tammy2688

AP - From Secuity Checks to ending of AP

11 posts in this topic

I have seen many people waiting on AP begin insulting the US government and its officials, and being ignorant about the rules and regulations that every applicant coming from particular nations have to follow. My view is that if you are so persistent to enter a nation, it is best to not insult it as this is indeed your choice destination. No one is forcing you to enter or begging you to increase the population of the US.

We USC have gone out to various parts of the world and fallen in love with citizens of other nations and because our life does not allow us to immediately relocate there, and because there are much more opportunities in the US, we file for our SO's petitions in order for them to be able to immigrate here. It is again a privilege combined with God's permission and persistence, that this dream of being together with our SO's in the US becomes a reality.

AP is not to pick on anyone or to make life miserable. This of coarse is hard to believe because we all feel some time or another that these are indeed the cases.

My husband was placed in AP one year ago. Yes, an entire year of limbo and unfortunately, we were not exerienced in the immigration process like others of you out there to know what to do. One example is, I learned the DOS number about 4 months into AP.

Anyway, during my husband's interview, the consulate officer said there was nothing wrong with our case, did not ask for any further documents. She said the case is ok and issued the 221g form. After this, it has been security checks for over 5 months when the 1st check was completed. But due to very low man-power at the embassy, they could not issue the visa because the checks expired by the time they got to it. Round two of security checks proved in our favor. This time, Aug 24th, we learned that AP is done. There is still the medical that needs to be done and the actual visa issuance but overall AP, after 1 year, has been completed.

I will share my advice to those who are expecting long APs because though you wish to be done in 2 months and let the rest suffer for 10-12 months, it simply is the case that your security checks may last that long or longer. So, to face reality, use these tips:

1. At around month 4, call DOS at 1-202-663-1225. More information here http://travel.state.gov/travel/about/how/how_1246.html. Althought there are variations, ndividual checks usually take around 3-4 months to finish. If your first check is done, you may be able to contact the embassy around this time, bring attention to your case and get some action on your case before checks expire again.

2. If you are past the 5 month mark, it is safe to say you are at the 2nd or 3rd check, as they have expired, so you can expect to wait a month or two or 4-5 months again due to redoing of the security checks. This means your AP could last 8-12 months.

3. Remember, generally, AP is done within 1 year. There are people who have waited longer, usually in T-countries such as Iran, Iraq, etc.

4. AP can mean anything, from security checks, to consulate review, to even printing of the visa. So, if your hear that checks are done, but call DOS and hear you are in AP again, it might just mean your case is done with security checks and is under final review (which means the visa is coming soon!)

5. Contact congressmen/senator when you see that security checks are done yet consulate review is taking too long. I learned this the hard way, that there is NOTHING any human can do to expidiate security checks while they are going on because no one agency has them, it is a multi-agency process.

6. If your record is clean and your relationship is clearly genuine, there is not need to worry during AP. Sooner or later, you will get the visa.

7. Have FAITH in GOD. Know that your relationship is one that you treasure with your whole being and that God will reunite you with your loved one.

8. Understand that no matter how long it takes, cases that go through AP have been approved and that is why it is sent for checks and this means you will get the visa.

Good luck to all of you and I am praying for myself and everyone else waiting.

God bless,

Tam

AP: Over 1 year.

Visa: Nov 2

US Entry: Nov 13, Alhamdulillah.

BelieveButterflyfortile.jpgPrayerisPower_Cover.jpghello.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
I have seen many people waiting on AP begin insulting the US government and its officials, and being ignorant about the rules and regulations that every applicant coming from particular nations have to follow. My view is that if you are so persistent to enter a nation, it is best to not insult it as this is indeed your choice destination. No one is forcing you to enter or begging you to increase the population of the US.

We USC have gone out to various parts of the world and fallen in love with citizens of other nations and because our life does not allow us to immediately relocate there, and because there are much more opportunities in the US, we file for our SO's petitions in order for them to be able to immigrate here. It is again a privilege combined with God's permission and persistence, that this dream of being together with our SO's in the US becomes a reality.

AP is not to pick on anyone or to make life miserable. This of coarse is hard to believe because we all feel some time or another that these are indeed the cases.

My husband was placed in AP one year ago. Yes, an entire year of limbo and unfortunately, we were not exerienced in the immigration process like others of you out there to know what to do. One example is, I learned the DOS number about 4 months into AP.

Anyway, during my husband's interview, the consulate officer said there was nothing wrong with our case, did not ask for any further documents. She said the case is ok and issued the 221g form. After this, it has been security checks for over 5 months when the 1st check was completed. But due to very low man-power at the embassy, they could not issue the visa because the checks expired by the time they got to it. Round two of security checks proved in our favor. This time, Aug 24th, we learned that AP is done. There is still the medical that needs to be done and the actual visa issuance but overall AP, after 1 year, has been completed.

I will share my advice to those who are expecting long APs because though you wish to be done in 2 months and let the rest suffer for 10-12 months, it simply is the case that your security checks may last that long or longer. So, to face reality, use these tips:

1. At around month 4, call DOS at 1-202-663-1225. More information here http://travel.state.gov/travel/about/how/how_1246.html. Althought there are variations, ndividual checks usually take around 3-4 months to finish. If your first check is done, you may be able to contact the embassy around this time, bring attention to your case and get some action on your case before checks expire again.

2. If you are past the 5 month mark, it is safe to say you are at the 2nd or 3rd check, as they have expired, so you can expect to wait a month or two or 4-5 months again due to redoing of the security checks. This means your AP could last 8-12 months.

3. Remember, generally, AP is done within 1 year. There are people who have waited longer, usually in T-countries such as Iran, Iraq, etc.

4. AP can mean anything, from security checks, to consulate review, to even printing of the visa. So, if your hear that checks are done, but call DOS and hear you are in AP again, it might just mean your case is done with security checks and is under final review (which means the visa is coming soon!)

5. Contact congressmen/senator when you see that security checks are done yet consulate review is taking too long. I learned this the hard way, that there is NOTHING any human can do to expidiate security checks while they are going on because no one agency has them, it is a multi-agency process.

6. If your record is clean and your relationship is clearly genuine, there is not need to worry during AP. Sooner or later, you will get the visa.

7. Have FAITH in GOD. Know that your relationship is one that you treasure with your whole being and that God will reunite you with your loved one.

8. Understand that no matter how long it takes, cases that go through AP have been approved and that is why it is sent for checks and this means you will get the visa.

Good luck to all of you and I am praying for myself and everyone else waiting.

God bless,

Tam

Hey Tammy

first I would like to congratulate you, i have been folowing all of your posts..!!!

i am so very happy for you.. and now inshAllah is the time you can look forward to meeting your husband soon...

I am sure yall must be excited, your visa journey was long, and you have been so patient...

I just got into AP july 28th from chennai and we are still waiting..

again nothing wrng witn my case like CO said but did not say why we are going under review..

she told us 4-6 weeks but the time has now passed..

only thing thats keeping my husband (in india) strong andme strong is faith in GOD!

thats all

keep us posted please

take care!!!!!

10-12-07 -mailed i130 to VSC

10-16-07- received by VSC

1-11-08- i130 NOA1

2-24-08-view case online

4-19-08- i130 NOA2

4-24-08- NOA2 hardcopy received

4-24-08- NVC CASE #ASSIGNED MDR

5-04-08- EMAILED CHOICE OF AGENT TO NVC

5-05-08- DS3032 AND AOS fee bill was generated today

5-05-08- paid AOS fee bill $70 online

5-07-08- AOS FEE now says PAID online, can print cover sht.

5-07-08*cald NVC and msg says AOS $recvd

5-12-08-DS3032 EMAIL Accepted

5-13-08*cald NVC and msg now says DS3032 choice of agent has been received.

5-13-08-mailed AOS i864 packet w/printed cover sheet from online payment (certified mail- priority)

5-15-08-AOS packet received by NVC

5-18-08 iv FEE bill invoiced

5-18-08 iv fee $400 paid online

5-20-08-iv fee cleared, able to print covr shet online

5-21-08-mailed DS230 packet to NVC via priority mail

5-29-08 aos ACCEPTED

5-29-08- DS 230 entered in system

6-3-08-cse cmplte.

6-11-08 case left NVC to chennai via DHL

6-16-08 case reached chennai

7-2-08 appt letter received by beneficiary

7-4-08 medical done in chennai

7-28-08 interview- AP for 4-6 weeks (awaiting name chk clearance-told by chenai operator)

8-20-08 chennai forwarded file to DOS- according to inquiry from congressmans office

(also confirmed by DOS)

8-28-08 file reached DOS- told by operator

9-2-08- last update to case,told by DOS

12-12-08 emailed chennai embassy asking status of our case, and got email to send passport..

12-15-08 submitted passport to vfs

12-19-08 VISA ISSUED! in hand!

12-25-08 hubbys arrival! smooth POE!

1-16-09 green card arrives

1-27-09 SSN card in mail

You know what? I am seeing some correlation with the NOA1 to NOA2 timeframe vs. AP time. Seems those who got approved quickly get longer APs and vice versa.

A fellow Bangladeshi of mine took 6 months for NOA2 and 5 months for AP. My NOA2 took 2 months, and AP now for a year.

Maybe if checks aren't done early on, they are done later or maybe after new names are added to the AP list, there is more chance of getting a name hit later.

I don't know what to make sense of anymore but I am trying always.

Tam

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline

Tammy you are exactly right. That is what the DOS told me about my case. She said "You should have known it moved to fast and no checks were done."

Marriage : 2008-01-26

I-130 Sent : 2008-02-06

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-02-20

I-130 Approved : 2008-03-19

NVC Received : 2008-03-25

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2008-04-07

Pay I-864 Bill 2008-04-17

Receive I-864 Package : 2008-04-21

Return Completed I-864 : 2008-04-22

Return Completed DS-3032 : 2008-04-07

Receive IV Bill : 2008-04-20

Pay IV Bill : 2008-04-21

Receive Instruction Package : 2008-05-01

Case Completed at NVC : 2008-05-12

NVC Left : 2008-05-23

Consulate Received :

Packet 3 Received : 2008-05-01

Packet 3 Sent : 2008-05-01

Packet 4 Received : 2008-05-31

Interview Date : 2008-07-15

result AP

2009-05-15 case returned to USCIS

2009-06-29 case received at USCIS

2010-03-12 letter from USCIS stating reason for case being returned and asking for additional info of a on going relationship

2010-03-29 sent next day air-2010-03-30 10:30 USCIS signed for package

2010-03-31 USCIS updated accoun

2010-04-10 received email case reaffirmed

2010-08-18 2nd interview

9/2/2010 Visa Received

9/16/2010 Entered USA

10/15/2010 received 10 year GC

:http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pGV...s4pIA&hl=en

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Guinea
Timeline

Tammy, congratulations!

Our case is another example of a fast NOA2 and a longer AP. Our I129F petition for a K1 was approved by the Vermont service center within 6 weeks of NOA1, and our interview was on April 29th. It only took 3 months from NO1 to the date of the interview. We know our relationship has been verified and all the paperwork is in order. We are waiting for security clearance and will reach the 5 month mark on Sept 29th.

Your suggestions are good. To address one point though, the checks may take more than 3 or 4 months the first time around. Our checks have not expired, I've been in regular contact with DOS and the embassy as well. The Dakar embassy has a list of open cases they check on a regular basis, but just to be safe I call the DOS every couple of weeks. The DOS has also told me that the summer months are a lot busier than the winter months.

I also wholeheartedly agree with you about not insulting this country and it's officials. There are reasons these checks are in place and people should not forget what 7 year anniversary we just passed. It was not a good one. We need to keep our borders safe so that type of tragedy does not happen again. It would be nice if the processes were more timely, but it is what it is.

I don't think we can make sense of any of this. As you've said, put your faith in God and trust that it will all unfold as it's meant to be. It will be so worth the wait.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

I am sorry--but I don't believe there is any rhyme or reason to the U.S. visa process. It is impossible to figure out. I just got off the phone with DOS and these people know absolutely nothing! All they can tell you is your case is still in AP and that the embassy will know before they will if the case is approved or not. While I understand what people say about this being a privilege, it certainly doesn't seem like much of one to me. If I had known what a total red tape nightmare this was going to be, I would have moved to my husband's country and stayed there for the required time to file DCF. When people complain about illegal immigration in the U.S. they only need to look at the complete inefficient process of legal immigration to find the source of the problem. I am really sick of this #######!

Visa Journey:

Marriage: July 6, 2007

I-130 Sent: August 7, 2007

NOA1: September 24, 2007

I-129F Sent: September 25, 2007

NOA1: October 9, 2007

NOA2: March 7, 2008

Packet 3: March 28, 2008

Interview: June 24, 2008

AP: June 24, 2008

10 months in AP--will this ever end?

miamiwife, I completely agree with you. I go through relapses of completely hating everything about this process to appreciating the fact that at least our cases did not get sent back to USCIS. I feel just as you do. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

God bless,

Tam

Hyd617 - thanks! Sending you my prayers as well. May God issue your visa soon.

FSUmome - thank you for the confirmation. This eases a lot of thinking that I have had for a while about the visa process time frame.

WanTanNara - yes I stated they are usually 3-4 months but also the very important fact that each case is individual and there are variations. I too agree that faith in God is the most important thing. Otherwise you will see many many many many many people getting visas earlier than you whoe have spent less time in the process, which may or may not include AP and it will kill you inside because you feel the pain of your situation even more. Better to remember God's plan for each of us is different and the time we are supposed to wait is right, in the larger scope of things, whether we can really see it or not. That is, after all, what belief is, having faith when you really cannot know or see what your are believing in.

This year has been so full of ups and downs, my brain is numb and I am trying very hard to do well at my university through all this. Sometimes I cannot remember things I did even an hour ago...my mental state has suffered, but mental capacity has grown.

I hope everyone has a better experience from now on. Maybe this Fall we will have a lot of good news!

God bless,

Tam

Edited by tammy2688

Timeline

tammy any news on ur husbands visa??

did he submit his passport yet?

just anxiously waiting to know!!

good luck with all!

1-11-08- i130 NOA1

2-24-08-view case online

4-19-08- i130 NOA2

5-13-08-mailed AOS i864 packet w/printed cover sheet from online payment (certified mail- priority)

5-29-08 aos ACCEPTED

6-3-08-cse cmplte.

7-28-08 interview- AP for 4-6 weeks (awaiting name chk clearance-told by chenai operator)

8-20-08 chennai forwarded file to DOS- according to inquiry from congressmans office

(also confirmed by DOS)

12-12-08 emailed chennai embassy asking status of our case, and got email to send passport..

1-27-09 SSN card in mail

Thanks fo asking, I am thinking about all of you too.

The embassy kept his passport from July. They said processing is completed but I don't know when he will be called in to do the medical. After that is done, then we can think about the visa.

I have lost many brain cells deciphering the goings-on of the embassy.

Now, after a year of AP, I just want my husband to come home.

Hyd: Don't give up. Your visa will be come soon!

God bless,

Tam

Timeline
Thanks fo asking, I am thinking about all of you too.

The embassy kept his passport from July. They said processing is completed but I don't know when he will be called in to do the medical. After that is done, then we can think about the visa.

I have lost many brain cells deciphering the goings-on of the embassy.

Now, after a year of AP, I just want my husband to come home.

Hyd: Don't give up. Your visa will be come soon!

God bless,

Tam

tammy i hope these last few days of ramadan brings all of us some good news...

hang in there :)

1-11-08- i130 NOA1

2-24-08-view case online

4-19-08- i130 NOA2

5-29-08 aos ACCEPTED

6-3-08-cse cmplte.

(also confirmed by DOS)

1-27-09 SSN card in mail

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.