Maldez

Tourist Visa

31 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

How long can someone with a tourist visa remain in the US? My fiancee, currently living in the Philippines, has her passport and I'm thinking of just bringing her to the US to live with me while we work on getting her the k-1 visa.

Does this make any sense?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline
How long can someone with a tourist visa remain in the US? My fiancee, currently living in the Philippines, has her passport and I'm thinking of just bringing her to the US to live with me while we work on getting her the k-1 visa.

If she doesn't have a tourist visa yet she can't get one anymore cuz' you began the K1. If she already has a tourist visa it is good, she can come 6 months and this visa is good for 10 years.

Timeline

If she doesn't have a tourist visa yet she can't get one anymore cuz' you began the K1. If she already has a tourist visa it is good, she can come 6 months and this visa is good for 10 years.

Noooooo, the k-1 hasn't been filed yet. I've just started looking into the process. I'd like to get Revelyn over here now on a tourist visa and then start working on the k-1. Is this ok with immigration?

This is absolutely not true. She can attempt to come over at anytime during the process before the K-1 visa is received, however she might be denied entry at POE. It is up to the officer and whether or not they think she will be attempting to immigrate during that trip. Bring proof of ties to home and when questioned at the POE, be honest but don't offer extra info they can use against you. Say she's there to visit friends and family, not to visit fiance. There is no guarantee she will make it through, but it's not a cut and dry no.

s41029cb120113_1_0.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline

Noooooo, the k-1 hasn't been filed yet. I've just started looking into the process. I'd like to get Revelyn over here now on a tourist visa and then start working on the k-1. Is this ok with immigration?

The easy answer is that you can get it even after applying for a K1 visa and that it can be valid for up to 6 months (with an option to extend it even further)

BUT: For some countries it is almost impossible for a young attractive single lady to get a tourist visa at all. They just do not believe that there is no immigration intent. For anyone get a tourist visa you need to proof that you have no intent to immigrate. This can be done by proofing you have a job to return to, you have a significant invenstment in property and money in the bank, you have close ties with your family. Most likely if your fiance is planning on coming to stay with you and then premanently move to the US this will be difficult for her.

Then once you have the visa you need to proof the same things at the Point of Entry. Strong ties with your home country and a plan to return - at least you will need a return airplane ticket. Many people get in just with this, but people also get turn away despite having this and having a letter from their employer and other evidance that they plan to return. A surprising number of people get turned back at this point.

At the POE you will be given a I-95 form. On this will be indicated the real length of your stay. Many people get given the standard 6 months, but this is to the discression of the officer at the point of entry. If you have a return airplane ticket saying that you are planning to only stay for a few weeks, you might only be given that few weeks. (Many people book their airplane tickets to show that they will only be there for a short visit and then move their ticket date after they arrive in the US - since you are more likely to be denied entry if you show from the start that you plan to stay the full 6 months.)

Thus - although technically it is possible, be very aware that it will not be easy and it might not happen.

2008-09-22: Mailed I-129f package.

2008-09-25: NOA1

2009-01-13: RFE

2009-02-17: NOA2

2009-02-25: NVC

2009-03-03: Package 3

Timeline

The easy answer is that you can get it even after applying for a K1 visa and that it can be valid for up to 6 months (with an option to extend it even further)

BUT: For some countries it is almost impossible for a young attractive single lady to get a tourist visa at all. They just do not believe that there is no immigration intent. For anyone get a tourist visa you need to proof that you have no intent to immigrate. This can be done by proofing you have a job to return to, you have a significant invenstment in property and money in the bank, you have close ties with your family. Most likely if your fiance is planning on coming to stay with you and then premanently move to the US this will be difficult for her.

Then once you have the visa you need to proof the same things at the Point of Entry. Strong ties with your home country and a plan to return - at least you will need a return airplane ticket. Many people get in just with this, but people also get turn away despite having this and having a letter from their employer and other evidance that they plan to return. A surprising number of people get turned back at this point.

At the POE you will be given a I-95 form. On this will be indicated the real length of your stay. Many people get given the standard 6 months, but this is to the discression of the officer at the point of entry. If you have a return airplane ticket saying that you are planning to only stay for a few weeks, you might only be given that few weeks. (Many people book their airplane tickets to show that they will only be there for a short visit and then move their ticket date after they arrive in the US - since you are more likely to be denied entry if you show from the start that you plan to stay the full 6 months.)

Thus - although technically it is possible, be very aware that it will not be easy and it might not happen.

Damn this stuff is complicated! Apparently, there is no clear-cut, black and white answer. Maybe she can, maybe she'll have trouble. It might be OK, it might not be. Maybe I need to find an immigration attorney.

Damn this stuff is complicated! Apparently, there is no clear-cut, black and white answer. Maybe she can, maybe she'll have trouble. It might be OK, it might not be. Maybe I need to find an immigration attorney.

There's no reason to hire an attorney, it won't have any effect on the POE officer, which is where the issue lies. You'd be wasting your money.

s41029cb120113_1_0.jpg

Timeline

There's no reason to hire an attorney, it won't have any effect on the POE officer, which is where the issue lies. You'd be wasting your money.

I was thinking an attorney would be able to help with specific answers as to the legality of entering the US on a tourist visa when the ultimate goal was marriage.

I was thinking an attorney would be able to help with specific answers as to the legality of entering the US on a tourist visa when the ultimate goal was marriage.

I still don't see what you expect the attorney to tell you that's any different. We already told you, it is not illegal to come over on a tourist visa even after the K-1 process has started. Whether she will be given the visa/allowed entry into the US is up to the person issuing it at the time it happens. Two people with exactly the same circumstances could get two different answers depending on which officer they get. There's no legal issues here, it is theoretically allowed. Simply a matter of what the human on the other end decides in order to determine if it will happen. There's nothing to do but give it a shot and see if she is permitted through. Unless there's some other issues that might hinder her that you're not divulging, then the cut and dry answer is yes, it is possible for her to come over on a tourist visa while you wait for the K-1 to be processed. How probable? No one knows until it's attempted.

s41029cb120113_1_0.jpg

For her to get a Tourist Visa in PI it will be very difficult, regardless of K1.

She will have to show assets in PI, So much money in the bank, etc.

Many apply and very few received.

Getting a Passport in PI is fairly simple and cheap.

It is not like a America, where you go to Ticket counter with Passport in hand and buy a ticket to about any where you want to go.

youregonnalovemynutsf.jpg

"He always start the fire here in VJ thread and I believe all people will agree with me about it"

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

If you're still not sure just contact the embassy or visit their website, instead of a lawyer. The information is all there.

By all means seek an immigration attorney if you like. This site is a self-help site that only proposes to offer support, encouragement and information from others who have gone through this process. We are not attorney's. Sometimes there is conflicting information, it's best to do your own homework (google is your friend) as well as asking questions and weeding through some information. The Guides at the top of the page here are the BEST source of informaiton. We ask that everyone read them beforehand to better understand the different types of petitions.

One of the things you have to understand is that while there may be countries that allow their citizens to apply for tourist visas, some countries don't issue them very often, or in some cases, only in stringent cases. PI is a country that does not regularly hand out tourist visas, and not the to US. The ones that do get them, have LOTS of ties to their home country. Females in particular, from what I've read here on VJ, rarely if ever get a tourist visa without a substantial amount of money in the bank, a professional job, and property. Even having children and leaving them in their country, doesn't guarantee that they'll come back (according to the gov't.). So, that's what you need to know firstly.

You don't say whether you've even met your fiance. Have you been there to meet with her yet? If you have, you can mail your petition in right now, and get the process going. I don't know how much it costs for someone to apply for a tourist visa, I've heard tell $100.00? If that's not too much for you to gamble, have her make an application and pay that fee and find out if you can get one.

If they at all suspect that she's involved with an American man however, and that you're a "couple", they're going to think she's going to come to the US and then immigrate. It's all about what they believe was the "intent". There are various forms, medical, and interview etc. that must be completed in her home country during the process. If she was coming to visit you, should she be granted a tourist visa, then she'd have to be back for that part of the process. Even if you sent out the 129F petition, she could still come and visit, again, with very strong ties to her country, and mind you, if she had a tourist visa.

You need to know, that even with a tourist visa, ANYONE can be denied entry to the US that the Border officials believe might be trying to gain access to the US to immigrate. Period. Read a few threads on here to find out that it's always a gamble to see if you can gain entry. Many do make it, some do not. Some make several trips, but one time they get a BO that has suspicions and they are denied, and have to turn around and return.

Anyway, I hope this information was helpful. There is a forum on VJ for the Philippines here:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showforum=129

There is lots of good information there, and your responses will probably be from people who are/ or who have been through this process already.

Best of luck!

***I highlighted a previous posters response to you because it was distasteful. While it's true that a single female from PI will have difficulty if at all in getting a tourist visa, her personal attributes, or "looks", does not have any bearing on this.***

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

We were thinking about doing this ...

My quesiton was if she gets denied her tourist visa would it have any ill effect on her K-1?

She has a good chance of being approved for a tourist visa as a few girls from her work have received them for the US. So we thoguht it would be nice for her to come over whiel we wait for the K-1 process.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

If you are trying to get tourist visa here in the Philippines, I doubt it would be easy. Your fiance need to show strong ties to our country. If she is young, doesn't have high-salaried work, or not that rich, she couldn't get tourist visa unless otherwise she knows someone with great political influence here. Hehehe..... trust me... I had been there. They denied me for tourist visa last year because they are just 90% sure that I will go back (which I have no intention staying there more than 3 weeks because I have demanding work and school), and they opt for 100%.

Though, it is still questionable to me why they didn't ask for my evidences before concluding that I am not showing strong ties to my country. I have so much proof, but none of them were asked to see for their reference. Even though, it's still okay to me, only that I disappoint my fiance's relatives who were eager to see me for holiday. I understand their logical reasons, they are just protecting the interest of US.

Then, initial tourist visa is good for 6 months only.

Anyway, you can still try, there's no harm in trying, it is only 100usd to file. Maybe this time, its a different story. Good Luck! ;)

Lifting Condition (I-751)

09/09/2011 - Sent the package to CSC

09/13/2011 - CSC received the package

09/15/2011 - CSC cashed check and NOA1 Received

09/26/2011 - Biometrics Appointment Notice Date (Sent)

10/13/2011 - Early Biometrics

10/19/2011 - Biometrics Appointment

10/26/2011 - GC expiration

11/25/2011 - Received RFE

11/28/2011 - Sent response to RFE

01/13/2012 - Ordered card production (Approved)

01/19/2012 - 10 yrs GC received

We were thinking about doing this ...

My quesiton was if she gets denied her tourist visa would it have any ill effect on her K-1?

She has a good chance of being approved for a tourist visa as a few girls from her work have received them for the US. So we thoguht it would be nice for her to come over whiel we wait for the K-1 process.

If she gets denied a tourist visa it will have NO effect on her K-1.

It would be lovely I'm sure if she could come. As I said earlier, if you want to gamble, and you're not out of pocket too much money to do it, have her apply!

She wouldn't be able to come over for the whole K-1 process. Look at the timelines for PI and see how long it's taking. She'd need to be back in her own country to prepare for her interview and get her medical etc.

carlahmsb4.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.