Marlita

Adjustment to the United States

435 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I like that story Claire...about the bedroom. Its so interesting to hear what people think and feel and go thru once their SO gets here. It is not all strawberries and rose petals. Me and Evan have not had any major issues since he's been here...he's just lonely. Misses having good friends and family that he can just walk up the street to hang with. He always talks about meeting friends here and how he doesnt see anyone he'd like to be friends with. He's only been here going on 4 weeks so I told him he'll make lots of friends when he starts working and going to school. he's very personable and can talk to anyone, but most of us know that majority of American culture is closed off and not to receptive to strangers. Its very much like that in my city...big city solidarity attitude. I have the same problem and I've lived here all my life.

Other than that he is doing well. His main focus is finding a job, or class, or volunteer program so he can get busy. Staying at home in a quiet neigborhood can be very boring.

PUSH!: Pray Until Something Happens!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hi Ladies!

Well, Neil is adjusting very well so far, and has a child-like interest in everything he sees. We are having the best, most romantic time of our lives and are enjoying the last few weeks before the baby is born and our twosome becomes a threesome..honestly, it is better than I imagined.

some hard adjustments so far have been his digestion...everything seems to upset his stomach. I think it is the combination of the stress of a new environment as well as strange food.

Also he is cold...

He loves "on demand" cable though!

We are getting married Thursday! Can't wait to be his wife!

Oh, and I have noticed his bath water is dirty too...he took four baths a day in Jamaica so this is weird...I think the dryer climate is just causing him to lose a layer or two of skin cells...just a theory

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Hi Ladies!

Well, Neil is adjusting very well so far, and has a child-like interest in everything he sees. We are having the best, most romantic time of our lives and are enjoying the last few weeks before the baby is born and our twosome becomes a threesome..honestly, it is better than I imagined.

some hard adjustments so far have been his digestion...everything seems to upset his stomach. I think it is the combination of the stress of a new environment as well as strange food.

Also he is cold...

He loves "on demand" cable though!

We are getting married Thursday! Can't wait to be his wife!

Oh, and I have noticed his bath water is dirty too...he took four baths a day in Jamaica so this is weird...I think the dryer climate is just causing him to lose a layer or two of skin cells...just a theory

I always thought it was sand embedded in his skin.

Ha......that On Demand fascination does not go away. Especially since there are TV shows there too!

Happy Wedding!

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Timeline
Lance and I haven't even filed yet (2 more months!!! :dance: ) but I just wanted to say thank you to those who share your experiences. I'm a private person so I know how hard it must be to tell people about your personal life. I've learned alot from any of you and most times I've been exposed to issues and topics that i never even thought about. :luv:

- Marie

I want to second what Marie said. I'm sorry that there are people who chose to "bash" or judge others - but I'm very thankful that you guys move beyond that and are still willing to share with it. It truly does help us coming along behind you!! (F)

What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger....

Timeline
WTH..why is their bath water soo much more dirty? don't get that

It was only at first, Kimmy. I couldn't figure it out either. Had I not seen it with my own eyes, I'm not sure I would've believed.

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
WTH..why is their bath water soo much more dirty? don't get that

A won't take a "bath" to save his life...even when he had chicken pox and I told him to put oatmeal in the water to relieve the itch. It is a shower all the way, or if water is not running, he will go to the river. So, I can't speak on his water being dirtier. I know that I felt a lot "cleaner" when I got home after staying in "country" for two weeks with no running water...and bathing from a huge bucket.

0insijou.png

According to God's favor...Happily married on 09~09~09

See "Our Story" for K-1 timeline

~AOS Timeline~

Nov 28, 2009 ~~ Mailed off Packet

Dec 01, 2009 ~~ Delivered to Chicago Lockbox and signed for by "L. Box"

Dec 07, 2009 ~~ Check Cashed!

Dec 12, 2009 ~~ All 3 NOA1s received in the mail (dated 12/7/09)

Dec 17, 2009 ~~ InfoPass appointment (Emergency AP granted)

Dec 28, 2009 ~~ Biometric Letter arrived (dated 12/15/09)

Dec 28, 2009 ~~ RFE for I-693 (dated 12/22/09)

Jan 11, 2010 ~~ Completed Biometrics

Jan 14, 2010 ~~ Sent I-693 in sealed envelope via US Priority Mail

Jan 19, 2010 ~~ Reply to RFE delivered to Lee's Summit, MO @ 5:03 PM signed for by "C BUCHHOLZ"

Jan 20, 2010 ~~ USCIS acknowledged receipt of RFE on I-485 only

Jan 22, 2010 ~~ I-131 AP and I-765 EAD approved (email notice on 1/25/10)

Jan 28, 2010 ~~ USCIS email that I-485 was transferred to CSC on 1/26/10

Jan 30, 2010 ~~ Received EAD and AP via US Postal Service

Feb 01, 2010 ~~ Received notification of case transfer via USPS

May 07, 2010 ~~ Email notification that card production ordered for 1-485

Jun 01, 2010 ~~ Greencard finally arrives w/approval date 2/23/10 (Huh??)

Done until November 25, 2011!!!

Timeline

I hear yah JG

Jaws..i feel u on that feeling clean thing :) I HATE THE COUNTRY..especially when there is no running water...

MOTIVATE A CHILD... SUPPORT OPEN ARMS FOR JAMAICA'S FUTURE, INC. WE NEED A BRIGHTER TOMORROW !!!!!!

Filed: Timeline
I hear yah JG

Jaws..i feel u on that feeling clean thing :) I HATE THE COUNTRY..especially when there is no running water...

Jawi babes, u mean you didn't like taking a bath in a washing tub...that's my favorite or in the river (too cold), could have been worse, at a STANDpipe.

********************************************************************************

....when it hurts to look back and you're scared to look ahead LOOK beside you and I'll be there.....

There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore... and who always will.

So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

6002239865101_1_27247687.jpg (cost of the IMMIGRATION PROCESS)

tep aff a mi name

• 1 month later...
Timeline

The thing about this is the adjustment really takes years and years.

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Timeline

oh. here is one about adjusting..

I LOVE MY HUSBAND!!!!!!!!!!!

10-29-07 Overnighted I-130 to VSC

10-30-07 I-1-30 Received

1-17-08 NOA-1

8-6-08 MOVED TO CSC

8-20-08 Approved!

8-25-08 Received at NVC

8-28-08 DS-3032 emailed

9-5-08 Paid AOS bill online

10-8-08 Paid IV bill online

10-17-08 RFE, DS230

10-28-08 CASE COMPLETE!

2-19-09 INTERVIEW 8:30am, APPROVED

Timeline

Do they ever truly adjust?

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.