GabachaYucateca

Secured Credit Card?

25 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Wales
Timeline
Thanks for the advice in this thread, I just applied for a Capital One card and got approved (no prior credit at all) :) They may or may not be the devil, but I really need to build up credit as we want to go for a mortgage soon. Waiting to see what the credit limit is when it arrives! We're also going to get me on hubby's credit cards, I'm happy as I really didn't think I would get anything on my own with no credit (if I try to check my report, it basically tells me I don't exist).

$500

That would be great, I hope you are right :)

Removing conditions:

10/9/10 - Package sent to Vermont

10/13/10 - NOA1 date, received 10/18

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

It's $500 for most people and you can stay with them for a few years and use it from time to time to build up your credit. If you're not happy with them after that, you can always cancel it, as long as it doesn't hurt your credit.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Thanks for all the recommendations from reputable banks! I was kind of afraid of going with some weird company I'd never heard of.

He actually is a joint holder on my credit card (has his own with his name on it), but the silly boy never uses it. I'm guessing that just being linked to the account isn't enough...he actually has to use it!

Joined Blog Dorkdom. Read here: Visit My Website

Filed: Other Country: Peru
Timeline

When we got married my hubby put my name on his account and I got my own credit card with my name on it but when I went to apply for my OWN credit card they told me that it didn't count, wasn't enough, Plop!

sofsmile-1.jpg

When we got married my hubby put my name on his account and I got my own credit card with my name on it but when I went to apply for my OWN credit card they told me that it didn't count, wasn't enough, Plop!

I wonder if you were an "authorized user" on the account instead of a "joint account holder?" I've read that if you're a joint holder, then you get your own credit score.

Aug - k1 issued

Sept - marriage

Adjustment of Status

I-485, I-131, I-765 sent: 9/18

NOAs for forms - all rec'd 10/24

Biometrics appt letter - rec'd 11/01; walk-in 11/12

EAD approved 12/22; card production 12/24

AP 12/22 approved; 12/29 received in mail

2009 3/6 AOS interview: approved!

2011 ROC

Submitted I-751 01/20/2011

NOA1 01/24/2011

Biometrics Letter rec'd 02/07/2011

Biometrics Appointment 2/28/2011

ROC approved 4/11/2011

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Wales
Timeline

I wonder if you were an "authorized user" on the account instead of a "joint account holder?" I've read that if you're a joint holder, then you get your own credit score.

True. As an authorized user, I don't believe you are responsible for repaying, whereas as a joint holder you are, so therefore no credit score for just being an authorized user.

Removing conditions:

10/9/10 - Package sent to Vermont

10/13/10 - NOA1 date, received 10/18

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

True. As an authorized user, I don't believe you are responsible for repaying, whereas as a joint holder you are, so therefore no credit score for just being an authorized user.

Thanks, I was wondering about that distinction. This is something I will inquire about...although based on hubby's state of mind, may be a moot point.

Joined Blog Dorkdom. Read here: Visit My Website

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I also added my husband to all my credit cards as an authorized user and it didn't do anything for him. I guess, it's more of a ghost or shadow of my own credit, which didn't help him build his own credit. Once we saw that it didn't help, he got his own credit card.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

'Authorized user' does not help the immigrant's credit. When you call, tell them you want him to have joint responsibility for the account. That's the only way to get them a credit score 'through' you.

SA4userbar.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.