54 posts in this topic

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I am not super patriotic so I don't really care.

I can understand that, I don't think of my being Canadian as being part of an allegiance to an actual piece of land or government.

I think of it as wanting to be part of a country of people, where my people went to live many many years ago, for some good reason, that they helped to build up that country so that it would be easier for us.

So being Canadian to me is more about the respect I have for those who blazed those trails :)

It's also about a general belief in Canada that we look out for one another, that makes me want to be part of that group.

Edited by trailmix

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I swore on a bible at my interview and I don't believe in god. I will sit there and pray along with people at thanksgiving too, I am sure I could say that and not feel a single thing in order to gain more rights in the country I live in.

Yes its ridiculous, but I would say it. I would be laughing hysterically in my mind but I'd say it. :D

That's EXACTLY how I feel (and felt at my Oath Ceremony)!!!!!

I think it's sad that we Canadians have to do this, when Americans don't have to do the same in Canada.

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm so relieved to see that other people say that they didn't want to go to the US...I thought it was only me and I feel guilty about feeling that way. The reason why I'm the one moving and not him is because he has other children and is very close to them. from the beginning I never wanted to take him away from his children. However, in the back of my head...until now, I wish he would move.

I just looooooove living in Montreal, and the culture and values of Canada....not so sure about the States...plus we'll be living in Albany, NY anyone who's been there I'm sure can feel my pain! LOL Oh well....sacrifices we make for love!

129F

14 Oct 2008 --- I-129F sent to VSC

17 Oct 2008 ---- NOA1 (rec'd Oct.23rd)

17 Mar 2009 ---- NOA2 151days (rec'd Mar.21st)

31 Jul 2009 ---- Interview - APPROVED!! (visa rec'd Aug.5th)

16 Aug 2009 ---- BIG MOVE!!!! So many conflicting emotions!

21 Aug 2009 --- marriage - civil ceremony

AOS, EAD, AP

13 Oct 2009 --- sent to Chicago Lockbox

18 Nov 2009 -- Bio app. for AOS and EAD (Rec'd Nov. 2nd)

18 Dec 2009 --- AP and EAD APPROVED!!!! (AP rec'd Dec. 29th; EAD rec'd Dec. 31st)

15 Jan 2010 --- AOS transfered to CSC!!

19 Jan 2010 --- AOS touched

22 Jan 2010 --- AOS touched

25 Jan 2010 --- AOS touched

17 June 2010 ---AOS touched

18 June 2010 ---AOS touched

10 July 2010 --- AOS touched

12 July 2010 --- Letter to welcome new permanent resident and card ordered

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I'm so relieved to see that other people say that they didn't want to go to the US...I thought it was only me and I feel guilty about feeling that way. The reason why I'm the one moving and not him is because he has other children and is very close to them. from the beginning I never wanted to take him away from his children. However, in the back of my head...until now, I wish he would move.

I just looooooove living in Montreal, and the culture and values of Canada....not so sure about the States...plus we'll be living in Albany, NY anyone who's been there I'm sure can feel my pain! LOL Oh well....sacrifices we make for love!

Albany's not so bad :whistle: hee hee

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

I have to obtain at my earliest, my US citizenship for my husband's employ. Period. At first, I was told by his employ that I HAD to renounce my Canadian citizenship. We can all bander about all we want about whether or not we want dual, but can you imagine how I felt knowing I might have to officially renounce it??? I was SO angry! Anyway, because of this, I started to look at how I would have to do this, and it's very convoluted.

First, you have to make written application, and you HAVE to appear in front of a JUDGE, IN Canada. HE/SHE gets to determine whether or not your application gets approval, and I can't remember right now what the reasons are, but I could frankly say that from what it looked like to me, no one in VJ would EVER be given the right to formally renounce their citizenship. This is NOT taken lightly at all. This is NOT an everyday occurrance. Secondly, you can't just say, I don't want it because I don't want it...*sigh* You CAN'T have your citizenship renounced because you are GOING to be another citizen from another country. All it means is that the other country won't recognize it.

You will NOT be allowed to renounce your citizenship if you're not already a citizenship of another country. Not on the promise of it, not on "while I"m going to get it eventually...". You CAN'T be in limbo with no citizenship.

Sorry if I sound like I"m ranting, I kind of am. I had to seriously look at what I was going to do. My whole life I felt was on the line. Gene was SICK...SICK thinking I would have to choose. Call me a traitor, but I would have chosen him. I will ALWAYS be a Canadian in my heart, no matter what any damn papers say but no one was going to keep Gene and I apart.

Anyway, after all was said and done, I can have dual, which is what I'm going to do, and what I was prepared to do anyway.

I have a feeling I will be in the same situation as you as far as spouse's employer. When you have dual citizenship which passport do you get to keep? Is there something from Canada you can get to prove you are a citizen without a passport? (besides birth certificate)

AOS

Sent- 10-21-09

Tracking says Delivered by USPS-10-23-09

Check cashed-10-30-09 (MSC case # on back)

NOA 1 date-10-29-09 (Received Date 10-23-09)

Hard copy NOA - 11-02-09

Touch- 11-03-09

Received bio appt letter-11-07-09(dated 11-03-09)

Bio appt- 11-19-09

Transfer to CSC-11-18-09

Touch on 485/765- 11-19-09

Touch on 485/765- 11-20-09

Hard copy of transfer to CSC- 11-23-09

Touch on 485- 11-24-09 (now processing @ CSC email)

Touch on 485- 11-25-09

Touch on 485- 11-27-09

Touch on 485- 11-30-09

Touch on 485- 12-01-09

Touch on 485- 12-02-09

Touch on 485- 12-03-09

EAD/AP approved-12-18-09

EAD/AP touch- 12-21-09

GC APPROVED!!- 12-21-09

Notice mailed welcoming PR-12-21-09

2nd Card Production ordered email-12-22-09

Approval notice sent-12-28-09

GC arrived in the mail-01-05-10

Done with USCIS until September 14, 2011!!

ROC

Sent: 09-14-11

Received: 09-16-11

Check cashed: 09-21-11

y7nv8l5t.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

you can have a Cdn passport and a USA passport! When u come back into the USA on travels, you have to provide the POE the USA passport

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Other Timeline

when you enter Canada you use your Canadian passport, when you enter the US you use your US passport.

My Aunt has 3 passports. I think I'd get too confused :whistle::huh:

There used to be a member here at VJ who was working on US citizenship and she already had 5 or 6 or something like that. Can you imagine the passport renwal fees for all those things? sheesh! :wacko:

Edited by Reba

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.