manmiles

Student Loan

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

It shouldn't, although you will still have to make arrangements to continue paying it off. That isn't something that will likely come up with USCIS, however.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

I've a rather nice student loan in the UK thanks to my wanting to have an education. Will this affect my chances of getting the visa?

No it shouldnt affect anything.. The financial responsibility falls to the sponsor (your husband/wife), it is their

financial situation that they will be interested in. (This is unless you are using assets to meet the minimum poverty guideline)

Nope, doesn't effect you at all. I have a little bit of student loan debt in the UK, too. But I called them before I left and they sent me a form to change my address to my US one (I think you are required to let them know you're leaving the country), then I got a letter over in the US that if I recall correctly, basically said to let them know when I start working again. So I'd give them a call.

Or leave it unpaid .... they wont be able to find you!

LONDON TO CALIFORNIA ....

K1

May 5th 05 - K1 petition sent to CSC

August 23rd 05 - Visa Approved!!!

AOS and EAD

December 5th 05 - AOS and EAD sent

December 16th 05 - NOA's received for both AOS and EAD

December 31st 05 - Receive letter for AOS interview

February 6th 06 - AOS Interview - APPROVED

February 16th 06 - Biometrics Appointment

February 22nd 06 - EAD Approved via e mail

February 27th 06 - EAD card in mail!!!

March 6th 06 - Got a job!

March 17th 06 - Green Card Approval via e mail

March 18th 06 - 'Welcome to America' letter arrives

March 24th 06 - Green Card Arrives!

"Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world.

For indeed, that's all who ever have."

Filed: Timeline

Nope does not effect your visa or student loan at all, if possible try to pay some of it off before you come to America, I know some people do not and good luck to those people, I had a little credit card bill but my kind husband paid it for me and I have no debts left in the UK. It is possible to pay your debts from the USA, they have free international money transfers at some banks, I know our bank does this. Good Luck with the process.

Janice

3dflagsdotcom_us_wa_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_ukeng_2fawm.gif

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Nope does not effect your visa or student loan at all, if possible try to pay some of it off before you come to America, I know some people do not and good luck to those people, I had a little credit card bill but my kind husband paid it for me and I have no debts left in the UK. It is possible to pay your debts from the USA, they have free international money transfers at some banks, I know our bank does this. Good Luck with the process.

Janice

I've been bad and havent paid any of mine off and havent told them that I've left the country. :devil: Not really from trying to evade it but from having other more pressing things to think about. ie - getting married!!

So, nope. No body to do with immigration has any idea about it. No need to worry!!

P.S I do intend to start paying mine off once I get a job. :thumbs:

I-130 For Both Parents

10/10/09 - Mailed both I-130 applications

10/13/09 - Received at Chicago Lockbox

10/20/09 - NOA1 Issued

10/21/09 - Checks Cashed

10/26/09 - NOA1 Received

02/19/10 - Approved - email notice

NVC

02/22/10 - Received at NVC

02/23/10 - Assigned Case Numbers for both applications

02/23/10 - Registered email addresses with case numbers

02/24/10 - Received emails for AOS Bill $70 & DS 3032 Choice of Agent form

02/25/10 - Paid AOS Bill

02/26/10 - Sent DS-3032 priority mail

02/28/10 - Emailed DS-3032

03/01/10 - Sent I-864 priority mail

03/03/10 - DS-3032 accepted by NVC - email notification

03/03/10 - Paid IV Bill for both parents

03/11/10 - IV Bill finally shows as PAID

03/11/10 - Mailed DS-230

03/17/10 - RFE notification mailed out per AVR - It was a false one - for the DS-230

03/19/10 - AVR changed from RFE to Checklist Response received (they received the DS-230)

03/29/10 - RFE - Q.30 on DS-230 for Step dad

03/30/10 - Log in failed for mum's case

04/01/10 - Mailed RFE

04/09/10 - AVR changed from RFE to Checklist response received

04/16/10 - Log in failed for step dad's case

04/16/10 - AVR case complete

04/29/10 - Interview Assigned for 15th June for both parents

06/01/10 - Medical Appointment

06/15/10 - Interview

• 1 year later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Does the Student loans company have any way of coming after you when you get to America? I have a few years worth of student loans from them and am moving over to USA in a few months...Im just wondering what will happen if i *forget* to let them know i will be moving!

June 20th 2007.....I-129f Sent to CSC!

July 7th 2007....NOA1

November 8th....NOA2

December 8th.....Packet 3 Received (Sent back 10th)

January 8th.....Packet 4 Received

January 16th.....Interview in London

January 20th....Flight to AZ via JFK, received temp EAD

February 29th...Civil Ceremony

March 10th...I485, I765 & I131 sent to Chicago

March 22nd....Received NOA for I485, I131 & I765 (All dated March 18th)

March 24th....Received Biometrics Appointment Letter (dated March 20th)

April 7th...Request for Initial Evidence for I485 (Received in MO on the 10th)

April 9th....Biometrics Appointment

May 30th...EAD Card Production Ordered and AP Approved

June 7th....Wedding!!

June 13th...EAD Card & AP in hand

September 22nd...AOS Interview - APPROVED!

Nov 21st...Card Production Ordered!

Nov 22nd...Welcome to America Letter Received

Nov 29th 2008...Green Card Received!!!

Aug 20th 2010...Mailed I-751 to CSC

Aug 23rd...Check Cashed

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
Does the Student loans company have any way of coming after you when you get to America? I have a few years worth of student loans from them and am moving over to USA in a few months...Im just wondering what will happen if i *forget* to let them know i will be moving!

I'm in the exact same situation as you. Just worried that if I forget, SLC might come knocking on my parent's door- though I suppose that since the loan's in my name then they can't give my parents grief, can they? I suppose that if they eventually do get in contact with me when I move to the states, then the pound/dollar conversion rate will work highly in our favour and result in a lower percentage payback rate :)

My K1 Timeline

06 09 2007 I-129F sent to VSC

08 09 2007 I-129F received by VSC

11 09 2007 NOA1

13 09 2007 Check cashed

16 01 2008 NOA2 (126 days since NOA1)

31 01 2008 Packet 3 received

06 03 2008 Packet 3 sent to Embassy (I took my sweet time gathering documents)

14 03 2008 Packet 4 Received

09 04 2008 Interview APPROVED

18 04 2008 Visa in hand :0)

22 07 2008 POE JFK (EAD stamp given without even asking)

02 08 2008 Wedding

AOS

18 08 2008 AOS sent

21 08 2008 AOS received at Chicago lock box

11 09 2008 Biometrics

25 09 2008 Case transfered to CSC

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.