Annie+Mike

B-2 Visa

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

hi guys--- I hope that I am in the right forum-- I just wanted to enquire about the B-2 vistors visa-- I live in Ireland and have received a 10 year ban after applying for a fiancee visa to live in the states due to overstay.

I am now living in Ireland with my husband (american) and we are hoping to apply for a B-2 visa so that I can visit the states for a hoilday- Does anyone know about this or of anyone who has gone through a similar situation. I would appreciate any friendly information.

Thank you

Annie and Mike :thumbs:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

A ban is a ban is a ban. It is in effect for any and or all types of visas. No visa can be issued until such time as the "sentence" has been served or the ban is "waived".

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Timeline
A ban is a ban is a ban. It is in effect for any and or all types of visas. No visa can be issued until such time as the "sentence" has been served or the ban is "waived".

Yes that is what I thought too and is the reason that I have not tried to enter for the past 4 1/2 to 5 yrs now-- However I have heard of a man in my neighbourhood in the same situation and is allowed to visit on a holiday visa for specific periods of time-- was just wondering if anyone on here had experienced it??

Yes that is what I thought too and is the reason that I have not tried to enter for the past 4 1/2 to 5 yrs now-- However I have heard of a man in my neighbourhood in the same situation and is allowed to visit on a holiday visa for specific periods of time-- was just wondering if anyone on here had experienced it??

Make sure that the man in your neighborhood is telling the whole story and is giving you accurate information. Everyone has an uncles, sisters, cousins, nephews. houskeeper who has a simple fix to every immigration issue. There is a type of waiver to get for a situation as you describe, I can't remember what it is called. It is not easy to get.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Timeline

Make sure that the man in your neighborhood is telling the whole story and is giving you accurate information. Everyone has an uncles, sisters, cousins, nephews. houskeeper who has a simple fix to every immigration issue. There is a type of waiver to get for a situation as you describe, I can't remember what it is called. It is not easy to get.

Thanks a million for that informatiion-- I wonder is it a visa waiver by any chance??

Filed: Other Timeline

I overstayed a tourist visa and had to apply to the embassy to re-enter the states as a tourist. I was denied on my first application however I went back a week later with better supporting documentation showing why I wanted to visit and was granted a one-entry tourist visa. I subsequently reapplied to visit the states and was given a multiple-entry tourist visa (B1/B2) valid for 10 years.

As I understand it while your overstay does make it more difficult for you, the embassy can seek a waiver on the ban. They were very nice to me under the circumstances and they also were very fair to somebody I know who overstayed by a year.

You should definitely re-apply. Consider taking a letter with you to your appointment that sets out when and why you overstayed, when you met your husband and got married etc. If you overstayed because of him it makes sense. Most importantly, show evidence of your jobs in Ireland - bring letters from your employer(s) confirming that you are full-time employee(s). The most important thing for them is that you won't overstay again so show them that you can't because you have ties to Ireland.

In my experience, if you accept your mistake and don't act like you are entitled to a visa they are very understanding.

Good luck!

I overstayed a tourist visa and had to apply to the embassy to re-enter the states as a tourist. I was denied on my first application however I went back a week later with better supporting documentation showing why I wanted to visit and was granted a one-entry tourist visa. I subsequently reapplied to visit the states and was given a multiple-entry tourist visa (B1/B2) valid for 10 years.

As I understand it while your overstay does make it more difficult for you, the embassy can seek a waiver on the ban. They were very nice to me under the circumstances and they also were very fair to somebody I know who overstayed by a year.

You should definitely re-apply. Consider taking a letter with you to your appointment that sets out when and why you overstayed, when you met your husband and got married etc. If you overstayed because of him it makes sense. Most importantly, show evidence of your jobs in Ireland - bring letters from your employer(s) confirming that you are full-time employee(s). The most important thing for them is that you won't overstay again so show them that you can't because you have ties to Ireland.

In my experience, if you accept your mistake and don't act like you are entitled to a visa they are very understanding.

Good luck!

How long was your overstay and what year was it?

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Filed: Other Timeline

Good luck!

Sorry for the delay in replying - I was in the states for just over 7 months in 2001. I applied for my visa within 2 years of leaving. About a year later I was given a B2. I had very specific purposes for visiting which helped - for example the first time I was going to a wedding and had the invite and the next time I was doing an exam.

Good luck!

Sorry for the delay in replying - I was in the states for just over 7 months in 2001. I applied for my visa within 2 years of leaving. About a year later I was given a B2. I had very specific purposes for visiting which helped - for example the first time I was going to a wedding and had the invite and the next time I was doing an exam.

You would have been subject to the 3 year bar, but back in 2003 and 2004, lots of people were admitted who had previous overstays, it was quite common. The real crackdown began in 2005. Today it would be much more difficult.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015