Rozytc

Identification Card limited term extension

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

Hi Folks,

Received a notice from the DMV that my Driving license will expire soon and need to submit 'legal presence document' to renew it.

I had just sent in my I -751 package last week and jsut received my I-797 notice of action that my conditional resident status is extended for a period of 1 year.

Could I use this notice as the 'legal presence document' to renew the driving license? Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks,

rosie

Filed: Timeline
Hi Folks,

Received a notice from the DMV that my Driving license will expire soon and need to submit 'legal presence document' to renew it.

I had just sent in my I -751 package last week and jsut received my I-797 notice of action that my conditional resident status is extended for a period of 1 year.

Could I use this notice as the 'legal presence document' to renew the driving license? Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks,

rosie

Yes you can, take the original NOA 1 and show them, thats all you need but maybe your SSN if you have one, you will have no problems, that should do it perfectly. I am surprised they give you such short term DL, I first applied for an ID first when I got my EAD before the green card and all I had to show was proof of residence and my I had just a few requirements but my husband's documents covered mine, and I was issued a state ID, and expiry date is 2013, when I got my C green Card, I went in on my own and applied for a Driver's Lincense and it still has the same expiry date 2013, here in WA State everything is pretty easy going including USCIS field office.Good luck, just take in that NOA 1 ,you should be fine

It really depends on the state and the dmv office you go. Get a stamp in your passport since at least that states an expiration date and most probably they will give you a DL valid for one year. Or ask them if they are satisfied with the extension letter.

See, most of our problems is that we depend in what USCIS gave as "valid documents" but for the other institutions they create their OWN "valid documents" and sometimes they are not the same as USCIS and they don't care since USCIS don't tell them what to do or what to accept.

Hi Folks,

thanks,

rosie

Yes you can, take the original NOA 1 and show them, thats all you need but maybe your SSN if you have one, you will have no problems, that should do it perfectly. I am surprised they give you such short term DL, I first applied for an ID first when I got my EAD before the green card and all I had to show was proof of residence and my I had just a few requirements but my husband's documents covered mine, and I was issued a state ID, and expiry date is 2013, when I got my C green Card, I went in on my own and applied for a Driver's Lincense and it still has the same expiry date 2013, here in WA State everything is pretty easy going including USCIS field office.Good luck, just take in that NOA 1 ,you should be fine

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

Rozytc,

I'm in the same situation! I received the letter from DMV a few weeks ago telling me the same thing. My DL will expire in Dec this year, which is the same as my conditional green card. I wonder why some states/ DMV are different from the others! So yes, I guess what we can do is to show them the extension letter from USCIS and they will give us a ONE year extension... sigh...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Some States used to provide longer term driver's license based on proof of legal immigrant status. About 2 years ago laws changed and now all States seem to renew DL for the term of validity offered by the immigration document provided. I had to renew my license a month after my green card expired and I had never received an NOA. I did get the stamp 3 weeks before my green card expired - and that is to when my DL is renewed - even though the first one I had was good for 4 years. The renewal is only good for 11 months. The rationale is because it is supposed to deter illegal immigrants from getting State ID.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Rozytc,

I'm in the same situation! I received the letter from DMV a few weeks ago telling me the same thing. My DL will expire in Dec this year, which is the same as my conditional green card. I wonder why some states/ DMV are different from the others! So yes, I guess what we can do is to show them the extension letter from USCIS and they will give us a ONE year extension... sigh...

Trust me, just take your extension letter in and you will be fine,all they need is an official govt document to show your staatus, when you get your 10 year card, run down and change it, here all they really ask for for your SSN thats it,all done,they don;'t care about residency, the first one you get is 5 - 8 years simple as that.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.