berrystrawberry

AP in case of emergency

30 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

My husband and I are about to submit the 130 and 485 package for my green card application. My mother is going to take a heart surgery this winter. She is waiting for me to go home. We included I-131 form in the application package for Advance Parole, so I can leave the US. Does anyone know how to expedite the process in case of family emergency like this? Can we go to a local USCIS office and obtain AP in person? I have my mother's doctor's note. USCIS explained that all applications are accepted in mail only to the Chicago lockbox. But we did read about couples getting AP through infopass appointments at local USCIS offices. Could someone with experience please provide us some information?

Thank you very much!!

Edited by berrystrawberry

My husband and I are about to submit the 130 and 485 package for my green card application. My mother is going to take a heart surgery this winter. She is waiting for me to go home. We included I-131 form in the application package for Advance Parole, so I can leave the US. Does anyone know how to expedite the process in case of family emergency like this? Can we go to a local USCIS office and obtain AP in person? I have my mother's doctor's note. USCIS explained that all applications are accepted in mail only to the Chicago lockbox. But we did read about couples getting AP through infopass appointments at local USCIS offices. Could someone with experience please provide us some information?

Thank you very much!!

Send in your applications. Many people have obtained emergency AP's after awaiting their AP's to come by making an INFOPASS appointment at their local office, and bringing a copy of their NOA, and supporting documentation from qualified people to support their request. My understanding is that it has to be an extreme emergency. Does the letter from the Doctor say that this is life threatening? I wouldn't think you'd have problem in this regard. Usually people have been granted an emergency AP for deaths that I know of. Family emergencies would qualify as well I would think. Not vacations, or trips booked for pleasure. It can, and has been done.

Best of luck to you! Hope that your Mother's surgery goes well. (F)

carlahmsb4.gif

Thank you for the response, Carla! The doctor’s note does not say the exact words “life threatening”, but it says “surgery recommended as soon as possible”. My mother has had heart failure, and the surgery is absolutely needed. Do you know if have to complete biometrics before I can get the AP? Our application is ready to go, I would really like to know overall how long it will take for me to receive the AP after the application is sent out. My mom is waiting on my words to schedule her surgery :(

Thanks!!

Thank you very much!!

Send in your applications. Many people have obtained emergency AP's after awaiting their AP's to come by making an INFOPASS appointment at their local office, and bringing a copy of their NOA, and supporting documentation from qualified people to support their request. My understanding is that it has to be an extreme emergency. Does the letter from the Doctor say that this is life threatening? I wouldn't think you'd have problem in this regard. Usually people have been granted an emergency AP for deaths that I know of. Family emergencies would qualify as well I would think. Not vacations, or trips booked for pleasure. It can, and has been done.

Best of luck to you! Hope that your Mother's surgery goes well. (F)

Usually, and I say that with no guarantee, AP comes in about 60-90 days. Getting that AOS application in, with your EAD and AP in with it, will ensure that you'll get your NOA on those applications, which you can then take to the INFOPASS appointment, to prove that you applied for them. You don't have to have had your biometrics done before going to the INFOPASS appointment, however if you get an appointment for them to be done while you're away, I don't know what you'll have to do. Perhaps reschedule them? How long do you think you're going to be away?

Firstly I'd get the applications sent away, and then tell your Mother, or her Dr. it's going to be about 3 months before you can get the required documentation to come visit and be with her for the surgery. If you're just looking at going to be with her during the surgery, and not staying a long time, you'll probably be good to get back here for additional appointments for your AOS or biometrics interview. There is a chance as well, that you won't get an interview, and your case will be transferred to CSC.

If your Mom's surgery can wait the anticipated 3 months waiting time for the AP, then you won't need a Dr.'s letter at all, you can just take your forms and go. If it can't wait, as earlier stated, take what you have to an INFOPASS appointment, and with proof that you applied, you should be able to get a document to travel with.

carlahmsb4.gif

Thanks Carla!

My mom can’t wait for that long. The sooner she takes the surgery, the more likely the surgery will be successful. Her heart is compensating for the dysfunction, and gets worse and worse since it has to keep working harder. I am really hoping I could make it back early January. Does anyone know if it’s feasible? If so, how to do this?

My husband and I went to an infopass appointment. They said AP application had to be submitted in the whole 485/130/131 application package to the Chicago lockbox. They did not say anything about making an appointment with them after we have submitted the application package. They also said biometrics have to be taken before AP will be granted. In other words, I have to get it done before I can have my AP. Does anyone know how soon biometrics can be taken after the AOS application has been submitted?

I consulted a lawyer. He said AP can be issued within 7 days, but wouldn’t provide more information unless I hire him. I would really appreciate it if anyone could share more information on this.

Thanks!

Usually, and I say that with no guarantee, AP comes in about 60-90 days. Getting that AOS application in, with your EAD and AP in with it, will ensure that you'll get your NOA on those applications, which you can then take to the INFOPASS appointment, to prove that you applied for them. You don't have to have had your biometrics done before going to the INFOPASS appointment, however if you get an appointment for them to be done while you're away, I don't know what you'll have to do. Perhaps reschedule them? How long do you think you're going to be away?

Firstly I'd get the applications sent away, and then tell your Mother, or her Dr. it's going to be about 3 months before you can get the required documentation to come visit and be with her for the surgery. If you're just looking at going to be with her during the surgery, and not staying a long time, you'll probably be good to get back here for additional appointments for your AOS or biometrics interview. There is a chance as well, that you won't get an interview, and your case will be transferred to CSC.

If your Mom's surgery can wait the anticipated 3 months waiting time for the AP, then you won't need a Dr.'s letter at all, you can just take your forms and go. If it can't wait, as earlier stated, take what you have to an INFOPASS appointment, and with proof that you applied, you should be able to get a document to travel with.

It looks like I'm the only one that has responded thus far, and I just want to reiterate that you have to send in the whole package NOW. Getting it in right away will ensure you'll have PROOF that you sent it in, and you're awaiting and in line for the whole process. That will let them know when you make an INFOPASS appointment before getting AP, that you indeed have filed. I suppose if you are not going to file right away, you can still go for an infopass appointment, with the required documenation and get an emergency AP. I know your chances are better that you'd get one if you had proof that you at least sent in the stuff to USCIS already.

Did you do a "search" in this forum, on Emergency AP? You might go back several pages here and see if that is a topic on a thread here, and see someone else's suggestions. I know they're on this forum, because I've read them before.

If you're not applying for AOS/EAD/AP right away, and need this AP immediately, then just make an appointment with infopass right away, and go tell them about the emergency, and bring your letter from your Mom's doctor and pay the fee (yes, you're going to have to pay a fee for your AP if you haven't already applied through the regular process), and get it now. The only thing they can say is "no", or "we need more information", in which case you'll maybe need another letter from your Mom's doctor.

If all else fails, you could leave without AP, but you WILL NOT be able to get back into the US after. You'll have to apply and go through a visa process again in your Mom's country.

Let me know how you make out.

carlahmsb4.gif

Thanks Carla! I am going to send in the package this week and try to make an appointment with the local office hopefully next week. Do you know if I have to wait until I receive the NOA receipt in mail, or is it reflected in their system right away once they get my application? I searched Emergency AP on here, but did not get much information. I will do more searching once I send the package out.

It looks like I'm the only one that has responded thus far, and I just want to reiterate that you have to send in the whole package NOW. Getting it in right away will ensure you'll have PROOF that you sent it in, and you're awaiting and in line for the whole process. That will let them know when you make an INFOPASS appointment before getting AP, that you indeed have filed. I suppose if you are not going to file right away, you can still go for an infopass appointment, with the required documenation and get an emergency AP. I know your chances are better that you'd get one if you had proof that you at least sent in the stuff to USCIS already.

Did you do a "search" in this forum, on Emergency AP? You might go back several pages here and see if that is a topic on a thread here, and see someone else's suggestions. I know they're on this forum, because I've read them before.

If you're not applying for AOS/EAD/AP right away, and need this AP immediately, then just make an appointment with infopass right away, and go tell them about the emergency, and bring your letter from your Mom's doctor and pay the fee (yes, you're going to have to pay a fee for your AP if you haven't already applied through the regular process), and get it now. The only thing they can say is "no", or "we need more information", in which case you'll maybe need another letter from your Mom's doctor.

If all else fails, you could leave without AP, but you WILL NOT be able to get back into the US after. You'll have to apply and go through a visa process again in your Mom's country.

Let me know how you make out.

Might take a week or two to get your NOA saying that they've received your package. If you sign up for email notifications, you might be able to just take the screen shot, or email notification saying your package is received.

Again, let me know how things pan out!

carlahmsb4.gif

Here is a link from someone else with a question about Emergency AP. There are a few people who responded that did the same thing. They've explained how they went about it, and what they brought to the appointment. You might want to click on their name to see what the responses were when they posted their question, or you could PM them and explain your situation and see what they might have to offer.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=160401

carlahmsb4.gif

Carla- the information you gave me is so helpful! Thank you so much! It is exactly what I am looking for. I will let you know how things go with me.

Here is a link from someone else with a question about Emergency AP. There are a few people who responded that did the same thing. They've explained how they went about it, and what they brought to the appointment. You might want to click on their name to see what the responses were when they posted their question, or you could PM them and explain your situation and see what they might have to offer.

Carla, I have a question for you. You mentioned CSC before. What does it stand for?

Carla- the information you gave me is so helpful! Thank you so much! It is exactly what I am looking for. I will let you know how things go with me.

Carla, I have a question for you. You mentioned CSC before. What does it stand for?

CSC = California Service Centre

carlahmsb4.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Here is some update...

We mailed out the application package on 12/22/2008, it was received by the chicago lockbox on the 24th, checks were cashed on the 30th, we received the NOA for the I-130 form today 01/04/09 in mail that was made on 12/30/08. We requested expedite processing for the advance parole, and included the doctor's note and a letter explaining the situation in the application package, as well as credit card information for expedite courier for them to mail me the AP in case it is approved (advised to do so by an officer at the local uscis office during an Infopass appointment). So far we did not receive anything pertaining to the parole in mail or through email/phone calls.

Does anyone know what i should expect regarding the parole? I need it in order to go home for my mom's surgery. Is there anything I could do now to expedite the process? thanks!

Here is some update...

We mailed out the application package on 12/22/2008, it was received by the chicago lockbox on the 24th, checks were cashed on the 30th, we received the NOA for the I-130 form today 01/04/09 in mail that was made on 12/30/08. We requested expedite processing for the advance parole, and included the doctor's note and a letter explaining the situation in the application package, as well as credit card information for expedite courier for them to mail me the AP in case it is approved (advised to do so by an officer at the local uscis office during an Infopass appointment). So far we did not receive anything pertaining to the parole in mail or through email/phone calls.

Does anyone know what i should expect regarding the parole? I need it in order to go home for my mom's surgery. Is there anything I could do now to expedite the process? thanks!

I really don't know that the people who received your AP documents are the ones that will be expediting your AP. What I'd personally do now, is take your documentation you received from them (your NOA) the letter from the doctor etc. and make an INFOPASS appointment. See if they'll give you your AP documentation. This is if you absolutely can't wait. Otherwise, I'd give it another week or so, and you should get a letter requesting you get fingerprinted, and after that's done, I'd take everything in and see if they'll give you the AP.

Thanks for the update. Keep us informed!

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

Hi! I send my AOS documents in August. I asked for an expedite advance parole document. Long story short my dayd had a terrible accident with a fire arm. He was in the hospital for days and wasn't waking up. I asked my family back home to ask the hospital for a letter. They gave me a letter that said that he was in critcal conditions and explained the whole situation. I send my AOS package and really made sure to point put that an expedite service for AP was requested. After 90 days of not recieving my AP nor EAD I made an info pass apointment, which really did not help all that much. I finally recieved my AP in Decmber, more than 4 months after sendnf my documents....

Hopefully this will not be your case, but I am just telling u my expirience. You should try to schedule an infopass and bring all supporting documents!!

Good luck and keep us posted!!

Edited by Seekingadvice

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.