Maldez

Attorney vs. filing yourself

38 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi - I'm very interested in knowing the difficulty factor of filing a K-1 visa application on your own, vs. paying money to an attorney.

I just paid a lot of money, $1,750, to a big law firm (Michael S. Solomon) that specializes only in the filing of K-1 and K-3 visas, but am starting to wonder if I made a mistake.

It's been a month since I sent the money in and filled out their application. Since then they don't return my phone calls or e-mails. They haven't contacted me once for any sort of information, documents, photos or anything since the initial questionnaire that we completed.

I'm thinking of asking for my money back and filing myself. Is this a mistake?

Thank you!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline
Hi - I'm very interested in knowing the difficulty factor of filing a K-1 visa application on your own, vs. paying money to an attorney.

I just paid a lot of money, $1,750, to a big law firm (Michael S. Solomon) that specializes only in the filing of K-1 and K-3 visas, but am starting to wonder if I made a mistake.

It's been a month since I sent the money in and filled out their application. Since then they don't return my phone calls or e-mails. They haven't contacted me once for any sort of information, documents, photos or anything since the initial questionnaire that we completed.

Thank you!

The usual fee for this service appears to be about $500. Enough said. Filing for a K-1 is fairly simple unless there are problems with your situation.

Thank you!

YES! You might as well use the money to buy a computer with a fast internet connection and use the change for paying FEDEX! :bonk:

Seriously, when my wife was applying for a green card she got a lawyer. Unfortunately her lawyer lost her papers. And my wife just researched the internet, downloaded all the forms and filed it herself. Eventually she got her GC but no longer went after her lawyer. We also did the same for my IR-1 application.

If the purpose of the lawyer is just to file you K1/K3 visa, it is always a big mistake as you will only spend a lot money. The worst part is that it's not even guaranteed that they'll file your case.

Go back to your lawyer and get a refund and file the application yourself. If you need advise, just post it in this forum. There are a lot of folks who would be able to help and guide you.

Seriously, before

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi there!

That law firm was also contacted by my husband before, he had good reasons for hiring them and i did not disagree espcially that at that time I did not found some forums on K1 visas. There were many successful applicants who got their visas without hiring an attorney but by just asking help in the forum.

For me I am grateful that we got the lawyer during the processing of my case, and even when I lost some of the documents they have it on file and sent us via email/fax/mail. It happened to me before when I emailed them and I got no response. sometimes they do. when that happens I ask my husband to follow up. My husband did not tell the amount he paid, thanks for posting it.

Thank you!

Timeline

Sorry to hear that! But YES, I think you may have made a mistake IMO. Unless you have some real sketchy situation you need to work around in order to get your fiancee here, doing it yourself is not hard at all... In fact, with the help of this site and others, I was able to put together my package fairly quickly.

Even though you paid him, you will still be required to gather the necesarry documents and provide information to fill the forms out in order to apply for the visa. I was thinking of doing the same thing but once I realized what I was doing, I thought it would be more of a hinderance than anything else...just the middle man, AND I have to pay him.

I hope it goes smoother for you in the future, Good Luck!

Edited by EWRI6884
7522.gif

Timeline
Sorry to hear that! But YES, I think you may have made a mistake IMO. Unless you have some real sketchy situation you need to work around in order to get your fiancee here, doing it yourself is not hard at all... In fact, with the help of this site and others, I was able to put together my package fairly quickly.

Even though you paid him, you will still be required to gather the necesarry documents and provide information to fill the forms out in order to apply for the visa. I was thinking of doing the same thing but once I realized what I was doing, I thought it would be more of a hinderance than anything else...just the middle man, AND I have to pay him.

I hope it goes smoother for you in the future, Good Luck!

I just contacted my credit card company and had the charge reversed. I've already wasted a month with these clowns. Flying solo now!

I just contacted my credit card company and had the charge reversed. I've already wasted a month with these clowns. Flying solo now!

First step. Go to these links:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/immigrants_1340.html

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3023.html

Learn all you can and download all the forms. (Before you do that, buy a computer with a fast internet connection from your $1,750! You're goint to do a lot of surfing! :P)

If you have further questions, feel free to ask here.

Next step: File it yourself (Use the change from your computer purchase to pay for Fedex and other visa fees! :P)

Good luck and wishing you the best! :)

Edited by Jose Rizal

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I recommend filing for yourself..Dont hire attorney unless your case is really complicated.

I have seen some people here who get the service of the lawyer but instead of making the

process smoothly lol its the other way around.

But there are atty out there who are actually very good.

Anyway goodluck....

Timeline

Thank you!

IMO, the difficulty level is not as complicated as doing your own taxes (for those who itemize), but there is more to it so there is lots of paperwork, don't let that intimidate you. Just read the guides and you will be fine. To be on the safe side, make sure to send extra evidence to keep from getting an RFE. When they gave me a choice between 2 documents, I sent both (not required).

You will be collecting documents, photos and receipts and making copies either way, the difference is the lawyer will assemble the package and tell you where to sign when he gets around to it. Do it yourself and get them here faster.

Working on AOS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Thank you!

Oh my,

ABSOLUTELY! you should complain- I also paid a top notch lawyer with my K-1 visa (he specializes in K-1/K-3) , he replied to my emails every day and required my documents as soon as possible- needless to say we did everything and filed my petition in a period of 16 days! If you paid him he needs to provide the services requested- hope it goes well with you- I also made sure he was legite- so maybe you should do the same....

Edited by Matt-and-Annie

K-1 VISA Timeline

I-129F Sent :2008-10-16

I-129F NOA2 :2009-02-22

Interview Date : 2009-03-31

VISA APPROVED!!!

Visa Received : 2009-04-05

US Entry : 2009-04-26 tickets bought!

Wedding date: May 31, 2009

Praise HaShem! This has been such a blessing all thanks to him and his glorious hand!

AOS Timeline:

I-495 Sent: 2009-06-30

I-495 Received: 2009-07-01 (Fedex Overnight)

I-495 Biometrics: 2009-08-11

INTERVIEW DATE RECEIVED:: 2009-08-28

1-495 INTERVIEW DATE: 2009-09-29

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I agree to Good Girl's comment. I actually hired an attorney a big name like yours... I also signed the credit card statements and everything... but later on i realized that there is no big need for the hire anyone unless your case is complicated. I filed for my K1 all bymyself.. and got it checked by a lawyer for 250 bucks... We can all help you assemble your K1 pacakage.. its a matter up representing facts USCIS wants to see... making sure no stupid and obvious mistakes are made... and reviewing the application before it is sent... 48 hours and the job can be done. usually it take 6 months to get the interview.... then its on luck. but if your credit card has not been charged yet.. i would stop the payment. and never pay these guys in lump sum even though if they show that the charges are cheaper.

give them cash piece by piece... or dont give any

Sept 10th 2007 - Sent N400 For Naturalization

Sept 15th 2007 - Meet Fiancee online

December 18th 2007 - Left for india to see fiancee

Jan 1st 2008 - Engaged!!!!!!

Jan 15th 2008 - Biometrics Fingerprinted

May 20th 2008 - Naturalized Citizen

May 30th 2008 - Sent I129 F

June 4th 2008 - NOA 1 Received

July 3rd 2008 - Touched

September 6th 2008 - Left for France.

September 23rd 2008 - NOA2 Received

September 27th 2008 - Will leave for Malaysia from paris.

September 28th 2008 - Will meet fiance after 261 days!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 18th 2008 - Will return back to the US after spending 3 weeks with fiancee.

Dec 28th 2008 - Fiancee Visa approved

Jan 1st 2009 - Fiancee landed on US Soil

Jan 6th 2009 - Married

Jan 30th 2009 - Filed for AOS

May 31st 2009 - AOS Approved

NOA1 - Received on June 4th 2008

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Hello, First time poster here!

After stressing with my finacee that we needed an attorney I did some research into attorneys that just do immigration stuff, and the prices I was quoted were astronomical! I felt at that time however that it needed to be done because I was so worried about making mistakes and having the petition process put back months (kinda on a timeframe here).

However we decided to go it alone and as i was looking for help on how to fill out the 325a form i came accross this site and boy did my worries ease. This site is perfect for people to be able to fill out and submit their own packages that I realised i was glad I didnt spend 2500 on a attorny for this.

Our package will be mailed next week (my half is on the way over) and I would recommend that as long as you follow the guides and have enough evidence you should be fine (just echoing other peoples opinions!)

1999 - First Met Online

02-11-01 - Offcially an Item

06-30-02 - First Met In Person, can you say love at first sight

-Many travels back and forth, both to the US and Australia-

02-11-08 - Proposed and she said YES!!!!!

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Sydney, Australia

I-129F Sent : 2008-11-10

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-11-17

I-129F NOA2: 2009-03-05

Visa Granted: 2009-06-25

US Entry: 2009-06-26

Marriage: 2009-06-27

AOS/AP/EAD Mailed: 2009-09-17

NOA1 2009-09-25

Biometrics: 2009-10-27

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Nepal
Timeline

Thank you!

When i was processing my petition, from CR1 up to Naturalization process, I did all the research myself.. My husband was too busy so I helped him a lot, he just gathered all the documentation that we needED..

I had a very delicate case, filing under 319b, I was a resident for 1 year and 3 months only and get naturalized under the article in INA, but I never hired any lawyer at all.

I noticed majority of the people who hired a lawyer experienced a bad service and just a waste of money, but maybe 10% did get the help they needed.. You will see a lot of thread pertaining on hiring a lawyer in VJ..

Goodluck, i hope this lawyer worth the money you paid for the process.

Edited by Completely
jamesfiretrucksg2.th.jpgthpix.gif

Timeline

Thank you!

Oh my,

ABSOLUTELY! you should complain- I also paid a top notch lawyer with my K-1 visa (he specializes in K-1/K-3) , he replied to my emails every day and required my documents as soon as possible- needless to say we did everything and filed my petition in a period of 16 days! If you paid him he needs to provide the services requested- hope it goes well with you- I also made sure he was legite- so maybe you should do the same....

I wish I knew before how to evaluate an K-1 attorney. I ended up just going with what appeared to be the biggest, big-city, high-power law firm that was out there. Very impressive web site.

So much for appearances. They might be very capable but are just taking on anybody who'll throw money their way. Cash grabbers!

Timeline

First step. Go to these links:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/immigrants_1340.html

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3023.html

Learn all you can and download all the forms. (Before you do that, buy a computer with a fast internet connection from your $1,750! You're goint to do a lot of surfing! :P)

If you have further questions, feel free to ask here.

Next step: File it yourself (Use the change from your computer purchase to pay for Fedex and other visa fees! :P)

Good luck and wishing you the best! :)

Thanks for the helpful links and advice! I now have a book titled "Fiance and Marriage Visas" which was highly recommended. Looks like a step-by-step walk through the whole process. I'm sure I'll have tons of questions along the way but now I know right where to go to get answers!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.