 2007 Application Mailed

Sep 12, 2007 - Priority date

Nov 9,2007 - check cashed

Nov 20,2007 - NOA1: "expect to be notified within 425 days of this notice",

Jan 10, 2008 - fingerprints appointment (letter lost due to mailing address receipted incorrectly)

Feb 7, 2008 - fingerprints done (took about 10 min - as a walk-in)

Sept 8, 2008 - Interview date (letter received Jul 18) - rescheduled at my request

Jan 6, 2009 - Interview date

Feb 26, 2009 - Citizenship Oath

*online status "case received Oct 29", no touches showing.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Here it took all of maybe 60 seconds to go through security (probably closer to 30 seconds).

When we got there, there was one other couple ahead of us. While we were waiting, some other girl came in behind us.

The girl from the couple ahead of us went in - was in maybe for 15 minutes. Was approved.

Then my wife went in. By this time, it was about 20 minutes past our appointed time. She was also in for about 15 minutes. Wanted to make a copy of her driver's license (I guess it's a good thing she has one), even though we submitted a copy with her papers (along with copies of every other ID she has).

Asked her if she wanted new or old test. She took the new one. I don't see any "risk" to the new one. Hell, I looked at the study questions side by side and could barely see any difference anyway. He asked her 7 questions - all straight from the study material. No brainer there. Then she had to write a sentence and read a sentence.

He asked her if I paid taxes and if we had kids and whether she had any additional paperwork to give him (no).

He indicated approval, gave her a form that indicated he was recommending approval, and said we should get a letter about the ceremony in 2-4 weeks.

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.