berrystrawberry

AP in case of emergency

30 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Carla and Seekingadvice, thank you for your responses. My husband and I went to an infopass before we submitted the package, and the lady we spoke to advised us to include the doctor’s note, a letter requesting advance parole, and credit card information for them to express mail us the parole in the package to be sent to the Chicago office. So that’s what we did. We have only gotten the NOA for the 1-130 so far. We went to an infopass appointment today and spoke to the same lady. She didn’t look at anything we brought. She only told us to wait for the Chicago office and did not provide us any other information.

On the NOA for 1-130 that we received, there is one item called “Priority date”, it has a “P” in the blank. Does that mean priority? We keep checking our mail and emails, nothing came in yet. I really can’t wait. I need to go asap. What really is the “parole”? Is it a letter from USCIS that is to be shown to the customs when we try to come back to the US, or is it a stamp on the passport? In case it is a stamp on the passport, do I have to mail in my passport first in order to receive the AP?

Called USCIS’s 800 number today. They said once I receive the NOA for the I-131 advance parole form, I could call back to request an expedite AP, but at this point I could do nothing but wait since we have only received the NOA for i-130, and it could take 2-3 months to get the receipt for 131. Our checks for both 130 and 485 were cashed on the same day about 10 days ago though. We thought we were going to get all the receipts together. But we did not. I was under the impression that USCIS sends out NOAs same time they cash the checks. Is that true? Recently a few mails that were addressed to me got returned for some reason. I am thinking maybe the receipts were mailed to me, but were returned back to USCIS by the post office???

The USCIS officer I spoke with today said that I could leave the country before I receive the AP, if I believed that the AP would be eventually granted to me without me being present in the US. I could then have my husband mail it to my home country while I am gone and use it to come back to the states when I need to return. She said this was not recommended and would be taken at my own risk if I did decide to do so. She said it is okay to do so because no document is required when I leave the country, only when I return do they request AP. My understanding on this though is if I leave the US when my application is pending, and before I receive the AP, I automatically lose my AOS applicant status. The lady said that it could take 2-3 months before I receive a receipt. In that case, I have to leave the US without having the parole, since my mom can’t wait that long. Does anyone know how exactly the parole works? I need help! Thanks!!

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you. I don't know all the ins and outs of AP. I have heard and read however that you DO need the document in your hands (it's some forms), BEFORE you leave the country. Yes, you'd be abandoning your AOS and have to reapply for a visa if you left without your AP. Your AP will be dated. That will be caught at the border when you return wouldn't it?

I just don't understand why the "lady" at the INFOPASS appointment is not processing your EMERGENCY AP. That's what it is, it's an EMERGENCY. I included a few links in a previous posting from others who have done this, and have gone to the local office, told them it was an emergency, and within a day have gotten the required document.

Maybe you have to be more assertive with them. Tell them you specifically KNOW this can be done, and ask why they are not assisting you in this matter. Maybe they don't think it's an emergency? I did say that in my first post I think, that if the Dr. is not saying it's life or death, or if there is not a death in the immediate family, they might not grant the emergency AP.

I really don't know how else I can help you. Best of luck!

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Filed: Timeline

Make an appointment at InfoPass. Bring the NOA from the AOS and the doctor's note, along with a copy of your original AP submission requesting expedited process. Explain to the officer that this is an emergency. Go ahead and cry in front of them if you need to. It's very stressful to be away from your family under such circumstances. I had not applied for AP when I went for emergency AP.... I just took what I had and wrote a covering letter of explanation. They were very understanding and I picked up my expedited AP the next morning. They did not require the biometrics beforehand. However, because my appointment was made during the time I would be out of the country I dropped into the biometrics office, explained the situation, and they took me. You will need your passport, your AOS NOA, and your marriage certificate.

Good luck, and I am so very sorry for the terrible strain this must be causing you. (F)

iagree.gif

Carla, Nagishkaw, and Krikit- thank you so much for your responses! I wish the uscis officers were as supportive and understanding as you guys!

I spoke to them several times after my last post. It turns out the receipts for the rest of the forms (131, 765, 485) were all sent out 10 days ago, but they put a wrong address on them, so I did not receive those. A biometrics appointment letter has also been sent out, to a wrong address as well. the receipts will not be resent since they don't provide duplicates for receipts. But another biometrics appointment letter will be mailed out. Though I may miss the appointment in case I don't receive the letter before the appointment time (jan. 21). One of the representatives put a request in the system for expedite AP. It takes 5-7 business days for a response to be mailed to me. So it’s 7 days plus how ever long it takes for the mail to reach me, plus the time it takes to produce the parole and for the parole to be mailed to me. I cannot wait that long. I will just walk in the local office and talk to them in person without an appointment, since the earliest available appointment is 7 days from now. I hope they won’t turn me away like last time. it is a 2 hour drive from where I am.

To Krikit: when you walked in the biometrics office, did you already have the appointment letter with you? I may not be able to receive mine soon enough for me to bring it with me to the local office, but the rep I talked with told me the exact time and location. Can I just stop by and show them my ID to have it taken? And what information do they collect for the biometrics?

Thanks!

Filed: Timeline
Carla, Nagishkaw, and Krikit- thank you so much for your responses! I wish the uscis officers were as supportive and understanding as you guys!

I spoke to them several times after my last post. It turns out the receipts for the rest of the forms (131, 765, 485) were all sent out 10 days ago, but they put a wrong address on them, so I did not receive those. A biometrics appointment letter has also been sent out, to a wrong address as well. the receipts will not be resent since they don't provide duplicates for receipts. But another biometrics appointment letter will be mailed out. Though I may miss the appointment in case I don't receive the letter before the appointment time (jan. 21). One of the representatives put a request in the system for expedite AP. It takes 5-7 business days for a response to be mailed to me. So it's 7 days plus how ever long it takes for the mail to reach me, plus the time it takes to produce the parole and for the parole to be mailed to me. I cannot wait that long. I will just walk in the local office and talk to them in person without an appointment, since the earliest available appointment is 7 days from now. I hope they won't turn me away like last time. it is a 2 hour drive from where I am.

To Krikit: when you walked in the biometrics office, did you already have the appointment letter with you? I may not be able to receive mine soon enough for me to bring it with me to the local office, but the rep I talked with told me the exact time and location. Can I just stop by and show them my ID to have it taken? And what information do they collect for the biometrics?

Thanks!

Ohmygosh, that just makes me so angry that, through their mistake, they sent the NOA's to an incorrect address and will not resend them. You need those NOA's!!!!! That's your proof that you are in compliance with being legal! :angry: I would insist on speaking with a supervisor. /vent

I did have my biometrics letter with me when I dropped into the office so I don't know what will happen if you don't have one. All they did was have me fill out a questionnaire, take my fingerprints, then take my picture. It was pretty simple, really.

Am sending good vibes your way for a quick and successful end to all these issues, and I really hope your Mom does will in her surgery. (((((((BIG HUGS))))))))

iagree.gif

Krikit- thank you so much for sending me positive thoughts!

So far, I still have not received anything that I am missing. I did speak with a few agents at the national customer service center, which is supposed to be a higher level. They all said they could not send out duplicates for my receipts. So I guess that’s their policy. I will make a request when I am at the local office, but I double they could do anything. i will post updates as I find out more.

I district office might make a difference. Here is what I found. Each District office says no walk-ins except in an emergency. This is one. Let us know how you make out.

Location 1:

Dallas District Office

8101 North Stemmons Freeway

Dallas, TX 75247

Serves the following counties:

Anderson, Andrews, Archer, Armstrong, Bailey, Baylor, Borden, Bosque, Bowie, Briscoe, Callahan, Camp, Carson, Cass, Castro, Cherokee, Childress, Clay, Cochran, Collin, Collingsworth, Comanche, Cooke, Cottle, Crosby, Dallam, Dallas, Dawson, Deaf Smith, Delta, Denton, Dickens, Donley, Eastland, Ellis, Erath, fanning, Fisher, Floyd, Foard, Franklin, Freestone, Gaines, Garza, Gray, Grayson, Gregg, Hale, Hall, Hamilton, Hansford, Hardeman, Harison, Hartley, Haskell, Hemphill, Henderson, Hill, Hockley, Hood, Hopkins, Houston, Howard, Hunt, Hutchinson, Jack, Johnson, Jones, Kaufman, Kent, King, Knox, Lamar, Lamb, Leon, Limestone, Lipscomb, Lubbock, Lynn, Marion, Martin, Mitchell, Montague, Moore, Morris, Motley, Navarro, Nolan, Ochiltree, Oldham, Palo Pinto, Panola, Parker, Parmer, Potter, Rains, Randall, Red River, Roberts, Rockwall, Rusk, Scurry, Shackelford, Sherman, Smith, Somervell, Stephens, Stonewall, Swisher, Tarrant, Taylor, Terry, Throckmorton, Titus, Upshur, Van Zandt, Wheeler, Wichita, Willbarger, Wise, Wood, Yoakum, and Young

Hours open to the public:

6:30 AM - 1 PM, M, T, TH, F

Appointments:

No walk-ins are allowed unless it is an emergency. Otherwise, schedule an appointment using INFOPASS via the USCIS web page.

Accepted forms of payment:

Certified check or money order

Location 2:

El Paso District Office

1545 Hawkins Boulevard, Suite 167

El Paso, TX 79925

Service areas:

The state of New Mexico and the following counties in Texas: El Paso, Brewster, Crane, Culberson, Ector, Hudspeth, Jeff Davis, Loving, Midland, Pecos, Presidio, Reeves, Terrell, Upton, Ward, and Winkler

7:30 AM - 3 PM, M-TH

Appointments:

No walk-ins are allowed unless it is an emergency. Otherwise, schedule an appointment using INFOPASS via the USCIS web page.

Money order drawn on a United States bank or in United States currency

Location 3:

Harlingen District Office

1717 Zoy Street

Harlingen, tX 78552

Brooks, Cameron, Hidalgo, Kennedy, Kleberg, Starr, and Willacy

8 AM - 3 PM, M, T, TH, F; 8 AM - 11 AM, W

Appointments:

Personal check (only those drawn on a local bank with a local street address), certified check, or money order

Location 4:

Houston District Office

126 Northpoint

Houston, TX 77060

Angelina, Austin, Brazoria, Chambers, Colorado, Fort Bend, Galveston, Grimes, Hardin, Harris, Jasper, Jefferson, Liberty, Madison, Matagorda, Montgomery, Nacogdoches, Newton, Orange, Polk, Sabine, San Augustine, San Jacinto, Shelby, Trinity, Tyler, Walker, Waller, Washington (except for Naturalization), and Wharton

7 AM - 3:30 PM, M-TH; 7 AM - 11:30 AM F

Appointments:

Cashier's check, certified check, or money order

Location 5:

San Antonio District Office

8940 Fourwinds Drive

San Antonio, TX 78239

78 counties of Central and South Texas, which include the following major cities: San Antonio, Austin, Waco, San Angelo, College Station/Bryan, Victoria, Corpus Christi, Kerrville, Uvalde, Del Rio, Eagle Pass, and Laredo

8 AM - 4 PM, M, T, TH, F; 8 AM - 12 Noon, W

Appointments:

Money order or bank cashier's check

carlahmsb4.gif

Some more updates… I went to the local office on Monday. The guy at the front desk was rude and tried to turn me away without having seen anything I brought. I was angry at that point and started arguing with him. Long story short, after quite some effect, I got to talk to the same officer I had spoken with a few times before. She looked me up in the system and told me my profile was barely in there, probably because the delay during the holidays. She then got on the phone with somebody. In the end she told me to expect the parole by the end of the week. I received a phone call from the person that processed my parole on Thursday telling me that they would send it out via expedite mail. I have gotten the parole yesterday. It was sent out from Missouri. I think that is the national benefit center.

From my experience, the 800 customer service wasn’t really helpful. They have very limited information. They can submit requests to the according offices, but that’s the most they can do. They have no leverage over how the case will turn out, or access to information about in which stage the case is in. On the other hand, the local office is much more powerful. My advice to anyone needing AP in an emergency, be proactive and persistent, don’t wait as they tell you to, and don’t take no as an answer.

Thank you for all the help and support you guys have given me. I have purchased my tickets and will be going home now :) good luck to all!

oh i have a question. does anyone know if there are other documents i need to bring with me besides the parole? thanks!

Congratulations on getting your document! Yes, you really have to be assertive with the officials. Glad that's over for you now and you can concentrate on being with your Mom during her surgery.

You need to bring your AP documents, your passport of course, your marriage license...hmm, I think that's it!

carlahmsb4.gif

Thanks Carla! I only have a photocopy of the marriage certificate since it is not replaceable, and we didn't want to give it any chance to get lost or torn. Do you think I can get by with that, or do I have to bring the original ( or a certified copy but not the original)?

Thanks Carla! I only have a photocopy of the marriage certificate since it is not replaceable, and we didn't want to give it any chance to get lost or torn. Do you think I can get by with that, or do I have to bring the original ( or a certified copy but not the original)?

I think you'll be fine with the photocopy. It's just to show the name change. Best wishes. (F)

carlahmsb4.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.