CJ Vasani

K3 Questions

13 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

1. How long does one have to wait to get the Green Card if the spouse comes to the US on the K-3 visa?

2. Is it possible to convert the K-3 interview into CR1 if all the paperwork is finished in time?

Any insight into this will be deeply appreciated.

Thanks,

CJ Vasani

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

1- if you enter the US with K3 you get the green card by requesting Adjustment of status (in that case your I130 will be retained)

2- If both interviews are ready to schedule you can select the IR one. but you can't count on turning a K3 interview into a IR interview. Seen cases of switch happening when the IR path caught up before the K3 interview.

Log

Wedding 01-2006

USCIS

I-130 NOA1 : 11-20-08 I-130 NOA2 : 05-14-2009

I-129F NOA1 : 12-04-08 I-129F NOA2 : 05-14-2009 Took no action since

NVC

Case number assigned at NVC : 05-18-2009

Case Completed at NVC : 08-03

Interview scheduled: 08-13

Embassy

medical : done 08-17 + pick up 09-08

Interview Date: 09-08-09

Visa received : 09-11-09 valid till 03-10-10

October 10th entered US with Visa Waiver Program for 2 weeks holidays (not usual with visa received!)

had to go through secondary inspections to explain

November 25th entered again US with WVP, officer did not notice my green card visa

left US on dec 28 to avoid meeting the substantial presence test for IRS

Jan 9 2010 entered and activated green card though PHL port of entry

waiting for SSN requested with DS230 and 10 years GC

01-30 received tracking number for GC Welcome issued on 01-27

but not yet SSN

SSN expected by Feb 20 else I might go and ask for one regardless of DS230

GC expected by March 27

Feb 3 2010 update card ordered says to allow for 30 days

Feb 8 2010 update saying approval notice sent

Feb 12 2010 received GC card Permanent resident valid till 2020

Feb 18 2010 went to file ss5 for ssn card as not yet received and center would not find me in ssn files

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: K-3 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I want to avoid K3 interview. However I do not want to withdraw the petition.

Can you request that you only want to pursue the CR1 interview? How would that effect the process?

What pitfalls should I be aware of to avoid having to do a K3 interview?

CR-1

I-130 NOA 1- 3/20/08

I-I30 touched- 3/26/08

I-130 APPROVED NOA2- 12/11/08

Assigned NVC Case Number- 12/15/08

Generate DS-3032- NA

Generate AOS Bill- 12/18/08

E-mail DS-3032- NA

Mail Hard Copy DS-3032- NA

NVC Accept DS-3032- NA

AOS Bill Marked 'Paid'- 12/31/08

Generate IV Bill- 12/18/08

IV Bill Marked "Paid"- 12/31/08

Send AOS Package- 12/31/08

Send IV Pacakge- 12/31/08

NVC Receive AOS Package- 1/2/09

NVC Receive IV Package- 1/2/09

NVC Case Complete- 1/22/09

Wife Completes Medical- 2/7/09

NVC Schedules CR-1 Case- 2/10/09

Wife Submits documents for K-3 Interview- 2/12/09

NVC Sends Case to Mumbai Consulate- 2/18/09

Case arrives in Mumbai- 2/23/09

Consulate confirms willingness to issue CR-1 on K-3 interview date- 2/23/09

Original K-3 interview, but APPROVED for CR-1 as file arrived in time!!- 2/26/09

Original CR-1 Interview, assumed to be cancelled as not necessary- 3/5/09

POE- New York- 3/7/09

K-3

I-129F NOA 1- 4/11/08

I-129F touched- 5/14/08

I-129F APPROVED NOA2- 12/11/08

I-129F Assigned NVC Case Number- 12/15/08

NVC Send Case to Mumbai Consulate- 12/17/08

Consulate Receives Case- 12/20/08

Consulate Send Packet 3- 12/22/08

Wife Send Packet 3 to Consulate- 12/25/08

Consulate Receive Packet 3- 1/2/09

Consulate Schedules Interview, sends Packet 4- 1/2/09

Wife Receives Packet 4, K-3 Leg Complete- 1/13/09

Timeline

Can you request that you only want to pursue the CR1 interview? How would that effect the process?

hey Sanket - I've actually done tons of research on this after posting these questions. It turns out that you may continue with whatever paperwork that comes from the Embassy for the K3 and get to give you an interview date for K3. Hopefully, by that time your CR1 case will be completed and you can call / e-mail the embassy to swap the K3 for CR1 and they will happily oblige.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Greece
Timeline

Counting on that myself...

hey Sanket - I've actually done tons of research on this after posting these questions. It turns out that you may continue with whatever paperwork that comes from the Embassy for the K3 and get to give you an interview date for K3. Hopefully, by that time your CR1 case will be completed and you can call / e-mail the embassy to swap the K3 for CR1 and they will happily oblige.

Timeline

I want to do the same - pursue CR1 instead of K3. I am thinking that we may postpone sending Packet 3 by mail by a week to delay the interview by few days. Hopefully, CR1 process will be done by then and embassy can convert K3 to CR1.

Timeline
I want to do the same - pursue CR1 instead of K3. I am thinking that we may postpone sending Packet 3 by mail by a week to delay the interview by few days. Hopefully, CR1 process will be done by then and embassy can convert K3 to CR1.

I, too, want to go to the I-130 route. As I mentioned in another thread, the I-129F is just a sidekick. I'd appreciate any help on that!

Timeline

certainly doesn't hurt to continue the K3 process to lock in a good early interview date, especially if you have extra copies of the documents they require. this also allows your spouses to get the medical out of the way in advance and there is little left to do for CR1, except pay the stupid courier fee.

Stay tuned...I'll be attempting this very soon. I'll let you know how it works out.

Timeline
certainly doesn't hurt to continue the K3 process to lock in a good early interview date, especially if you have extra copies of the documents they require. this also allows your spouses to get the medical out of the way in advance and there is little left to do for CR1, except pay the stupid courier fee.

Stay tuned...I'll be attempting this very soon. I'll let you know how it works out.

Good deal. Keep us informed and if possible, please bookmark this thread so that we don't have to hunt for your post! LOL

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Good Luck and do keep us posted...

:)

"you fondle my trigger then you blame my gun"

Timeline: 13 month long journey from filing to visa in hand

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

Timeline

From my understanding, we would not be required to submit any documents for the K3 process until the weeks prior to the interview date being set. Is that correct? As I would need all the original documents for the DS-230 package and my wife wouldn't be able to provide any of that

What would happen in the event a K3 interview date is set, and the CR1 process is not complete at the NVC by that time? Do we just request the Consulate to hold the interview until NVC process is complete?

CR-1

I-130 NOA 1- 3/20/08

I-I30 touched- 3/26/08

I-130 APPROVED NOA2- 12/11/08

Assigned NVC Case Number- 12/15/08

Generate DS-3032- NA

Generate AOS Bill- 12/18/08

E-mail DS-3032- NA

Mail Hard Copy DS-3032- NA

NVC Accept DS-3032- NA

AOS Bill Marked 'Paid'- 12/31/08

Generate IV Bill- 12/18/08

IV Bill Marked "Paid"- 12/31/08

Send AOS Package- 12/31/08

Send IV Pacakge- 12/31/08

NVC Receive AOS Package- 1/2/09

NVC Receive IV Package- 1/2/09

NVC Case Complete- 1/22/09

Wife Completes Medical- 2/7/09

NVC Schedules CR-1 Case- 2/10/09

Wife Submits documents for K-3 Interview- 2/12/09

NVC Sends Case to Mumbai Consulate- 2/18/09

Case arrives in Mumbai- 2/23/09

Consulate confirms willingness to issue CR-1 on K-3 interview date- 2/23/09

Original K-3 interview, but APPROVED for CR-1 as file arrived in time!!- 2/26/09

Original CR-1 Interview, assumed to be cancelled as not necessary- 3/5/09

POE- New York- 3/7/09

K-3

I-129F NOA 1- 4/11/08

I-129F touched- 5/14/08

I-129F APPROVED NOA2- 12/11/08

I-129F Assigned NVC Case Number- 12/15/08

NVC Send Case to Mumbai Consulate- 12/17/08

Consulate Receives Case- 12/20/08

Consulate Send Packet 3- 12/22/08

Wife Send Packet 3 to Consulate- 12/25/08

Consulate Receive Packet 3- 1/2/09

Consulate Schedules Interview, sends Packet 4- 1/2/09

Wife Receives Packet 4, K-3 Leg Complete- 1/13/09

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

From my understanding, we would not be required to submit any documents for the K3 process until the weeks prior to the interview date being set. Is that correct? As I would need all the original documents for the DS-230 package and my wife wouldn't be able to provide any of that

What would happen in the event a K3 interview date is set, and the CR1 process is not complete at the NVC by that time? Do we just request the Consulate to hold the interview until NVC process is complete?

NO interview will be set untill you send the all the forms they need when they send you the third pakage. I am holding my third pakage i didn't send anything yet untill the IR1 move on .

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.