TayL

American Manners vs. Canadian Manners

30 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

This kind of stems from the whole shoes debate in the rant, which I've been following. My fiancé is officially coming up to meet my parents in February. Which is awesome and also scary. But I get him for my birthday, so it's mostly awesome. My parents are a bit judgemental about my friends' manners and they have been very rude to my exes before due to manners. Which is rude unto itself, but a whole other story.

So I'm wondering if it's just the shoes (ie: the majority of Americans seem to not remove their shoes upon entering the house), or if there are other things to warn him about that seem so normal to me as a Canadian that I would never even consider telling him. I know he was seriously weirded out by the shoes thing.

Have you noticed things that are different that Americans do than Canadians that are not considered impolite in the US, but would be in Canada? Yes, I know manners can be *very* regional, so feel free to say if you've noticed something even in a region as opposed to the whole country. (My fiancé's from Texas) He wants to set a good impression with my parents and I want him to as well, so any help would be appreciated and you guys seem like the best folks to ask (I've toyed with the idea of asking every forum I'm on, but in all but here the Canadians stay in Canada and the Americans stay in America!

Help?

March 13, 2009--Visa application handed to the post office.

March 16, 2009--Visa application received by Vermont Service Centre at 11:01 am. Let's hope that he actually put in everything he thought he did and they don't send it back to us!!

March 23, 2009--Got the whole package back. The cheque was apparently filled out incorrectly, thanks to the fact that his moronic flatmates helped him and instructed him wrong for the first cheque he ever filled out.

March 30, 2009--NOA1

August 12, 2009--Touched

September 1, 2009, received Package 1 from Montreal--but where is our NOA2???

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Besides the shoes thing, HATS off at the dinner table!! It's common at home to take your hat off at dinner and/or in a restaurant, but here it seems different, people where their baseball caps at the dinner table or in restaurants which I find to be a bit rude!

Edited by JillA

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

From my travels back and forth, I haven't noticed much difference, apart from the shoes thing. I was raised to always say please and thank you, and sir and ma'am. To be honest, I didn't think the shoes thing was a regional thing. I just figured it was my fiance's family. It was a bit odd for me at first, but I got used to it. Nobody wants to get their carpets dirty I suppose. It was just a bit odd because growing up, the only people that I knew that had the shoe requirement were my Asian and Middle Eastern friends.

Timeline

Ooooh... there's another one I noticed (Trailmix reminded me).

For some reason, Americans don't seem to know the meaning of the word "pardon." As in, you say something and the person you're speaking to misses part of it. They look at you and go "HUH???" or "What?" I was brought up to understand that the correct response meaning "I'm sorry, I didn't catch that" was "Pardon." Kori laughs at me because he's never heard anyone use it before. (I'm mildly hearing impaired, so I say that a lot.)

March 16, 2009--Visa application received by Vermont Service Centre at 11:01 am. Let's hope that he actually put in everything he thought he did and they don't send it back to us!!

March 23, 2009--Got the whole package back. The cheque was apparently filled out incorrectly, thanks to the fact that his moronic flatmates helped him and instructed him wrong for the first cheque he ever filled out.

March 30, 2009--NOA1

August 12, 2009--Touched

Timeline
Ooooh... there's another one I noticed (Trailmix reminded me).

For some reason, Americans don't seem to know the meaning of the word "pardon." As in, you say something and the person you're speaking to misses part of it. They look at you and go "HUH???" or "What?" I was brought up to understand that the correct response meaning "I'm sorry, I didn't catch that" was "Pardon." Kori laughs at me because he's never heard anyone use it before. (I'm mildly hearing impaired, so I say that a lot.)

I noticed pardon is a Canadian thing too, my fiance makes fun of when when I say that. I've reverted to saying, "sorry?" or "sorry what was that?" instead.

I also think the 'uh huh' thing is annoying, but I don't necessarily find it rude.

Those were the only two differences that I've found.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline

Apart from the shoe thing, my USC husband is much more polite than my Canadian family! :P I know that sounds funny, but it's very true. When he met my parents, and then my grandparents, both times he refused to go to the house until he had picked up gifts for them each individually. I was very surprised! (Pleasantly though!)

October 2006- Met Taktyx playing the World of Warcraft

I-129F

September 26, 2007- I-129F Package sent by courier to CSC

September 28, 2007- Received at CSC

October 29, 2007- NOA1 hardcopy arrives!

February 5, 2008- NOA2!

April 23, 2008- Medical

April 22, 2008- Interview!

April 26, 2008- POE Edmonton

June 5, 2008- Legal wedding

October 11, 2008- Wedding ceremony with family

AOS

December 6, 2008- AOS package mailed

December 8, 2008- Package received

December 15, 2008- Check cashed! WOOHOO!

December 22, 2008- All 3 NOA1's received

January 5, 2009- I-485 transferred to CSC. Here's hoping for no interview!

January 14, 2009- Biometrics

February 23, 2009- EAD and AP received in the mail, dated Feb 14th.

April 23, 2009- Welcome to the United States Letter arrives. Card to follow.

June 1, 2009- GC received in mail. Approval date 04/09/09

Done with USCIS until 04/2011!

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
This kind of stems from the whole shoes debate in the rant, which I've been following. My fiancé is officially coming up to meet my parents in February. Which is awesome and also scary. But I get him for my birthday, so it's mostly awesome. My parents are a bit judgemental about my friends' manners and they have been very rude to my exes before due to manners. Which is rude unto itself, but a whole other story.

So I'm wondering if it's just the shoes (ie: the majority of Americans seem to not remove their shoes upon entering the house), or if there are other things to warn him about that seem so normal to me as a Canadian that I would never even consider telling him. I know he was seriously weirded out by the shoes thing.

Have you noticed things that are different that Americans do than Canadians that are not considered impolite in the US, but would be in Canada? Yes, I know manners can be *very* regional, so feel free to say if you've noticed something even in a region as opposed to the whole country. (My fiancé's from Texas) He wants to set a good impression with my parents and I want him to as well, so any help would be appreciated and you guys seem like the best folks to ask (I've toyed with the idea of asking every forum I'm on, but in all but here the Canadians stay in Canada and the Americans stay in America!

Help?

Hi TAYL,

WEll, in case no one has mentioned this yet.. Americans and I am one, and do this.. talk loud.

I am from the New England area and my fiance is in Canada.. Yes, I take off my shoes now everytime I visit him.. but I do talk loud.. something to remember..

good luck

Cindy

Cindy

Timeline

Fortunately, my family is used to loud talkers. Mum's loud and, because of my hearing, I tend to be loud, too. They have no qualms about reminding people about voices and it's not a big deal in my family. My stepdad gets kinda grumpy, but it's normal here for everyone to be loud. My family has to be louder so I hear them properly (I don't have hearing aids because my hearing isn't *that* bad, and I'm functional without them) when they're giving me instructions, I'm louder because I don't hear things right. But that *is* good to know. ^_^

March 30, 2009--NOA1

August 12, 2009--Touched

Besides the shoes thing, HATS off at the dinner table!! It's common at home to take your hat off at dinner and/or in a restaurant, but here it seems different, people where their baseball caps at the dinner table or in restaurants which I find to be a bit rude!

I'm the USC and this drives me nuts! We were raised better than that in my family. All of my brothers take off their hat when sitting at the dinner table or when being introduced to someone.

On the shoes thing, I thought this was just my fiance's family, too! I only know one or two families who do this in the USC. Dennis has gotten me in the habit of taking my shoes off at the door now, too. At least I always know where they are! :D

I definitely think "pardon" is regional in the US. I say it, too and get funny looks.

One thing I noticed while I was in Winnipeg, I'm not sure I'd count it under "manners" exactly...but I got a few funny looks when I asked where the "bathroom" was. My husband gets the same funny looks here in the US when he asks for the "washroom".

I asked my husband and he said that he hasn't really noticed any distinct differences in manners.

See my timeline for my K-1 and AOS/EAD/AP details.

ROC

April 1, 2011-Packet sent, back to the grind!

April 2, 2011-USPS confirms delivery to CSC

April 18, 2011-Received biometrics letter

May 5, 2011-Biometrics appointment, quick and easy

June 16, 2011-Card production ordered!

June 24, 2011-Card received

CRW_7744web-1-1.jpg

My wonderful little family: Dennis, Andrea, and Malcolm

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm the USC and this drives me nuts! We were raised better than that in my family. All of my brothers take off their hat when sitting at the dinner table or when being introduced to someone.

On the shoes thing, I thought this was just my fiance's family, too! I only know one or two families who do this in the USC. Dennis has gotten me in the habit of taking my shoes off at the door now, too. At least I always know where they are! :D

I definitely think "pardon" is regional in the US. I say it, too and get funny looks.

One thing I noticed while I was in Winnipeg, I'm not sure I'd count it under "manners" exactly...but I got a few funny looks when I asked where the "bathroom" was. My husband gets the same funny looks here in the US when he asks for the "washroom".

I asked my husband and he said that he hasn't really noticed any distinct differences in manners.

LOL I thought I was the only one getting funny looks when I ask where the washroom is.... they say "do you mean bathroom?" :lol:

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

LMAO!!! I totally hear you on the shoe thing... my fiance and stepson are constantly being asked to remove their shoes in the house by me... I just can't stand the dirt or wear & tear on the flooring!

qSIFm7.png

USCIS: 175 Days

NVC: 41 Days

NOA1 to Interview: 265 Days

Interview: 20 March 2012 - APPROVED

NVC for Montreal Beneficiaries – Electronic Processing and New Online Forms Guide by Saylin

Please edit your timeline in your profile so you can help others learn how long each step of this process takes. Thanks!

Timeline

Oh! I've also gotten strange looks at restaurants down here when I asked them to pack up leftovers. Down here I find that at most places they bring you the to go container and you do it yourself! Boy was I embarassed the first time I handed a server my plate and asked them to pack it to go. He proceeded to put my plate back down and said "I'll bring you a box." :P

October 2006- Met Taktyx playing the World of Warcraft

I-129F

September 26, 2007- I-129F Package sent by courier to CSC

September 28, 2007- Received at CSC

October 29, 2007- NOA1 hardcopy arrives!

February 5, 2008- NOA2!

April 23, 2008- Medical

April 22, 2008- Interview!

April 26, 2008- POE Edmonton

June 5, 2008- Legal wedding

October 11, 2008- Wedding ceremony with family

AOS

December 6, 2008- AOS package mailed

December 8, 2008- Package received

December 15, 2008- Check cashed! WOOHOO!

December 22, 2008- All 3 NOA1's received

January 5, 2009- I-485 transferred to CSC. Here's hoping for no interview!

January 14, 2009- Biometrics

February 23, 2009- EAD and AP received in the mail, dated Feb 14th.

April 23, 2009- Welcome to the United States Letter arrives. Card to follow.

June 1, 2009- GC received in mail. Approval date 04/09/09

Done with USCIS until 04/2011!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.