swb

DUI Conviction question....

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

Firstly sorry if this is in the wrong area....I'm new!!

I have a Green Card interview coming up in a month (based on family immigration) I got the letter yesterday and read the notice about disclosing any previous DUI's.

I had one 8 years ago in my original country, although the fine was more then $500 I was not technically arrested for it, nor does it show up on a Police Background check in my home country. When I went for my K1 interview in my home country I gave them a copy of the Police search done in my name, it was all clear, then they asked me if I had ever traffic voilations etc and I told them about the previous DUI then they said OK and nothing more was mentioned about it. In other words they have no actual documentation of this occuring.

I am now trying to get my hands on info about this from the court I had to go to but if they cannot provide me with what I need I'm wondering if I can tick NO? I'm assuming if it didn't come up on my Police Background search would immigration even know about it? I'm happy to let immigration here know but I'm worried about the mess it will create if I can't show them anything........has anyone been through this situation?

Anyhow hope that was clear enough,

I'm stressed!! :unsure: Any constructive advice would be greatly appreciated!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline
Firstly sorry if this is in the wrong area....I'm new!!

I have a Green Card interview coming up in a month (based on family immigration) I got the letter yesterday and read the notice about disclosing any previous DUI's.

I had one 8 years ago in my original country, although the fine was more then $500 I was not technically arrested for it, nor does it show up on a Police Background check in my home country. When I went for my K1 interview in my home country I gave them a copy of the Police search done in my name, it was all clear, then they asked me if I had ever traffic voilations etc and I told them about the previous DUI then they said OK and nothing more was mentioned about it. In other words they have no actual documentation of this occuring.

I am now trying to get my hands on info about this from the court I had to go to but if they cannot provide me with what I need I'm wondering if I can tick NO? I'm assuming if it didn't come up on my Police Background search would immigration even know about it? I'm happy to let immigration here know but I'm worried about the mess it will create if I can't show them anything........has anyone been through this situation?

Anyhow hope that was clear enough,

I'm stressed!! :unsure: Any constructive advice would be greatly appreciated!

My advice is to say no, and then bring it up at the interview when you are asked if there is anything else to be discussed. That way you are 100% honest with the govt.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Are you sure you got a DUI? Or was it a different offense where alcohol was a factor?

I'd advise to tell the truth, but be sure what the truth is. Your problem now is that the previous officer may have made a notation that you claimed a DUI of which there was no evidence. I might add an addendum to the sheet explaining it just as you have here.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I think telling the truth is always best. You don't want them to say "oh well, a DUI conviction that you failed to tell us about...what else are you hiding??" and then you are sent back to USCIS for 'further review"

Good luck!

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

Thank you for the replies! :yes:

I did get to speak with an Immigration lawyer today who advised me not to hide anything, so Im going to try and get my hands on something that says I did have a DUI 8 years ago in my former country.

I think to be on the safe side I might take an Immigration Lawyer with me to the interview as this will be the first time USCIS will find out about it (even though I was not jailed or arrested for it).

I really don't know what I am in for as far a lawyer's fees go....I'm guessing I'll have one consultation and one appearence at the interview with me.... anyone got an idea on what is reasonable to pay? :blink:

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: South Africa
Timeline
Thank you for the replies! :yes:

I did get to speak with an Immigration lawyer today who advised me not to hide anything, so Im going to try and get my hands on something that says I did have a DUI 8 years ago in my former country.

I think to be on the safe side I might take an Immigration Lawyer with me to the interview as this will be the first time USCIS will find out about it (even though I was not jailed or arrested for it).

I really don't know what I am in for as far a lawyer's fees go....I'm guessing I'll have one consultation and one appearence at the interview with me.... anyone got an idea on what is reasonable to pay? :blink:

Depends on the attorney entirely,

some will ask you to pay a retainer, most likely around $2000 and then charge you up to $300 an hour + possible extra fees for being out of their office.

Some won't even take your case, considering that you have already done a lot of work yourself.

03/01/2007 - POE - JFK (L-1 Visa)

01/15/2008 - Proposed

03/15/2008 - Married

09/02/2008 - Sent AOS Package (I-130, I-485, I-693)

09/03/2008 - Received - Signed by SMITH

09/04/2008 - Checks deposited

09/10/2008 - Checks cleared ($1010 + $355)

09/12/2008 - 2 NOA's received (I-130, I-485) - Dated 09/08/08

09/16/2008 - Received notice for biometrics appointment on 09/30/2008

09/20/2008 - Biometrics done - Walk in (Orlando) Took 10 minutes

09/22/2008 - I-485 viewable online (pending, of course)

09/30/2008 - Biometrics Appointment (2pm)

12/30/2008 - Received Interview Letter

02/25/2008 - Interview

03/06/2008 - Welcome Letter received (the website will clearly never send me updates!)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.