duane

Getting Married In Japan

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Japan
Timeline

I need some help on this my fiance and I want to get married in Japan she of course is Japanese. I spend 320 days in Iraq working so we dont live together but 16 days every 4 months. What do we need to do and how long would the process take. Also would it be wise to marry now so that we will get the visa by january of 2010? Thank you for any help.

Duane

Filed: Timeline

I need some help on this my fiance and I want to get married in Japan she of course is Japanese. I spend 320 days in Iraq working so we dont live together but 16 days every 4 months. What do we need to do and how long would the process take. Also would it be wise to marry now so that we will get the visa by january of 2010? Thank you for any help.

Duane

Hi Duane,

Why are you going to get married so fast and not do the K-1 VIAS ? Have you thought of your other options? Did you get enough floor adheasive the other day? Take care, FT

Filed: Timeline

Duane

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Nepal
Timeline

Duane

Duane,

Read the guidelines on this website on how to Petition Alien Spouse in Japan.. If you have residency in Japan, it will be easier to file Petition through the Consular Service in Japan... Please click the website below.

http://japan.usembassy.gov/e/visa/tvisa-ivpetition.html

http://japan.usembassy.gov/e/visa/tvisa-ivi130check.html

jamesfiretrucksg2.th.jpgthpix.gif

When my husband and I had our paper marriage in Japan it took them a good 4 hours at the ward office to process the paperwork (mostly due to the fact they hadn't married two foreigners before and didn't know what they were doing!). First I suggest your fiance find out the exact requirements at her local ward office - such as whether you will need to present an alien registration card/document to prove residency, how many witnesses you need, etc. One document you will definitely need to obtain is an Affidavit of Competency to Marry from the US Embassy/Consulate. Details are here: http://tokyo.usembassy.gov/e/acs/tacs-7114a.html

Otherwise it's a pretty straight forward process.. bring the required documents (family register for your wife, affidavit for yourself, etc), fill in an application form, and then wait.

DCF Timeline here

POE Timeline

08/24/2008 POE Seattle

08/29/2008 SSN assigned

09/08/2008 SSN (Card) received

09/29/2008 Green Card received

I-90 Timeline (USCIS error)

11/10/2008 Send I-90 to Texas service center

12/xx/2008 NOA1

01/07/2009 Card production ordered

01/14/2009 Card mailed

01/xx/2009 Card received

I-751 Timeline

06/02/2010 Send I-751 to California service center

06/04/2010 Received at CSC

06/07/2010 NOA1

06/09/2010 Check cashed

07/27/2010 Biometrics

07/28/2010 Touch

09/02/2010 Approved

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hi Duane ... if u millitary u can apply i-129 only Fiance visa i mean and u can expdite her visa and she well be in usa so fast almost 4 months ... good luck :)

From

happiness rules

1 :- Don’t hate anyone even though he offends you

2 :- Don’t ever worry and increase invocation to god

3 :- Live simply however your rank getting high

4 :- Expect that it will be better however the tribulations were increased and expect good thinking of good

5 :- Give more even if you were abstained

6 :- Smile even if you heart is crying bloods

Morning

of heart’s happiness!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

196029953.jpg

CLICK ON PIC TO DOWNLOAD HOLY QURAN ( MANY LANGUAGES ) ...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

670873386.jpg

Timeline
Hi Duane ... if u millitary u can apply i-129 only Fiance visa i mean and u can expdite her visa and she well be in usa so fast almost 4 months ... good luck :)

Im not millitatry so i cant do that and we want to get married that so that her family can be there at our wedding then we will get married in the states for my family. Im not a resident in Japan I just go on my vacation to be with my fiance. If I file for residecy in Japan that will be a long wait and, then I dont know how that will work if im only there for a few weeks out of the year.

I want to thank everyone in advance for all the help I get from this.

Duane

Filed: Other Country: Japan
Timeline

As Kaffy noted, you will need a certificate of competency to marry, from the US Embassy in Japan.

If I recall, it's about $30 bucks...and all you need is your passport and the form.

When your wife goes to the Ward Office, she'll need a copy of her family register.

Marriage and Immigration are 2 separate things. One should not delay the other.

As for the immigration process, things can go fast, or they can go slow.

It would be a good idea to file your petition (I-130 if you're married), because the petition phase is usually the longest part.

Some people have waited over a year for their petition to be approved, and some have been lucky enough to get an approval in

as little as 23 days (I think that's the current VJ record). We were expecting 6 to 9 months, and very fortunate to get the petition approved

in only 39 days.

After your petition is approved, you have the ability to slow the process by as much as a year.

That is, once your petition is approved, your case goes to the National Visa Center, and that's where you actually apply for the immigrant visa.

Some people have flown through NVC in less than a month, and some people have purposely taken their time to send in the various fees and forms,

in order to have everything come to fruition on their desired schedule.

You've got a lot of choices, and now that you're on VJ you have a world of information.

THAT SAID, we expect you to read through he guides and flowcharts, as well as browse the Wiki.

Once you've done some self-help, don't hesitate to ask anything.

Most importantly, keep your timeline up to date. :time:

Yo ro shi ku

LingChe NVC Guide

Using this guide may allow you to fly through NVC in as little as 11 days.

visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/LingChe_NVC_ShortCut

--------------------

Our Visa Journey

2006-11-01: Met online through common interest in music - NOT Dating Service

2007-01-28: Met in person in Paris

2007-10-02: Married in Tokyo

2008-07-05: I-130 Sent

2008-08-13: NOA2 I-130

2008-10-02: Case Complete at NVC

2008-11-04: Interview - CR-1 Visa APPROVED

2008-12-11: POE - Chicago

2009-01-12: GC and Welcome Letter

2010-09-01: Preparing I-751 Removal of Conditions

2011-03-22: Card Production Ordered

2011-03-30 10 Year Card Received DONE FOR 10 YEARS

Standard Disclaimer (may not be valid in Iowa or Kentucky, please check your local laws): Any information given should not be considered legal advice,

and is based on personal experience or personal knowledge. Sometimes there might not be any information at all in my posts. Sometimes it might just

be humor or chit-chat, or nonsense. Deal with it. If you can read this...you're too close. Step away from the LingLing

YES WE DID!

And it appears to have made very little difference.

.png

Im not a resident in Japan I just go on my vacation to be with my fiance.

In that case ask your fiance to find out from the ward office whether a non-resident alien will be allowed to marry... because I know in the ward I lived in, as well as several others they will only allow resident aliens to marry.

DCF Timeline here

POE Timeline

08/24/2008 POE Seattle

08/29/2008 SSN assigned

12/xx/2008 NOA1

01/14/2009 Card mailed

01/xx/2009 Card received

I-751 Timeline

06/07/2010 NOA1

06/09/2010 Check cashed

07/27/2010 Biometrics

07/28/2010 Touch

09/02/2010 Approved

Timeline
Im not a resident in Japan I just go on my vacation to be with my fiance.

In that case ask your fiance to find out from the ward office whether a non-resident alien will be allowed to marry... because I know in the ward I lived in, as well as several others they will only allow resident aliens to marry.

Kaffy, I'm well confused with your case.

Are either of you Japanese citizens?

I ask this because you show the Aussie flag, and indicate that your visa was adjudicated at the Australian Embassy.

In that the OP indicates the intended spouse is a Japanese citizen, there should be no reason they can not marry if he presents

the certificate of competency to marry, and his intended spouse is of legal age to marry and shows her family register.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

LingChe NVC Guide

--------------------

Our Visa Journey

Standard Disclaimer (may not be valid in Iowa or Kentucky, please check your local laws): Any information given should not be considered legal advice,

and is based on personal experience or personal knowledge. Sometimes there might not be any information at all in my posts. Sometimes it might just

be humor or chit-chat, or nonsense. Deal with it. If you can read this...you're too close. Step away from the LingLing

YES WE DID!

.png

No, I'm an Australian citizen and my husband is a USC. We were both living there the time we met and hence married there.

I understand that the OP's wife is a Japanese citizen but some ward offices require the non-Japanese spouse to be a legal resident of Japan and present an Alien registration card/certificate in order to marry.

For example in Yokohama:

http://www.city.yokohama.jp/ne/life/en/marriage.html

Other required items

For Non-Japanese : Passport, Birth Certificate, Certificate of alien registration(Gaikokujin Toroku Shomeisho)

Edited by kaffy

DCF Timeline here

POE Timeline

08/24/2008 POE Seattle

08/29/2008 SSN assigned

12/xx/2008 NOA1

01/14/2009 Card mailed

01/xx/2009 Card received

I-751 Timeline

06/07/2010 NOA1

06/09/2010 Check cashed

07/27/2010 Biometrics

07/28/2010 Touch

09/02/2010 Approved

Timeline
No, I'm an Australian citizen and my husband is a USC. We were both living there the time we met and hence married there.

I understand that the OP's wife is a Japanese citizen but some ward offices require the non-Japanese spouse to be a legal resident of Japan and present an Alien registration card/certificate in order to marry.

For example in Yokohama:

http://www.city.yokohama.jp/ne/life/en/marriage.html

Other required items

For Non-Japanese : Passport, Birth Certificate, Certificate of alien registration(Gaikokujin Toroku Shomeisho)

Ehhhh, I have to disagree. I don't believe the ward office can over-rule national process.

I see the wording in the Yokohama document, but I don't believe it's intended to advise that legal residency is a requirement.

I can see where it would be difficult for them to process two aliens.

In order for a government to marry someone, they really need to have jurisdiction over at least one of the parties of the marriage.

Jurisdiction usually means a citizen or a legal resident.

Per the US Embassy, the requirements for marriage in Japan are outlined in this link.

http://tokyo.usembassy.gov/e/acs/tacs-7114a.html

Further, we have at least a dozen friends married in different prefectures of Japan where one of the party was a USC and none were

legal residents.

LingChe NVC Guide

--------------------

Our Visa Journey

YES WE DID!

.png

I understand what you are saying. And in my situation, my husband and I, along with other non-Japanese friends of ours (Canadian, American, etc) who married in Japan were all legal residents at the time and asked to show proof of this.

I'm simply saying that the OP should be aware of this and to find out the specific requirements for his ward office.

DCF Timeline here

POE Timeline

08/24/2008 POE Seattle

08/29/2008 SSN assigned

12/xx/2008 NOA1

01/14/2009 Card mailed

01/xx/2009 Card received

I-751 Timeline

06/07/2010 NOA1

06/09/2010 Check cashed

07/27/2010 Biometrics

07/28/2010 Touch

09/02/2010 Approved

Timeline

Kaffy,

you're RIGHT that the country (in this case Japan) needs to have jurisdiction over at least one of the people getting married.

You're WRONG that the OP needs to worry about being a legal resident to marry a Japanese citizen in Japan.

Again, the government has to have jurisdiction in order to effect a marriage. Same thing with a divorce.

Let's say you move to England and want a divorce from your US Citizen husband who you married in Japan,

while you were an Australian Citizen but legal resident of Japan (wow, that's a mouthful).

Well, in order for the British government to grant you a divorce, they would have to have jurisdiction over at least one of you.

The way the jurisdiction of a non-citizen if proved is by legal residency status or in some places a time requirement.

Essentially, most governments consider that wherever you live for 6 months and 1 day or more, is the country that

has jurisdiction over you.

No reason to bog the OP down chasing after information that's not required for his case.

There's enough bogging down to be done by the system as it is.

LingChe NVC Guide

--------------------

Our Visa Journey

YES WE DID!

.png

Timeline
Kaffy,

you're RIGHT that the country (in this case Japan) needs to have jurisdiction over at least one of the people getting married.

You're WRONG that the OP needs to worry about being a legal resident to marry a Japanese citizen in Japan.

Again, the government has to have jurisdiction in order to effect a marriage. Same thing with a divorce.

Let's say you move to England and want a divorce from your US Citizen husband who you married in Japan,

while you were an Australian Citizen but legal resident of Japan (wow, that's a mouthful).

Well, in order for the British government to grant you a divorce, they would have to have jurisdiction over at least one of you.

The way the jurisdiction of a non-citizen if proved is by legal residency status or in some places a time requirement.

Essentially, most governments consider that wherever you live for 6 months and 1 day or more, is the country that

has jurisdiction over you.

No reason to bog the OP down chasing after information that's not required for his case.

There's enough bogging down to be done by the system as it is.

Thank you all for your help we are still trying to figure out what we will do. We are thinking that after we get married that she will come to the states for 90 days then leave and then come back for another 90 days do that until she is given her immigration visa.

Thank you

Duane

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.