32 posts in this topic

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
Eid Mubarak!!!

No plans for anything special here. I have to work all day tomorrow and I believe my husband does as well.

Karmella...explain fattah and basboosa....maybe I know these dishes but don't remember the name.

Have a wonderful holiday everybody!!!

Salam,

Tasha

Usama said last night that he wanted fattah but I have no clue how to make it. He said he'd make it but then left for work this morning before I could ask what goes into it since I went food shopping. Oh well. The kids hate lamb so I made chicken noodle soup and a lasagna. Poor hubby broke his fast at work but should be home soon.

eid mubarak!

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Filed: Other Timeline
(F) I hope you feel better HLM .... i might start to feel guilty the sun is shining outside and i ask my son if its cold lol....... 65 -70 degrees

Met husband July 2005

Married August 2006

Interview for CR-1 Scheduled for December 2007

Administrative Process

Husband was instructed to send passport, new medical, police certificate 02-08-09

VISA IN HAND Feb. 19, 2009 * AP lasted 1 year and 51 days*

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

Fattah is the MAIN EID DISH in Egypt. First of all we don't have the "fattah" bread here so you can't make it authentically.... But if you want to try to make something that is kind of like the real deal you can do the following:

Fry broken pieces of about 8 big pieces of pocket bread in some oil and butter until crispy. (think croutons) Set these aside...

Boil some meat (my hubby likes beef) in a pot of water until it's chewable... (this is the Egyptian way... personally I'll be braising my beef until it's tender after sauteing some onions and garlic in the pan and browning the beef)...

Set aside the beef and it's "soup"... and keep it warm while you make some rice... (plain white rice...) If you're using Egyptian rice remember the ratio is one to one... (rice and water).

The sauce for fattah is sauted garlic with 2 T. of tomato paste and 1/2 cup water and 1/2 cup vinegar.

You soften the bread with the beef broth (soup)... and put it in a casserole dish. Spread a layer of rice, then sprinkle with some of the sauce... put it in the oven for 10 minutes to heat through, then bring it out and add the chunks of meat and some more sauce.. put the remaining sauce in a dish on the side. If you have any soup left you can serve it in bowls too.

I'll post the recipe for basboosa later...

Happy Eating!

K

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
Fattah is the MAIN EID DISH in Egypt. First of all we don't have the "fattah" bread here so you can't make it authentically.... But if you want to try to make something that is kind of like the real deal you can do the following:

Fry broken pieces of about 8 big pieces of pocket bread in some oil and butter until crispy. (think croutons) Set these aside...

Boil some meat (my hubby likes beef) in a pot of water until it's chewable... (this is the Egyptian way... personally I'll be braising my beef until it's tender after sauteing some onions and garlic in the pan and browning the beef)...

Set aside the beef and it's "soup"... and keep it warm while you make some rice... (plain white rice...) If you're using Egyptian rice remember the ratio is one to one... (rice and water).

The sauce for fattah is sauted garlic with 2 T. of tomato paste and 1/2 cup water and 1/2 cup vinegar.

You soften the bread with the beef broth (soup)... and put it in a casserole dish. Spread a layer of rice, then sprinkle with some of the sauce... put it in the oven for 10 minutes to heat through, then bring it out and add the chunks of meat and some more sauce.. put the remaining sauce in a dish on the side. If you have any soup left you can serve it in bowls too.

Happy Eating!

K

:thumbs:

Its sounds so yum when u re explaining it...... i only ate this dish when i grew older i never liked it before. but yes its the esp. eid dish.

lyrics.jpg

Filed: Timeline
Great story K. Waleed and I got married on EID eve in 2006. I remember those puddles of blood and I know what you mean by the smell of death. :wacko:

I got islamically married in eid 2006. I remember going to the front door and opening it and a sheep walked by in the family room . the smell I remember wasnt exactly blood....lol

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

Happy Eating!

K

Its sounds so yum when u re explaining it...... i only ate this dish when i grew older i never liked it before. but yes its the esp. eid dish.

Truth be told I can't stand it to this day..... but I am not the cook so I can't control the outcome when I'm in Egypt... here I'm going to spice it up a bit and hope H doesn't have a fit... (this isn't REAL!!!!)

I also just finished a HUGE batch of falafel "mix".... my poor food processor smells like it just did the Indy 500! We'll have REAL falafel for breakfast in the morning and I'm willing to bet we have a late night falafel snack tonight from the look in H's eye.. ;)

As promised Tasha, here's the Baboosa recipe (also known as Harissa in Cairo)...

Syrup Ingredients

2 1/4 cups sugar

1 1/2 cups water

juice from 1 lemon or a big spoon of rose water or orange blossom water whatever you like best

1 teaspoon honey(optional)

Cinnamon stick or whole cloves (optional)

------------------------------------

Cake Ingredinets

2 cups semolina or farina (cream of wheat)

1 cup sugar

1 stick butter, softened

1 cup whole milk or a carton of plain or vanilla yogurt to be more authentic

1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 tablespoon baking powder

1 tablespoon baking soda

2 eggs

blanched split almonds

whipped cream (optional)

Preparation:

Prepare syrup first. Dissolve sugar in water in a medium saucepan. Add lemon juice and bring to a boil. Once the syrup begins to boil, add in honey. Reduce heat and allow to slowly boil for about 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease and flour a 9x13 baking dish.

Cream together butter and sugar in a mixing bowl. Add eggs and vanilla.

In a separate bowl, combine semolina, baking powder, and baking soda. Slowly add to butter and egg mixture. Stir in milk.

Pour mixture into baking dish and smooth with spoon.

Take a butter knife and make diagonal lines from left to right and complete to make diamond shapes. Place an almond in the center of each diamond. Bake for 25 minutes.

Remove cake from oven and pour syrup over cake until no more can be absorbed. Allow to cool for 20 minutes.

basbousa.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Our new kitty sends Eid greetings to the VJ family as she sits on my lap and gives me this look that says you should be petting me instead of typing dang it! No name yet, just a bunch of kitty love.

100_1252.jpg

For those who want to know more, check out my blog. I won't clog up VJ with my endless cat prattle :whistle:

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Happy Eating!

K

Truth be told I can't stand it to this day..... but I am not the cook so I can't control the outcome when I'm in Egypt... here I'm going to spice it up a bit and hope H doesn't have a fit... (this isn't REAL!!!!)

I also just finished a HUGE batch of falafel "mix".... my poor food processor smells like it just did the Indy 500! We'll have REAL falafel for breakfast in the morning and I'm willing to bet we have a late night falafel snack tonight from the look in H's eye.. ;)

As promised Tasha, here's the Baboosa recipe (also known as Harissa in Cairo)...

Syrup Ingredients

2 1/4 cups sugar

1 1/2 cups water

juice from 1 lemon or a big spoon of rose water or orange blossom water whatever you like best

1 teaspoon honey(optional)

Cinnamon stick or whole cloves (optional)

------------------------------------

Cake Ingredinets

2 cups semolina or farina (cream of wheat)

1 cup sugar

1 stick butter, softened

1 cup whole milk or a carton of plain or vanilla yogurt to be more authentic

1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 tablespoon baking powder

1 tablespoon baking soda

2 eggs

blanched split almonds

whipped cream (optional)

Preparation:

Prepare syrup first. Dissolve sugar in water in a medium saucepan. Add lemon juice and bring to a boil. Once the syrup begins to boil, add in honey. Reduce heat and allow to slowly boil for about 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease and flour a 9x13 baking dish.

Cream together butter and sugar in a mixing bowl. Add eggs and vanilla.

In a separate bowl, combine semolina, baking powder, and baking soda. Slowly add to butter and egg mixture. Stir in milk.

Pour mixture into baking dish and smooth with spoon.

Take a butter knife and make diagonal lines from left to right and complete to make diamond shapes. Place an almond in the center of each diamond. Bake for 25 minutes.

Remove cake from oven and pour syrup over cake until no more can be absorbed. Allow to cool for 20 minutes.

basbousa.jpg

Thanks sweetie pie!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.