ruby_mtl

Children and dual-citizenship

8 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello all,

My fiancé (USC) and I (non-USC) have 2 beautiful daugthers together. We just started the petition for a K1 visa for me. We plan to give our children dual citizenship. They were born in Canada and I'm a Canadian citizen. We want them to have canadian passports (the oldest one already has hers), but would like the citizenship certificate for both.

Anyone had to do the "report of birth abroad"? How did it work out for you? Also we think that it will be easier for them to have dual citizenship rather than being permanent residents like me. Is this a right assumption? Does it make that much of a difference?

I would love to have people's input! Thanks in advance! :thumbs:

129F

14 Oct 2008 --- I-129F sent to VSC

17 Oct 2008 ---- NOA1 (rec'd Oct.23rd)

17 Mar 2009 ---- NOA2 151days (rec'd Mar.21st)

31 Jul 2009 ---- Interview - APPROVED!! (visa rec'd Aug.5th)

16 Aug 2009 ---- BIG MOVE!!!! So many conflicting emotions!

21 Aug 2009 --- marriage - civil ceremony

AOS, EAD, AP

13 Oct 2009 --- sent to Chicago Lockbox

18 Nov 2009 -- Bio app. for AOS and EAD (Rec'd Nov. 2nd)

18 Dec 2009 --- AP and EAD APPROVED!!!! (AP rec'd Dec. 29th; EAD rec'd Dec. 31st)

15 Jan 2010 --- AOS transfered to CSC!!

19 Jan 2010 --- AOS touched

22 Jan 2010 --- AOS touched

25 Jan 2010 --- AOS touched

17 June 2010 ---AOS touched

18 June 2010 ---AOS touched

10 July 2010 --- AOS touched

12 July 2010 --- Letter to welcome new permanent resident and card ordered

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hello all,

My fiancé (USC) and I (non-USC) have 2 beautiful daugthers together. We just started the petition for a K1 visa for me. We plan to give our children dual citizenship. They were born in Canada and I'm a Canadian citizen. We want them to have canadian passports (the oldest one already has hers), but would like the citizenship certificate for both.

Anyone had to do the "report of birth abroad"? How did it work out for you? Also we think that it will be easier for them to have dual citizenship rather than being permanent residents like me. Is this a right assumption? Does it make that much of a difference?

If they have a claim to US citizenship then they cannot be permanent residents... You (with the assistance of the consulate) must resolve this question first.... If this is validated then CRBA and US passports will be issued....

YMMV

Timeline
If they have a claim to US citizenship would a claim be just the fact of being born to a USC? Or does it imply some sort of process? We do want to resolve this before my K1 visa gets approved. Thanks for your reply! You are always so quick to answer my Q's! I appreciate it you seem to have a lot of knowledge re: immigration!

129F

AOS, EAD, AP

18 Dec 2009 --- AP and EAD APPROVED!!!! (AP rec'd Dec. 29th; EAD rec'd Dec. 31st)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
If they have a claim to US citizenship would a claim be just the fact of being born to a USC? Or does it imply some sort of process? We do want to resolve this before my K1 visa gets approved. Thanks for your reply! You are always so quick to answer my Q's! I appreciate it you seem to have a lot of knowledge re: immigration!

They potentially have a parentage claim if born to a USC... There are always caveats, but for the most part you should have few if any problems qualifying them and validating there citizenship. Get onto the website of the US Embassy or Consulate nearest you, and read about how to report a birth abroad....

http://www.consular.canada.usembassy.gov/birth_abroad.asp

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

If the USC parent signs the birth certificate as being the legitimate parent, then the child can be registered as a USC by doing the proper paperwork for report of birth abroad.

before 9/11 the consolates/embassies would issue traveling passports for the child but I don't believe that it is still happening. the passports would be turned around in 1 to 2 days.

Si me dieran a elegir una vez más_____ Nos casamos: el 01 de Julio 2008

te elegiría sin pensarlo _______________ Una cita con una abogada para validar la info de VJ: el 24 de Agosto, 2008 (Ya ella me cree)

es que no hay nada que pensar_______ El envio del I-130: el 26 de Agosto 2008

que no existe ni motivo ni razón ______ Entregado a las 14:13 PM en el 26 de Agosto, 2008 en CHICAGO, IL. Firmado por V BUSTAMANTE.

para dudarlo ni un segundo ___________ La 1ra Notificación de Acción (NOA1): el 29 de Agosto 2008

porque tú has sido lo mejor ___________ El cheque al USCIS cobró: el 2 de Septiembre, 2008

que todo este corazón ________________ Un toque el 19 de septiembre, 2008

y que entre el cielo y tú

yo me quedo contigo

-Franco deVita

Timeline
If the USC parent signs the birth certificate as being the legitimate parent, then the child can be registered as a USC by doing the proper paperwork for report of birth abroad.

before 9/11 the consolates/embassies would issue traveling passports for the child but I don't believe that it is still happening. the passports would be turned around in 1 to 2 days.

That's great to know! Someone else mentioned the possibily of DNA test....hope we won't need it!

129F

AOS, EAD, AP

That's great to know! Someone else mentioned the possibily of DNA test....hope we won't need it!

All up to the CO whether you have to have a DNA test. If kids look like the USC then the test is normally waived. Also the USC has proof he was with the mother when the kids were conceived.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Hello all,

the children has rightful claim to US citizenship since their father is USC. we undewent the CRBA process too (difference is, we're obviously from different countries), but i believe the process is merely the same in all US embassies worldwide. just get hold of the US embassy near you and ask them on what documents they require for CRBA.

for starters, they usually look for proofs of relationship prior to concepcion of the child like snail mails, money remittances, chatlogs, pictures or anything to establish USC parentage to the child claiming US citizenship. the USC will have to sign a consent form as proof of consent of passing on citizenship to the child, pre-natal records.

there were instances that an applicant may be ask for DNA. this is for cases wherein the US embassy has difficulty establishing biological parentage and DNA is the ONLY option left to erase the doubts..

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.