Necrotica

Ordering a gift from the USA and having it delivered to Canada...

16 posts in this topic

Hi, everyone. Réjean and I want to place an order online for a Christmas gift to be mailed to his brother's place in Québec City for our 3-year-old nephew. I don't know if it's possible for us to do that or not. We really don't want to get a gift here and mail it up there. Shipping would be expensive, plus we're worried about customs tacking on an additional fee to be paid when it's delivered (this happened to Réjean when I mailed him a gift when he still lived in Montréal). Does anyone have any ideas on how to go about this, what websites to order off of, etc.?

Thanks for your help!

08/25/06 - 08/08/07 - K1 timeframe from mailing the petition to the NSC to K1 approval at the Montréal Consulate

08/31/07 - Réjean makes the big move to the USA

09/22/07 - MARRIED!

10/09/07 - Réjean gets his SSN

Adjustment of status:

10/26/07 - Mailed AOS/EAD/AP

11/23/07 - Biometrics appointment

12/14/07 - I-485 transferred to the California Service Center

12/28/07 - EAD approved!

01/07/08 - EAD received

02/08/08 - GREEN CARD APPROVED!!!!!!

02/16/08 - Green card received!

*headdesk*:

01/02/09 - Réjean loses his wallet containing his drivers license, Social Security card, and green card

02/04/09 - Our best friends bail us out by giving us the money to file for the replacement green card!

02/12/09 - E-filed I-90 for the replacement green card along with the $370 filing fee (including biometrics)

02/19/09 - NOA1

02/25/09 - Biometrics appointment

05/01/09 - Replacement green card received

Removal of conditions:

01/07/10: Mailed I-751 packet by overnight mail to the CSC

01/11/10: I-751 packet delivered and signed for

01/19/10: Received NOA1

01/28/10: Biometrics (did walk-in due to Réjean being out on the road on original date of 02/10/10)

02/03/10: APPROVED!!!

02/05/10: Received e-mail from USCIS saying the card production has been ordered

02/06/10: Received letter typed on plain paper from USCIS congratulating Réjean on his removal of conditions approval

02/11/10: Green card received

Hi, everyone. Réjean and I want to place an order online for a Christmas gift to be mailed to his brother's place in Québec City for our 3-year-old nephew. I don't know if it's possible for us to do that or not. We really don't want to get a gift here and mail it up there. Shipping would be expensive, plus we're worried about customs tacking on an additional fee to be paid when it's delivered (this happened to Réjean when I mailed him a gift when he still lived in Montréal). Does anyone have any ideas on how to go about this, what websites to order off of, etc.?

Thanks for your help!

Yes, its all possible but also depends whether the retailer ships to Canada. I also beleive there is a $40 gift exemption as well. Perhaps you can find something on Ebay.

Sly

Funny-quotes-Daffy-Duck.jpg

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

The first gift I sent to Alf when he was still in BC, he had to pay duty fees when it was delivered. :( But for his birthday, I got around all the extra fees and huge shipping costs by buying from Canada. I ordered his gifts from sears.ca and had no problems at all. That might be an option depending on what kind of gifts you're looking for. :thumbs:

Alf & Christy’s Journey

4/05/2005 - I met the love of my life

11/21/2006 - First meeting in person <3 (Alf in Kentucky)

5/21/2007 - Second meeting in person (Alf in Kentucky)

5/30/2007 - First trip to Vancouver! (Christy in Canada)

6/13/2007 - Beautiful, romantic proposal :)

7/26/2007 – Application mailed to VSC

04/07/08 - INTERVIEW!!!! @1pm - APPROVED!! :))

04/09/2008 - Moving day!!

04/10/2008 - Alf will finally be home!

05/31/2008 - Wedding! :)http://www.flickr.com/photos/ctrubenbach

The journey continues...

09/10/2008 - Mailed AOS package

09/16/2008 - NOA1 received (all 3)

09/25/2008 - Biometrics letter

10/02/2008 - Case transferred to CSC

10/09/2008 - Biometrics Appointment

11/26/2008 - EAD Card production ordered/AP approved!! :)

12/04/2008 - AP documents received

12/06/2008 - EAD Card in hand!

12/08/2008 - Applied for SSN

02/10/2009 - Social Security card *finally* received

02/23/2009 - Notice of Welcome Letter sent!! :D

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bermuda
Timeline

Amazon.com is really good for delivering to other countries. You could send children's books or movies to your nephew. I can't remember if they offer gift wrapping services though.

~ Catherine

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Amazon.com is really good for delivering to other countries. You could send children's books or movies to your nephew. I can't remember if they offer gift wrapping services though.

~ Catherine

Amazon.ca might be a better bet for books or movies within Canada.

I also recommend sears.ca - plus they have free shipping on right now :thumbs:

I've had good luck with Sears! This year I'm just buying Visa gift cards and putting them in the Christmas card... then they can buy what they want.

Wisconsin Hunter & A Canadian Beaver

event.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I think the gift has to be above a certain amount before they tack on duty and taxes. We sent all my children and Grandchildren gifts last Xmas and there were no additional charges from Customs. We stuck a $20.00 value figure on the items although several were a bit more

They were sent USPS, all we did was fill out the Customs form telling it's value and what it was and the Post Office stuck it on the package.

I do know that sometimes items shipped with UPS delivery end up with extra charges on the receiving end I've had that experience.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

~ Catherine

The thing to remember about Amazon.com is that while it's usually no problem to mail books or CDs to Canada (which makes Amazon.ca better for this purpose), there is often restrictions on other products. Most of the time it's software or technology that you can't mail. Not always, of course, but that's how it is the majority of the time. You'll also face higher shipping fees if ordering from Amazon.com instead of Amazon.ca, which may figure into the decision. Something neat I discovered is that if you have an Amazon.com account, it will also work with Amazon.ca; however, I don't know if the reverse is true.

It's also done haphazardly. For instance, my wife has been able to order a computer game or two off Amazon.com, but other games she can't. You need to look at the item's information. Of course, when typing in the Canadian address, it'll tell you whether or not you can ship it, too. However, it's easier to simply glance at the info, rather than go through the check out process, only to be disappointed.

Depending on what you're looking for, there is a Canadian version of buy.com as well. I believe it's "http://www.ca.buy.com/" (without the quotes), so you should be able to find a number of items there. Hammacher Schlemmer also ships most items to Canada, but some of their stuff can be very pricey without even considering shipping Another option might be eBay, since many items there are shipped "worldwide" or to North America. It won't matter what version you use --eBay.com or eBey.ca -- since you can see the same products. If you have a PayPal.com account setup with the U.S. or Canada, it should work. Aside from those places, I'd suggest Best Buy as there's a Best Buy Canada division and Future Shop is owned by Best Buy, as well.

If push comes to shove, a gift card always works. It may be a bit impersonal, but this allows the receiving party to get what they wish. I'm sure you can order a gift card from Canada to Canadian stores.

Edited by DeadPoolX

I went to the Zeller/Bay website and ordered my family's gifts. I had to spend 100.00 to get free shipping. It arrived in less than a week in BC. It looks like you can use a Visa or Mastercard. I still have my Bay card. Free shipping until the end of November.

Good luck,

Janet

Edited by carslo

Met online playing pinochle in late Feb or March 2001

Married in San Luis Obispo - July 18, 2008

Sent application CR-1/IR-1 on August 26, 2008 to Chicago lock box

September 4, 2008 - Touch #1

Approval email sent January 5, 2009 after 4 months and 2 days

NVC Journey Begins....

NVC Case officially in AVR - January 13, 2009

DS-3032 / AOS Bill Generated - January 16, 2009

AOS Bill snail mailed - January 24, 2009

Emailed DS-3032 - January 26, 2009

DS-3032 emailed read in NH January 30, 2009

DS-3032 accepted at NVC 0n February 2, 2009 via email

AOS Bill Shows as PAID - February 3, 2009

I-864 Package Generated - March 21, 2009

Mailed I-864 Package - March21, 2009

IV Bill Generated - February 3, 2009

Paid IV Bill - March 6, 2009 - snail mail

IV Bill Show as PAID - March 21, 2009

Mailed IV Package - March 21, 2009

REF - April 1, 2009 - Transfered to a supervisor

Case Completed at NVC - April 7, 2009

Medical completed May 27/09 in Vancouver

Interview Date - June 22 - SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED

POE -Vancouver @ YVR- June 28

Permanent resident card received July 20,2009

Social Security Card arrived August 2, 2009

April 2011 started ROC - May 27 biometrics - July 30 received 10 year green card!

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I just ordered one of these for my sister:

http://www.personalcreations.com/shop/prod...duct_code=11257

I got 2 for my 2 year old nieces for their first Christmas, and this one is for her 3rd daughter for her first. It's an auntie Chrissy tradition :) Luckily also, I found an online confirm code and got 20% off! Go HERE for the codes..They have all kinds, I love that site :)

Completely off topic though, because they don't ship to Canada either, so luckily I was able to send it to BB.

chris4.jpg

"May our love last another day.....and then some"

Filed: Other Timeline

I've never had problems mailing gifts home ever. I just send them USPS and they get delivered.... weirdness.

There's also ample websites for shopping in Canada. If the company you usually buy from is a multi-nationa or bi-national, they'll have a Canadian website with the suffix .ca rather than .com (as mentioned above, use amazon.ca rather than amazon.com; ebay.ca rather than .com etc etc etc...) Plus I'm sure plenty of stores in Montreal that Rejean used to shop at when he lived there also have websites that you can order from and have them ship to your nephew. The Web is World Wide. ;)

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Timeline

I got 2 for my 2 year old nieces for their first Christmas, and this one is for her 3rd daughter for her first. It's an auntie Chrissy tradition :) Luckily also, I found an online confirm code and got 20% off! Go HERE for the codes..They have all kinds, I love that site :)

Completely off topic though, because they don't ship to Canada either, so luckily I was able to send it to BB.

That's a really cute site xtinab :thumbs:

Timeline

Is the site above safe for work viewing??

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Is the site above safe for work viewing??

Yes, it's just personalized gift products.

Timeline

I know!! Just my silly sense of humor!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.