bradcanuck

Watch your bank closely.

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Banks are falling everywhere. If they aren't falling, they are trying to solidify.

For example Bank of America posted a bunch of charges to my account without going in pending mode (as they have done for YEARS) and my account overdrafted HARD for a bunch of $5 payments (itunes etc). Normally I would understand, but these payments PEND first and I have time to transfer $ in to even them out. This time, they just posted without warning.

I called in and they basically said too bad, go bank elsewhere or watch your account closer (I have OCD, I watch it like a hawk)

I have never seen this before - but it's a couple hundred bucks I don't need to lose. Be on top of things - the sky is falling.

Current Status
July, 2011 - US Citizen

Timeline

I watched Oprah yesterday and Suze Orman on and wow what a show. Everyone needs to check their banks and make sure they are FDIC [Federal Deposit Insurance Corp.] insurance. If not get your money out and move it to a bank that is FDIC insured. Also if you have money market account check them too make sure your money is protected so if the banks go down your money is still safe.

It was a very good show. Lots of info.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
I watched Oprah yesterday and Suze Orman on and wow what a show. Everyone needs to check their banks and make sure they are FDIC [Federal Deposit Insurance Corp.] insurance. If not get your money out and move it to a bank that is FDIC insured. Also if you have money market account check them too make sure your money is protected so if the banks go down your money is still safe.

Is there a list of non-FDIC banks somewhere? I have not seen any US bank ever that is not FDIC.

YMMV

Timeline

I guess there is not sure though. I was just reading upon it for our bank, was reading the fine print and i'm starting to think that alot of banks have the FDIC on the windows and on there websites but it did say in fine print the insurance and some services are not FDIC so it worth making sure.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Is there a list of non-FDIC banks somewhere? I have not seen any US bank ever that is not FDIC.

you can find out of your bank is a FDIC bank here... click on "Bank find" in the upper left hand corner...

http://www2.fdic.gov/idasp/

Edited by *Marilyn*
mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Most major US banks are FDIC Insured. So Bank of America, Wells Fargo, Wachovia, Chase, CitiBank, they are all "safe", unless you have over $100K in your account, you're safe too. The banks are only covered to $100K per account so just keep that in mind you rich people that aren't bleeding money in the market.

As for banks going under, the major banks have enough cash to cover your accounts but their big concern is writing down massive losses for bad mortgages or loans. I the government should have stepped in a lot sooner to regulate this situation with the big mortgage lenders and banks, but instead they are not reacting to the market and they think injecting money is going to fix the problem, it's not. The only thing it's going to do is teach those people that defaulted on their mortgages that it's ok to not pay, and to make sure the coffers of the executives are full so they don't run away from their failed business plans. No one was complaining 5 years ago when these companies were making hand over fist.

Well, I'll get off my soapbox now. The only way the banks will not be able to cover your accounts is if you are with a small bank or if you have over $100K, or if everyone in the entire US decided to withdraw all their money and go to the good old piggy bank or shoe box for saving in times like this. This is dire times but it the market is at a bottom or very near it. It's time to invest and make money. 2009 is going to be good.

History

12/2000 Met Online

02/14/2001 Started dating

04/20/2001 Met in person

03/2002 Moved in together in the US

2002 - 2007 working in US on TN-1 Visa

05/2005 Registered as Common-law

06/2005 Proposed and Engaged

08/30/2007 - Married

I-130 (156 Days)

02/20/2008 I-130 Filed

03/10/2008 NOA1 - CSC confirmation sent

03/12/2008 date on online tracking - Touched

08/11/2008 - NOA2 - I-130 APPROVED!!! USCIS page updated. (156 Days)

NVC

08/14/2008 - NVC received my application and has assigned me a case number. Waiting for Beneficiary letter.

08/15/2008 - e-mailed the NVC for choice of Agent DS-3032, not sure if I was suppose to do this before actually getting paperwork sent to me.

08/25/2008 - AOS Fee Bill and DS-3032 Generated

08/30/2008 - Letter Recieved

09/02/2008 - AOS Fee Bill Paid and DS-3032 Choice of Agent e-mail sent

09/03/2008 - AOS Fee Bill Recorded as Paid

09/10/2008 - NVC sends DS-3203 Receipt Confirmation

09/10/2008 - IV Fee Bill Available and Paid

09/11/2008 - IV Fee Bill Processed - PAID, Coversheet Generated

09/11/2008 - Following directions on James' Shortcuts for creating DS-230 Package

09/18/2008 - Sent in I-864 and DS-230 (FedEx Overnight)

09/29/2008 - NVC Case Completed!

09/??/???? - Packet never received (sent in with James' Shortcuts as soon as bill was paid)

12/03/2008 - Interview - APPROVED!

12/04/2008 - Visa Received

you can find out of your bank is a FDIC bank here... click on "Bank find" in the upper left hand corner...

http://www2.fdic.gov/idasp/

Thank you for the info! Mine is (thank goodness!), this is definitely something to check up on.

See my timeline for my K-1 and AOS/EAD/AP details.

ROC

April 1, 2011-Packet sent, back to the grind!

April 2, 2011-USPS confirms delivery to CSC

April 18, 2011-Received biometrics letter

May 5, 2011-Biometrics appointment, quick and easy

June 16, 2011-Card production ordered!

June 24, 2011-Card received

CRW_7744web-1-1.jpg

My wonderful little family: Dennis, Andrea, and Malcolm

Yeah, no kidding BradCannuck!

A few weeks ago, well maybe like even last year, I asked my sweetie to consider moving most or at least a lot of his money (savings) to Canada.

Why not?

Sure the exchange rate is better now than last Autumn and so now may just be the time.

He is not convinced that there is a problem.

I told him that he will feel safe as long as he continues to live like an ostrich (his head buried in the sand).

Bah!

Well, what can I say...I get strong feelings about things!!!

:star:

SpiritAlight edits due to extreme lack of typing abilities. :)

You will do foolish things.

Do them with enthusiasm!!

Don't just do something. Sit there.

K1: Flew to the U.S. of A. – January 9th, 2008 (HELLO CHI-TOWN!!! I'm here.)

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

AOS: Mailed V-Day; received February 15th, 2007 – phew!

I-485 application transferred to CSC – March 12th, 2008

Travel/Work approval notices via email – April 23rd, 2008

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Funny-looking card arrives – September 6th, 2008 :)

Mailed request to remove conditions – July 7, 2010

Landed permanent resident approved – August 23rd, 2010

Second funny looking card arrives – August 31st, 2010

Over & out, Spirit

Timeline
Most major US banks are FDIC Insured. So Bank of America, Wells Fargo, Wachovia, Chase, CitiBank, they are all "safe", unless you have over $100K in your account, you're safe too. The banks are only covered to $100K per account so just keep that in mind you rich people that aren't bleeding money in the market.

As for banks going under, the major banks have enough cash to cover your accounts but their big concern is writing down massive losses for bad mortgages or loans. I the government should have stepped in a lot sooner to regulate this situation with the big mortgage lenders and banks, but instead they are not reacting to the market and they think injecting money is going to fix the problem, it's not. The only thing it's going to do is teach those people that defaulted on their mortgages that it's ok to not pay, and to make sure the coffers of the executives are full so they don't run away from their failed business plans. No one was complaining 5 years ago when these companies were making hand over fist.

Well, I'll get off my soapbox now. The only way the banks will not be able to cover your accounts is if you are with a small bank or if you have over $100K, or if everyone in the entire US decided to withdraw all their money and go to the good old piggy bank or shoe box for saving in times like this. This is dire times but it the market is at a bottom or very near it. It's time to invest and make money. 2009 is going to be good.

:thumbs: Yup! Well said. People are freaking out but unless you have over 100K in your bank, the m oney will be insured by the FDIC. I've never come across a bank that isn't insured by the feds, and if yours is one of them, you need to look into these kinds of things before you open up an account somewhere.

I agree that injecting money is not going to do much but cover the lender's ####### as well as people who could not afford their mortgages. For example, two teachers living in a $700k home. People always want to live so unreasonably, and banks love to make money off of said people.

Now as lenders tighten, it's going to be hard for someone like me, first time home buyer, to obtain what I need. It's incredibly frustrating. My husband and I have many close friends in the financial industry in NYC and it's a hard time for them, and for all of us.

I also heard a lady at work say shes going to start hiding money in her mattress 1929 style. I don't think she understands how it works really.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline

There are ways around the $100K limit as it is a PER account limit not a per bank limit.... You can have Checking\Savings\Retirement\Certificate of Deposit accounts, one each held jointly and\or individually.

Not that I need such a scheme but such a scheme is available for the filthy rich.

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Timeline
There are ways around the $100K limit as it is a PER account limit not a per bank limit.... You can have Checking\Savings\Retirement\Certificate of Deposit accounts, one each held jointly and\or individually.

Not that I need such a scheme but such a scheme is available for the filthy rich.

This is not true. It's a per bank issue. There was a woman on CNN that had 100k in one account, and 20k in another. FDIC rolled them together and she lost 20k when her bank in Nevada closed.

It is PER BANK, NOT PER ACCOUNT.

Current Status
July, 2011 - US Citizen

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Actually, I believe it's a per *ownership* , and per bank limit.

eg. FDIC insurance for a Married couple (no kids) at one bank

100K per person - 2 single ownership accounts = 200K

100K per person - joint ownership account = 200K

100K per person - 2 revocable trust accounts (POD accounts - H in trust for W, W in trust for H) = 200K

250K per person - 2 IRAs = 500K

So if you spread your 100Ks around at different banks, you can have a fair bit of FDIC insured funds. Even at one bank, you can get quite a bit of coverage.

This is from an FDIC publication. :star:

Edited by cdn_in_wa

Timeline

This is not true. It's a per bank issue. There was a woman on CNN that had 100k in one account, and 20k in another. FDIC rolled them together and she lost 20k when her bank in Nevada closed.

It is PER BANK, NOT PER ACCOUNT.

You are wrong but I was partially wrong... It is not per bank but it is based on ownership category...

A married couple can have easily get up to $300k in coverage in ONE BANK. All they need to to is each have an individual account (2) and a joint account (1) for a total of three. Each account qualifies individually. As long as no account has $100k in it it is all covered.

Even Suze Orman would agree with this

http://myfdicinsurance.gov/

Way To Increase Your Coverage

Since accounts at different banks are insured separately, the easiest way to increase your coverage is to simply keep less than $100,000 at any one bank. You could have $100,000 each at 500 different banks, and be insured for $50 million in total.

You may also qualify for more than $100,000 in coverage at one insured bank if you own deposit accounts in different ownership categories. For example, here is a way that a husband and wife could qualify for $600,000 in total insurance all at one bank:

http://www.mymoneyblog.com/archives/2007/0...is-covered.html

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Apparently, NCUA is the equivalent of FDIC for credit unions, one of which I'm a member...anyone know anything about NCUA?

Jen

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

Timeline
Apparently, NCUA is the equivalent of FDIC for credit unions, one of which I'm a member...anyone know anything about NCUA?

Jen

Yup, exactly

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.