Chittu and Piya

CRI-Have child in India or USA

8 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

All, I have a question. My wife has a CRI visa and she just came into the country in September. We are now pregnant with our first child, the question is , Do we deliver the child here or in India? What are the consequences of having the child in India? Say we do decide to deliver the child in India, do I have to file a K visa for our child? What is the deal?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
All, I have a question. My wife has a CRI visa and she just came into the country in September. We are now pregnant with our first child, the question is , Do we deliver the child here or in India? What are the consequences of having the child in India? Say we do decide to deliver the child in India, do I have to file a K visa for our child? What is the deal?

A USC does not need a visa.... The child may have a claim to US citizenship based on parentage.... If so, you must first file a Report of Birth Abroad at the consulate. If approved the child gets a US passport.

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

It's a personal choice since you're a US citizen. The child should be eligible to receive US citizenship through you.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Timeline

dont go through the hassle of delivery in india. do it here and your child will have US citizenship upon birth. your visa status does not matter to a child born in the US. every child who is born on US soil automatically becomes a US citizen regardless of the immigration status of his/her parent(s).

if u deliver in india, then your child will have to provide documentation of parents being US citizen or lawful permanent resident and then get his/her passport. definately not worth the hassle!!

USCIS (Vermont Service Center) Journey

Mailed I-130 Packet on 05/27/08

Approved: 12/23/08

NVC Journey

NVC Case Number assigned 01/02/09

Case Completed 01/21/09

End of Visa Journey

New Delhi Embassy Interview 03/17/09

VISA APPROVED!!!!!

Timeline

dont go through the hassle of delivery in india. do it here and your child will have US citizenship upon birth. your visa status does not matter to a child born in the US. every child who is born on US soil automatically becomes a US citizen regardless of the immigration status of his/her parent(s).

if u deliver in india, then your child will have to provide documentation of a parents being US citizen or lawful permanent resident and then get his/her passport. definately not worth the hassle!!

just to clarify, a birth to a lawful permanent resident outside the USA does NOT convey citizenship. In addition, only one parent being a USC is needed....

YMMV

Timeline

if u deliver in india, then your child will have to provide documentation of a parents being US citizen or lawful permanent resident and then get his/her passport. definately not worth the hassle!!

just to clarify, a birth to a lawful permanent resident outside the USA does NOT convey citizenship. In addition, only one parent being a USC is needed....

i understand. however, a lawful permanent resident can file a I-130 for a child younger than 21 years of age. that was the option i had in mind before you decided to strike through what i wrote. thank you very much!! and i understand that one parent being a citizen is sufficient to claim citizenship if you are less than 18 years of age by filing out a form N-600.

Edited by cmnb

USCIS (Vermont Service Center) Journey

Mailed I-130 Packet on 05/27/08

Approved: 12/23/08

NVC Journey

NVC Case Number assigned 01/02/09

Case Completed 01/21/09

End of Visa Journey

New Delhi Embassy Interview 03/17/09

VISA APPROVED!!!!!

Timeline

i understand. however, a lawful permanent resident can file a I-130 for a child younger than 21 years of age. that was the option i had in mind before you decided to strike through what i wrote. thank you very much!! and i understand that one parent being a citizen is sufficient to claim citizenship if you are less than 18 years of age.

What was being discussed was citizenship and acquisition of a US passport, not the ability to file an I-130 for immigration purposes.

YMMV

i'd say deliver the baby in US..why go through all the hassle in filling the CRBA when you're wife is already there in the US? if she delivers there, the baby becomes USC automatically by virtue of being born in US soil. if you decide to deliver the baby in india, the CRBA takes time to process sinc there are documents which need to be furnished before the US embassy in india issues the US passport and CRBA certificate to the child.

i am giving first hand infos here since we too underwent CRBA with our son's birth in PI. even if we're from different countries, the process is standard in all embassies..

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.