ohmy

Tax Question

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

So I am the CC and my husband, the USC, for the last two years filed head of household!!!! Will that make a difference when we have to send this information into the NVC???????

I have never had a SS#!!!

Not sure exactly where to post this question.

Any responses are appreciated,

Thanks

3493.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
So I am the CC and my husband, the USC, for the last two years filed head of household!!!! Will that make a difference when we have to send this information into the NVC???????

Thanks

You're in the situation exactly like my wife's. I'm USC, she's Canadian resident.

I did apply for the TIN (Tax Identification Number: For W7 submitted along with US1040 tax return) for her.

I filed as head of the household & her as dependent. He can apply the TIN for you now if he has supported you financially.

If you're not in his US1040 tax return, it's ok. As long as, you can show your relationship are genuine by providing enough evidences during interview (pictures, emails, phone record, bank statement, financial supports, children, etc...)

Edited by TVN

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks

HOH is an acceptable tax status category for a married individual with a non-resident alien spouse, who otherwise has one or more qualified dependants. This situation is by a special exception which has been written into the tax law rules.....

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline
You're in the situation exactly like my wife's. I'm USC, she's Canadian resident.

I did apply for the TIN (Tax Identification Number: For W7 submitted along with US1040 tax return) for her.

I filed as head of the household & her as dependent. He can apply the TIN for you now if he has supported you financially.

If you're not in his US1040 tax return, it's ok. As long as, you can show your relationship are genuine by providing enough evidences during interview (pictures, emails, phone record, bank statement, financial supports, children, etc...)

If you are married, you cannot file as head of household. You can only file as MARRIED FILING JOINTLY or MARRIED FILING SEPARATELY. HEAD OF HOUSEHOLD is for single people with dependents. A spouse is never a dependent as they receive a separate exemption right of the top of your qualifying income. A dependent is only someone who you support more than 50% and is not a spouse. Read the instructions that come with the 1040....they are even readable and understandable.

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I think you need to read the instructions.. With the IRS, there are virtually exceptions to just about anything...

Nonresident alien spouse. You are considered unmarried for head of household purposes if your spouse was a nonresident alien at any time during the year and you do not choose to treat your nonresident spouse as a resident alien. However, your spouse is not a qualifying person for head of household purposes. You must have another qualifying person and meet the other tests to be eligible to file as a head of household.

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p501/ar02.html#d0e1861

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.