nick-maricel

filing SSN

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My husband and I went to SSA office yesterday here in Ohio, we brought everything, marriage license and contract, we even had hard copy of guidelines for K-1 applying for SSN etc etc.. we've been reading all about it and some possible problems that we might encounter in SSA office. The employee and even the manager said that I cannot get an SSN because I'm a K-1, we insisted that I can apply for it, so they ask for our marriage contract and then they said, "Ah ok since you're already married, you can now apply for it but if you're not and you don't have marriage contract then you're not allowed" We told them "how come some of my friends in other states who are also K-1 status was able to get one even before marriage, oh maybe it's different for every state.." hehe I made fun with them coz obviously it should be all the same right. hhmm.. It's just so funny that they really don't know their job or not familiarize with all kinds of applicants/status who can or cannot apply for SSN.. But we're done with it coz we really didnt leave the office until we get what we wanted and had it in my married name..

Thanks to VJ! and also thanks to Ann&Andrew, Jack&Anais for giving me other infos... :)

..ANGELS..

2008-Jan-29 : I-129F Sent

2008-June-26 : Letter from Embassy

2008-July-10 : Medical

2008-Aug-04 : Interview Date

2008-Sept-18 : Visa Received

2008-Oct-11 : US Entry

POE : JFK New York

Got EAD Stamp on I-94 valid until 2009-Jan-09

2008-Nov-21 : Civil Wedding

2008-Dec-05 : Filed SSN

2008-Dec-12 : SSN Card Received thru mail

2008-Dec-16 : AOS Packet Sent to USCIS Chicago, IL via USPS (I-485 & EAD)

2008-Dec-18 : AOS Packet delivered to Chicago, IL (I-485 and EAD)

2008-Dec-23 : Check cashed

2008-Dec-29 : Received NOA (I-485 & EAD)

2009-Jan-02 : Received Appointment Notice

2009-Jan-14 : Biometrics Appointment (Done)

2009-Jan-30 : Received Transfer Letter (from Chicago to California)

2009-Mar-04 : Received EAD card thru mail

2009-Mar-25: Got a job :)

2009-Apr-24 : Received Welcome Letter

2009-Apr-24: Received 2-year Green Card thru mail :)

***LIFTING OF CONDITIONS : 2011-APRIL-13***

1_880027260l.jpg

Visit My Website

Yeah, sometimes it happened coz of some employee who are not well informed of the immigration process. It's good that at last you did it. My SSS card before arrived 1 week after my application. Hope yours as well. Congratulations.

"Love with all your heart and soul."

This is exactly why I always advise folks to get the SS Card as soon as you can - before getting married - and be done with it. It always seems to complicate matters when folks want to get the card in their married name. I realize for some, having the card in their married name is an important milestone but in reality having the number/card is much more important than the name on it.

The green card will come soon enough and then people can go back and get both the name and the "Valid for Worth Only With DHS Authorization" notation changed. :thumbs:

I am in Ohio as well and my wife and child will be arriving in April...but....

Where in Ohio are you? and how long did they say it would be before you recieved your card? or did you leave the office with card in hand?

Just want to be prepared for when they get here.

05-21-06 - Met online

12-29-07 - Married at 6pm THE LAST TIME I'LL FALL IN LOVE

07-28-08 - Mailed I-130(Chicago, $355 X 2)

07-31-08 - NOA1(I-130 recieved in Chicago)

08-01-08 - Hard copy NOA1 (I recieved the NOA1 via mail)

08-25-08 - Hard copy NOA2(I-130 approved and recieved by me)

08-27-08 - NVC assigns case number(verified via telephone call)

09-05-08 - Received DS-3032 and AOS bill(checked by phone and noted on travel web site)

09-05-08 - Paid AOS bill online --- pending (paid on-line $70)

09-06-08 - Emailed DS-3032 --- auto response (email that NVC recieved an email from Grace, nothing more)

09-09-08 - AOS bill --- PAID!! (noted on travel web site as "PAID")

09-11-09 - Grace recieved DS-3032s, still no response to the email...(wife got a birthday package from her hubby :) )

09-12-09 - Mailed DS-3032 via FedEx. Also mailed out AOS(paper mailed just to be certain they get one)

09-15-09 - NVC accepts DS-3032..FINALLY!!!(verified via email response and telephone call)

09-15-09 - IV Bill paid online - in process($400 X 2)

09-16-08 - AOS revieced by NVC and being reviewed.(verified via telephone call)

09-17-08 - Immigrant VISA Bill fee "PAID" (verified on-line)

09-24-08 - AOS approved(verified via telephone call)

10-06-08 - DS230 recieved by NVC

10-10-08 - CASE COMPLETED AT NVC

10-29-08 - Appointment Schedule for 12-9-2008(verified by telephone call to NVC)

11-03-08 - Recieved Appointment letter via snail mail

11-25-08 - Medical Exam at St. Lukes Medical Center

12-09-08 - Interview at 630am.......VISAs APPROVED!!

Timeline

We're in Poland, OH. The card will be mailed in about two weeks :)

..ANGELS..

2008-Jan-29 : I-129F Sent

2008-June-26 : Letter from Embassy

2008-July-10 : Medical

2008-Aug-04 : Interview Date

2008-Sept-18 : Visa Received

2008-Oct-11 : US Entry

POE : JFK New York

Got EAD Stamp on I-94 valid until 2009-Jan-09

2008-Nov-21 : Civil Wedding

2008-Dec-05 : Filed SSN

2008-Dec-12 : SSN Card Received thru mail

2008-Dec-16 : AOS Packet Sent to USCIS Chicago, IL via USPS (I-485 & EAD)

2008-Dec-18 : AOS Packet delivered to Chicago, IL (I-485 and EAD)

2008-Dec-23 : Check cashed

2008-Dec-29 : Received NOA (I-485 & EAD)

2009-Jan-02 : Received Appointment Notice

2009-Jan-14 : Biometrics Appointment (Done)

2009-Jan-30 : Received Transfer Letter (from Chicago to California)

2009-Mar-04 : Received EAD card thru mail

2009-Mar-25: Got a job :)

2009-Apr-24 : Received Welcome Letter

2009-Apr-24: Received 2-year Green Card thru mail :)

***LIFTING OF CONDITIONS : 2011-APRIL-13***

1_880027260l.jpg

Visit My Website

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Yes, we also had problems getting Mai a SSN, but our problem was the opposite of the OP's. They claimed that somehow because we were already married, that somehow changed Mai's status magically to K-3 from K-1, and therefore she would need an EAD before she could apply for one.

"If you had come in last week," the fellow said, "before your wedding, I could have helped you out. Now, you must wait for the EAD." I believe this is a misunderstanding of the rules, but since it was totally non-critical that Mai get her number right away, we just waited for the EAD to come.

Timeline
Yes, we also had problems getting Mai a SSN, but our problem was the opposite of the OP's. They claimed that somehow because we were already married, that somehow changed Mai's status magically to K-3 from K-1, and therefore she would need an EAD before she could apply for one.

"If you had come in last week," the fellow said, "before your wedding, I could have helped you out. Now, you must wait for the EAD." I believe this is a misunderstanding of the rules, but since it was totally non-critical that Mai get her number right away, we just waited for the EAD to come.

Hmm that is so BOLA od the SSN number. We got it with K-1 visa all you need to shoe I-94 even other friends got it with k-1 only.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.