reece

EAD and SSN for K3 visa

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

hi! i would like to know who among you guys is a k3 visa and already filed their AOS with EAD? i would like to ask if you already received your EAD?i have filed mine last first week of October, and the last letter i have received was the schedule letter for biometrics referring to my AOS. im really getting bored, i cant apply for work and driver's license. does it really take that long? thanks....

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
hi! i would like to know who among you guys is a k3 visa and already filed their AOS with EAD? i would like to ask if you already received your EAD?i have filed mine last first week of October, and the last letter i have received was the schedule letter for biometrics referring to my AOS. im really getting bored, i cant apply for work and driver's license. does it really take that long? thanks....

typically within 90 days of application and yes it can take the entire 90 day period

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Note your post belongs in "Working & Traveling prior to getting a Green Card" Forum

This is one of the BIG reasons I tell people to AVOID K-3, and simply do CR-1 visa, for the most part CR-1 tends to take about 30 days longer to get.

For the most part CR-1 tends to take a bit longer than K-3 to get if you prepare for NVC when they request I-864 fee, and Visa fee, as well as documents requested by NVC. In many cases the CR-1 petition reaches the consulate just before K-3 interview, which causes K-3 to get dropped and the interview becomes a CR-1 visa interview.

K-3:

I-130: $355

I-129F: NONE

Consulate: $131

AOS: $1010

($1496)

CR-1

NVC I-864: $70

NVC Visa fee: $400 ($355+$45)

($825)

I see many posts from K-3 holders stating, "Wow this sucks, I am stuck at home because I don't have EAD, DL, etc, or I am having hard time getting added to bank accounts because of NO SSN." K-3 has a 90 day or longer period of limbo while waiting for EAD or Green-card.

K-3 was developed at a time when CR-1 was taking much longer that today, NVC has greatly streamlined the CR-1 process to the point where K-3 becomes irrelevant.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline
Curious what state are you from? Some states DO allow K3 visaholders to get a license......
Most require SSN, but yes the K-3 I-94 should be good for evidence of legal presence, K-3 I-94 tends to be valid for 2 years.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

lol my wife was able to kill a lot of what would have been idle time studying for the learners permit then learning to drive on the "correct" side of the road <hoping she don't see this post> while waiting on EAD to come in. We're lucky to be in Texas though, no SS# required to get a DL, only 180 day valid I94.

Curious what state are you from? Some states DO allow K3 visaholders to get a license......
Most require SSN, but yes the K-3 I-94 should be good for evidence of legal presence, K-3 I-94 tends to be valid for 2 years.

i don't get it.

Filed: Timeline
Note your post belongs in "Working & Traveling prior to getting a Green Card" Forum

This is one of the BIG reasons I tell people to AVOID K-3, and simply do CR-1 visa, for the most part CR-1 tends to take about 30 days longer to get.

For the most part CR-1 tends to take a bit longer than K-3 to get if you prepare for NVC when they request I-864 fee, and Visa fee, as well as documents requested by NVC. In many cases the CR-1 petition reaches the consulate just before K-3 interview, which causes K-3 to get dropped and the interview becomes a CR-1 visa interview.

K-3:

I-129F: NONE

Consulate: $131

AOS: $1010

($1496)

CR-1

NVC I-864: $70

NVC Visa fee: $400 ($355+$45)

($825)

I see many posts from K-3 holders stating, "Wow this sucks, I am stuck at home because I don't have EAD, DL, etc, or I am having hard time getting added to bank accounts because of NO SSN." K-3 has a 90 day or longer period of limbo while waiting for EAD or Green-card.

K-3 was developed at a time when CR-1 was taking much longer that today, NVC has greatly streamlined the CR-1 process to the point where K-3 becomes irrelevant.

That's not always the case. It all depends on the consulate. In Oct when my wife was given a Nov K3 interview, CR 1 interviews were fully booked for the year.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.