noval

IR-1/CR-1 Police Clearance Help

6 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi, Every one

This is my first post in this forum, my wife applied CR-1 application behalf of me in April 2008.

every thing is gone smooth so far, i am at last stage to complete my cause but here is problem come.

i lived for one year in Russia therefore, i need to send PCC from Russia but the Russian embassy in canada is not much help full. I haired Russian lawyer and she got PCC on behalf of me. and i send original PCC to NVC which i got from Russian.

But when i called to NVC to check about my status they told me that they will not accept this certificate, i explain them that its original and i got from Russia then operator told me that he will put note and forward it for answer to their Supervisor.

i am disappoint of this decision what should i do now?

Well come all suggestion, thanks

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I got this from the NVC Reciprocity tables:

In the United States Russian documents can be requested through the Russian Embassy in Washington, DC, or the Russian Consulates General in San Francisco, New York, or Seattle. The process often takes several months

Police and Prison Records

Available. Russian law (MVD Order no. 965, dated November 1, 2001) mandates that the Ministry of Internal Affairs (MVD) provide police certificates both to Russian citizens and to foreigners who have lived or are living in Russia. The law states that in Russia, MVD offices must provide the certificate within 30 days. Those residing outside of Russia, both Russian citizens and non-citizens, may either delegate a Power-of-Attorney to apply for the certificate on their behalf in Russia, or apply directly to the Russian Consulate. Police certificates should note all names that the person has used in Russia, and should note the MVD branches in all locations that were queried.

Federal and more serious criminal records in Russia are kept at the Main Information Center (MIC), while convictions related to minor offenses (interpreted as when the punishment was to to 3 years of imprisonment) are stored in the local police (militia) archives. Court records are generally available upon a request from the individual. Prison records are generally not available.

Under Russian law, a prior conviction is expunged from the MIC's databank after a specified period of time has passed following the completion of the sentence. For "grave" crimes the period is six years; for "especially grave" crimes it is eight years. Thus, if an applicant committed a grave crime and more than six years have passed since the completion of his/her sentence, the MIC will not show a record of this crime.

In the absence of a Russian police certificate, and when dealing with applicants who could have theoretically served prison time more than eight years prior to the date of IV application, key features to look for are knuckle tattoos. Russian prison culture is vibrant and unique; tattoos serve a role of establishing rank and status, and it is quite common for males to have served time in prison to have such markings.

Based on this you will not be able to use one from the consulate in Canada for a US Visa. I suggest you assign power of attorney to your wife and have her apply for you thru one of the US consulates listed above.

JBHypno

Edited by jbhypno

IR-1 / CR-1

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Guangzhou, China

Marriage : 2007-06-11

I-130 Received : 2008-02-14

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-02-21

I-130 Touched : 2008-02-29

I-130 Congressman agrees to file expedite request : 2008-08-04

I-130 Transfered to CSC : 2008-08-27

I-130 Touched : 2008-08-28

I-130 Touched : 2008-09-04 (File received and pending at 11:30 PM)

I-130 Touched : 2008-09-05

I-130 Touched : 2008-09-08

I-130 Touched : 2008-09-19

I-130 Approved : 2008-09-19

I-130 Touched : 2008-09-22 (I think they are partying too much)

I-130 NOA2 : 2008-09-26

NVC

2008-09-29 : Received case number from operator

2008-10-01 : DS-3032 and AOS bill mailed

2008-10-03 : Mailed DS-3032 Express Mail

2008-10-06 : Received DS-3032 and AOS bill

2008-10-06 : DS-3032 received at NVC

2008-10-07 : Paid AOS fee online

2008-10-09 : AOS bill shows paid online

2008-10-09 : Mailed I-864 package Express Mail

2008-10-09 : DS-3032 approved and IV bill available online

2008-10-10 : Paid IV fee online

2008-10-13 : IV bill shows paid online

2008-10-15 : DS-230 package mailed Express Mail

2008-10-23 : Case complete

CONSULATE

2008-10-27 : Visa package shipped DHL to Guangzhou

2008-10-30 : Visa package arrives at customs clearing center in Guangzhou (2-4 months for clearance)

2009-02-19 : Visa package released from customs and delivered (3 months & 20 days later)

2009-04-28 : Interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

In the United States Russian documents can be requested through the Russian Embassy in Washington, DC, or the Russian Consulates General in San Francisco, New York, or Seattle. The process often takes several months

Available. Russian law (MVD Order no. 965, dated November 1, 2001) mandates that the Ministry of Internal Affairs (MVD) provide police certificates both to Russian citizens and to foreigners who have lived or are living in Russia. The law states that in Russia, MVD offices must provide the certificate within 30 days. Those residing outside of Russia, both Russian citizens and non-citizens, may either delegate a Power-of-Attorney to apply for the certificate on their behalf in Russia, or apply directly to the Russian Consulate. Police certificates should note all names that the person has used in Russia, and should note the MVD branches in all locations that were queried.

Federal and more serious criminal records in Russia are kept at the Main Information Center (MIC), while convictions related to minor offenses (interpreted as when the punishment was to to 3 years of imprisonment) are stored in the local police (militia) archives. Court records are generally available upon a request from the individual. Prison records are generally not available.

Under Russian law, a prior conviction is expunged from the MIC's databank after a specified period of time has passed following the completion of the sentence. For "grave" crimes the period is six years; for "especially grave" crimes it is eight years. Thus, if an applicant committed a grave crime and more than six years have passed since the completion of his/her sentence, the MIC will not show a record of this crime.

In the absence of a Russian police certificate, and when dealing with applicants who could have theoretically served prison time more than eight years prior to the date of IV application, key features to look for are knuckle tattoos. Russian prison culture is vibrant and unique; tattoos serve a role of establishing rank and status, and it is quite common for males to have served time in prison to have such markings.

Based on this you will not be able to use one from the consulate in Canada for a US Visa. I suggest you assign power of attorney to your wife and have her apply for you thru one of the US consulates listed above.

JBHypno

Based on this info how do you conclude that a police certificate from the Russian consulate in Canada would not be accepted?

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I know that, the PCC issued by Russian consulate at Canada is accepted for sure, but i send power of attorney to Russian Lawyer and then she got PCC behalf of me FROM MVD in st,epersburg. but my question is that when i send this original PCC to NVC why they do not

accept?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

JBHypno

Based on this info how do you conclude that a police certificate from the Russian consulate in Canada would not be accepted?

Always follow the instructions given by USCIS and NVC. Requirements for a PCC may differ in Canada than in the US. It is better to be safe than sorry and risk a RFE.

Noval:

If the lawyer made the request from the MVD then it should have been acceptable. I can't answer for the NVC to tell you why it was denied. You will need to call the AVR number and speak to a representative to find out why it was not acceptable in order to avoid this issue in the future. I think since making the request from the US consulate is allowed that it would be better to do it that way. The US consulate for Russia will be familar with US requirements for a PCC and it would increase the chances for it to be done correctly.

JBHypno

IR-1 / CR-1

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Guangzhou, China

Marriage : 2007-06-11

I-130 Received : 2008-02-14

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-02-21

I-130 Touched : 2008-02-29

I-130 Congressman agrees to file expedite request : 2008-08-04

I-130 Transfered to CSC : 2008-08-27

I-130 Touched : 2008-08-28

I-130 Touched : 2008-09-04 (File received and pending at 11:30 PM)

I-130 Touched : 2008-09-05

I-130 Touched : 2008-09-08

I-130 Touched : 2008-09-19

I-130 Approved : 2008-09-19

I-130 Touched : 2008-09-22 (I think they are partying too much)

I-130 NOA2 : 2008-09-26

NVC

2008-09-29 : Received case number from operator

2008-10-01 : DS-3032 and AOS bill mailed

2008-10-03 : Mailed DS-3032 Express Mail

2008-10-06 : Received DS-3032 and AOS bill

2008-10-06 : DS-3032 received at NVC

2008-10-07 : Paid AOS fee online

2008-10-09 : AOS bill shows paid online

2008-10-09 : Mailed I-864 package Express Mail

2008-10-09 : DS-3032 approved and IV bill available online

2008-10-10 : Paid IV fee online

2008-10-13 : IV bill shows paid online

2008-10-15 : DS-230 package mailed Express Mail

2008-10-23 : Case complete

CONSULATE

2008-10-27 : Visa package shipped DHL to Guangzhou

2008-10-30 : Visa package arrives at customs clearing center in Guangzhou (2-4 months for clearance)

2009-02-19 : Visa package released from customs and delivered (3 months & 20 days later)

2009-04-28 : Interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.